Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have noted that over the last 3000 miles I have used a litre of coolant, not seeing any obvious leaks. Could this be the dreaded radiator/gearbox issue starting? Anyone any advise for me and any idea of what I should expect as a bill? I have had this issue on my ls430 and it was around £500 to fix. Thanks 

I think if you fixed it with £500 you did well!  Have you noticed any oil in your coolant?  I may be wrong, but I would have thought that if a litre of coolant had worked its way into the transmission you'd have noticed some strange behaviour by now. 

• Like 2

Hi no change in coolant colour and no change in gear changes, I will book it in for a check on the hoses etc. The car has done 77,500 miles and as a 2007 car is 14 years old so it maybe time to change the radiator.

11 hours ago, PJ Murphy said:

so it maybe time to change the radiator.

John, the time to do all this remedial work was probably when you bought this car or at least 4 years ago             :unsure:

Having had a dreaded gearbox / water ingress issue on your Ls430 and seeing from this forum earlier advice about the same issues with the Ls460 .......... you were amazingly lucky to have got away with just £500 last time ......  it's understood that this issue can simply cause gearbox write-off, and hence economic car write-off to take place 

wish you well ............  do keep us posted please with your outcomes

Malc

• Like 3

I took off the plastic engine cover to have a look for any obvious leak and found this leak just by the top up tank. I take it that whilst I need to change the radiator this is not a leak that will effect the gearbox issue? Thanks 

593840A4-3BAF-4A0C-8ABD-362E49820E76.jpeg

• Like 1

No, that's just your radiator leaking from the top, get a new rad and you'll also save your transmission in the future but the leak you have now won't harm it.

Many moons ago a slight leak from the header tank would have been sorted by a trip to the local radiator repair company. These were generally dark, damp and dingy places usually accessed via a well potholed unmade road on the outskirts of town.

I remember taking my brother to one such place after his 3.0S Ford Capri sprang a leak, the guy took a look and immediately reflowed the solder around the header tank for a couple of pounds sterling.

These places no longer exist, for starters you would no longer be allowed to just walk into the workshop and of course the use of lead solder has been mostly banned.

Add in the fact that plastic has replaced the previously metal header tanks and there you have it...a non repairable radiator which results in purchasing a new one being the only option and a thousand years of rot down in a landfill for the old one.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

and a thousand years of rot down in a landfill for the old one.

plastic plastic plastic ☠️ .............  at least a steel dead one ( radiator )  and all else made of metals can be reprocessed / re-made into something else of use  ...... a toaster maybe .............  or in olden times ....  another re-useable car radiator

I don't want plastic plastic plastic  .....  I want most of what I buy to have a good useful life and end of life too .......... that's why I use loose tea in my teapot rather than tea bags and chopping down trees to make the " bags " :wink3:

Malc

I don’t want to be the bearer of more bad news Malc but I think the teabags actually contain plastic along with the tea powder.

The only times I go to the local “Recycling Centre” is to take garden “waste” so pruning cuttings and the like, grass cuttings go on my pile.

I see people there with their 50 plus inch plasma TVs and watch them carefully put them in the designated area knowing with confidence the replacement from Argos has already been delivered.

For 20 odd years that was my job, TVs back in the 70s had real wood cabinets and if rented or owned were repaired when they went wrong. At that time they were a “luxury” item and people like myself were respected. “ The TV man’s here Mam” “Oh I’m so glad your here, would you like a cup of tea, beer, large scotch or Christmas hamper?”

Even today’s TVs can be repaired generally for a few quids worth of parts, a soldering iron and a bit of technical know how. Makes me smile when I see Curry’s “Know How” technical help...the only thing they are interested in is selling you a new one as they “Know Nowt” 

Anyway back to topic, where are you planning on getting your new radiator from JP?

4 hours ago, steve2006 said:

but I think the teabags actually contain plastic along with the tea powder.

makes me even more determined to ever only use loose tea in my teapot ......  it's an old silver plated Victorian one I'm afraid ...  our prior china teapots were always getting chipped etc ........  the solid silver teapot has eluded me simply on price ...................  and the mention of China makes me shiver as do chips !

Malc

Radiator and fluid ordered from local Hedge End Lexus dealer around £325 in total inc vat. I have a friendly garage where the proprietor is ex Bentley trained and worked on my Lexus (400 and 430) and car booked in within next two weeks so will report back on final total bill but expect around £500. 

• 3 weeks later...

So today the radiator was fitted abs all is good. The radiator and fluid was just under £300 and the fitting was £159 so £41 less than I thought so very grateful to my friendly garage. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PJ Murphy said:

So today the radiator was fitted abs all is good. The radiator and fluid was just under £300 and the fitting was £159 so £41 less than I thought so very grateful to my friendly garage. 

Excellent result!

Yes it was a relief as I saw the US you tuber with $15,000 work list and started to choke wondering what I had bought into but all is good now Thanks

• Like 1