Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at the lights on my 2005 LS430, I noticed that the fog lamp in the lower bumper is split into two sections, one as a foglamp, the smaller outer part apparently empty.  Any idea what this was supposed to be for?  Perhaps side markers in another market?  I'm considering whether that would make a nice place to install some constant lights as DRL.

Superduner, could you point me in the right direction please? I’m probably not using the correct search terms.

Many thanks,

Jeremy

13 hours ago, Superduner said:

There are loads for sale out there that do just that

The outer section is blocked off on the UK model fog light housings. It's the same in the US market.
The 2000-2003 model ones had the DRL in the outer section in the Japanese market, but I can't find any info for the 2004-2006 models.
It does seem stupid to have that empty outer section though.

31 minutes ago, Superduner said:

You could start here:

led drl fog light | eBay

Sorry, I thought you meant something specific to this car - yes I'm comfortable with the wiring using relay and should be able to make an appropriate cut in the housing - I had raised hopes that perhaps someone markets a plug-in LS430 shaped lamp assembly with bulb mounted 😉

2 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

The outer section is blocked off on the UK model fog light housings. It's the same in the US market.
The 2000-2003 model ones had the DRL in the outer section in the Japanese market, but I can't find any info for the 2004-2006 models.
It does seem stupid to have that empty outer section though.

I did also look at other markets and found nothing... but didn't think to check pre-facelift... well done for spotting it there, I wonder why they didn't do that in the post-facelift model.  How curious!

• 2 weeks later...

I put some amber side markers in my old LS in that spare socket, but I didn't like the look - there's no seperation in the housing so the light leaks across. But each to their own. 

I've chosen to let them be and instead swap the indicator bulbs for "switchback" LEDs that will illuminate white with engine running and headlamps switched off - and then flash amber with the indicators.  Hoping it'll look like it was supposed to be there.  I'll post back with photos when I get it done.

• Like 1