Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto® multimedia system

As a valued Lexus owner, we'd like to offer you the opportunity to upgrade to the latest Lexus multimedia system. To make the most of its intuitive new features, including apple CarPlay® and Android Auto®” 

Received the above message from my local dealership and would like users opinion. Is it worth spending money to have them install this software or is it just eye candy? I don’t have it on my UX being an early 2019 model and presume it wasn't an available option then (UX250H with Premium Plus pack)

Thanks Colin I've yet to find out how much they will charge me. Not seen any demos of the apps in use so forgive my ignorance but the route map information would be displayed on the UX multimedia existing screen (mines 7") and not on the Iphone?

Anybody know if such an update is available or coming to CT200h 2016 Luxury/Premium?

Would mean that map update from Lexus would no longer be needed. They would lose money? Strange thing.

20 minutes ago, Ed the Ted said:

Thanks Colin I've yet to find out how much they will charge me. Not seen any demos of the apps in use so forgive my ignorance but the route map information would be displayed on the UX multimedia existing screen (mines 7") and not on the iPhone?

Correct. You get a simplified Iphone display on your Nav screen and you control it via the touchpad or Siri voice control. The following gives you an idea but unfortunately doesn't go into any of the apps:

I know this is an American video but it demonstrates some of the capabilities of the system.

I can't get it for my 2018 RX so I've just got a third-party add-in device that does the job but that was £200. For £80 it's an absolute 'no-brainer', just have it done.

My favourite navigation is Sygic and that's just been released on the Android Auto platform, which means that for me, it's worth it for just that one app alone.

25 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Anybody know if such an update is available or coming to CT200h 2016 Luxury/Premium?

Unfortunately not, I don't believe there is a retrofit for the CT and for the models where there is one they only go back to 2018 models as the oldest but mainly 2019/2020 models.

25 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Would mean that map update from Lexus would no longer be needed. They would lose money? Strange thing.

Yes, if you use a Nav application from your phone - you still have the ability to use the Lexus system and if you do you may want to keep that up to date.

Would they lose money? Many of the new vehicles are coming with map updates for 3+ years now anyway and I'm not sure how many people actually update them for it to be a money maker. They will obviously lose some money but the alternative was to lose vehicle sales as people are demanding this as a must have feature for a new vehicle.

Thanks both to Herbie and Colin for the videos. I like what I'm seeing the deciding factor will be how much the dealership are going to charge me, if it's only about £80 then I'll get it installed.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Would they lose money? Many of the new vehicles are coming with map updates for 3+ years now anyway and I'm not sure how many people actually update them for it to be a money maker. They will obviously lose some money but the alternative was to lose vehicle sales as people are demanding this as a must have feature for a new vehicle.

That is probably correct. Lexus is not making the maps and if not selling a lot of them, buying the maps cost more than they make selling them even though they are horribly expensive, Lexus is not making money that way. I bought the update map in November and instead og getting a 2020-21 (which has been sold on eBay since October at least) I got a 2020.

Lexus here on the island does not need to have service of quality as no competition is closer the 1.2K km on a boat lasting 2 days and boat fare costing more than the Lexus map.

Instead of buying maps it is cheaper using a smartphone. Not funny having a loose phone floating around. Still have an old Garmin to put on windshield with a suction cup with free updates of maps, but having the loose power wire is not fine; Is there anything that can put the maps from the phone on the built in screen, via Blutooth or USB connector?

image.thumb.png.ae642b3bc2516f58828c5bd94c7cf280.png

5 hours ago, Herbie said:

My favourite navigation is Sygic and that's just been released on the Android Auto platform, which means that for me, it's worth it for just that one app alone.

My nav app of choice used to be Sygic (and may yet be again) but after the latest "update", it's not a happy bunny.  A lot of functionality has been (I hope temporarily) mislaid.  I was a beta tester, but none of my comments on the beta releases were ever acted on.

Sorry for hijacking......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superduner said:

My nav app of choice used to be Sygic (and may yet be again) but after the latest "update", it's not a happy bunny.  A lot of functionality has been (I hope temporarily) mislaid.  I was a beta tester, but none of my comments on the beta releases were ever acted on.

Sorry for hijacking......

The weather hasn't been great so I haven't got my Android Auto unit fitted yet but I didn't know about that so thanks for the info.

By pure coincidence, just this very morning, I received an advert from Sygic informing me that 'Android Auto works better with Sygic Premium.'

I currently have a lifetime premium licence for Sygic but if I now pay £33.49 for a 'Premium for Android Auto' licence, that will activate voice navigation, speed limits, detailed instructions and lane assistance on Android Auto.

Would this be the missing functionality you mention, I wonder?

No, it's stuff like the speed warning not kicking in until you are going 10kph over the current limit (instead of 4), and sharp bend warnings hardly ever showing - and if they do, it's when you are half way round the corner in question.  Sometimes there is no compass or direction shown in the top right corner

Even though the map is moving and the position updating, I have a constant message saying "getting position".  That's a new one today.

There was another update today to get the advance routing window to appear in the top left corner.

• Like 1

Go for it Eddy. I use the Google maps got me out of trouble a couple of times when on our annual pilgrimages to Cornwall. Whether its a road closed for an  RTC or roadworks its very good.

10 hours ago, ALAW said:

Go for it Eddy. I use the Google maps got me out of trouble a couple of times when on our annual pilgrimages to Cornwall. Whether its a road closed for an  RTC or roadworks its very good.

Hi Brent....... the dealership have quoted £80 inc VAT so I will have it done, they prefer to install when the car is due a service because of the time it takes. I'm in no hurry so it will be done at the next service due in September.😃

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Ed the Ted said:

Just an update on this topic. Had the UX250h serviced on Monday and Apple CarPlay installed (£80) by Lexus Stoke. All working OK and first impressions are it was well worth the cost 😀

Good glad you like it Eddy. I stream my music via spotify as well on the android auto.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Well, I got a little black box from am, slight fiddle to start with, but now works fine and since then just sits on the bottom of Center console, tresLin , £70, be sure to read reviews of course seems to be some clunkers out there!