Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all,

I thought I would.....I did indeed regret selling my LS430 two years ago, (hello if you're reading new owner!) now I think I may have have to dive back in.  I currently have a VW Sharan, very useful but I don't require its practacality every day.  What I think I'd like this time is the 400, perhaps because I imagine it to be simpler to maintain and I prefer the looks of it now, compared to the 430.   I also have a MX5 (Eunos) that is 28 years old, low mileage and in outstanding condition, I do like 80/90's cars

Ok so what I want to do is fit a towbar, take it that's possible?  This would be for no more than a bike rack and I'd like to fit a roof rack, also possible?

When I last went down to Sennen in my LS, I followed a 430 coming out of the cove with a roof rack so it maybe.  I see there is a 430 on eBay with a towbar, tempting looks nice but yes I'd love a 400.  I know it's not the most practical motor for my requiremenst but I think it would be ace.

Looking forward to any ideas, if any.

Thanks, Nick

Thanks Howard, however I use to have a Saris bones which worked ok on the 430 but unfortuaately you can't load eMTB's on to them, hence the towbar.

The LS400 Mark 4 is not legalised for tow bar fitment, there was a conformity glitch by the EU when the LS400 was launched and it is not tow bar certified in the EU. If you manage to get one fitted your MOT station will fail it and until you are MOT'd your insurance will be void.

I looked into this when I was considering a caravan and various sources pointed me at witter tow bars who then informed me they could not legally fit one ,I then did some research and found out about the above facts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/3/2021 at 4:38 PM, nickd said:

Hello all,

I thought I would.....I did indeed regret selling my LS430 two years ago, (hello if you're reading new owner!) now I think I may have have to dive back in.  I currently have a VW Sharan, very useful but I don't require its practacality every day.  What I think I'd like this time is the 400, perhaps because I imagine it to be simpler to maintain and I prefer the looks of it now, compared to the 430.   I also have a MX5 (Eunos) that is 28 years old, low mileage and in outstanding condition, I do like 80/90's cars

Ok so what I want to do is fit a towbar, take it that's possible?  This would be for no more than a bike rack and I'd like to fit a roof rack, also possible?

When I last went down to Sennen in my LS, I followed a 430 coming out of the cove with a roof rack so it maybe.  I see there is a 430 on eBay with a towbar, tempting looks nice but yes I'd love a 400.  I know it's not the most practical motor for my requiremenst but I think it would be ace.

Looking forward to any ideas, if any.

Thanks, Nick

I had an LS400, then a 430 and now a 600hl. I still think the LS400 was best but, unfortunately, it is no longer possible to keep an LS400 as the parts are no longer available (that is why I had to let mine go at 22 years and +228000 miles) and so my transmission couldn't be fixed.  Everything else was running fine.  My suggestion is to find another LS430. 

On 5/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, ambermarine said:

The LS400 Mark 4 is not legalised for tow bar fitment, there was a conformity glitch by the EU when the LS400 was launched and it is not tow bar certified in the EU. If you manage to get one fitted your MOT station will fail it and until you are MOT'd your insurance will be void.

My Mk4 has tow bar fittings with full electrics, the only thing it does not have is the actual tow ball.  Was fitted before I bought the car, and never failed MOT.

Interestingly there is no extra gear box fittings, so I assume whoever had the tow bar fitted did not haul horse boxes with it.

As I said in my previous post the Lexus LS400 was not type approved under the European type approval 94/20/EC Ist Aug 1998 this was due to a comms hitch By Lexus which means the fitting of a tow bar and hitch to a Lexus LS400 manufactured after that date to its final end of line manufacture is illegal.

The fact your car as a tow bar fitted does not change the law it as probably been transferred from a mark 3 by someone who was not aware of the conformity issue.

In my owners Manual Lexus attempted to get round this glitch by stating the vehicle was not designed for towing but contradicting that by showing all the vehicle laden and unladen kerb weights for towing in the vehicle technical information . 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, interesting.  Ok so maybe I keep the Sharan and look at SC430's.  Change of tack I know, but I will at least have the reliability and a V8!

• Like 2