Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

From their blurb..

"This also means that you can change gear earlier, so your Lexus engine will run at lower revs and therefore more efficiently."

Do they realise the 300h has no gears? They never mention anything with respect to the hybrid nature of the system.

Along with many other company they state greater power with reduced fuel consumption. To get more power one must burn more fuel?

just had a look again at their remap for the mini jcw it gives the same power poss more than lohan mini who rolling road it take the ecu out and remap it , as opposed to send a file out ???? as i had my jcw done by them (lohan ) and it is awsome ...

might give it a miss...

17 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

From their blurb..

"This also means that you can change gear earlier, so your Lexus engine will run at lower revs and therefore more efficiently."

Do they realise the 300h has no gears? They never mention anything with respect to the hybrid nature of the system.

Along with many other company they state greater power with reduced fuel consumption. To get more power one must burn more fuel?

As well more air + more fuel = more power. Where exactly they getting more air on naturally aspirated engine without any other modifications? These companies are "snake oil" sellers. The business of selling power enhancing 12v dongles have stalled, so now they pretend to do chip tuning.

Turbo-diesels can be chip-tuned, some turbo-petrol cars could be chip-tuned, but naturally aspirated cars can't be.

@hondansxr As well look to my RC200t thread - RC gearbox can be tuned, because Lexus deliberately added delay in ECU because of stupid amurican "unintended acceleration issue", but this is exception - it removes handicap from gearbox, but does not actually enhance performance.

Further being turbo-petrol it could be tuned in theory, but after some research I figured out chip-tuning is pointless on factory turbo. Turbo maximum pressure is 1.2Bar/17PSI and that is what turbo already does from the factory, meaning there are no headroom for chip-tuning (no more capacity to get extra air). So even on RC200t one would at very least would need to replace turbo for something bigger and ideally variable geometry before doing any tuning.

RC300h on the other hand - cannot be tuned at all... simply because there is nothing to be tuned. As well it is car designed for emissions compliance and fuel economy, so it is inherently not a car for performance and as such Lexus closed all ways to enhance it.

Paul - please keep it in one thread.

22 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Turbo-diesels can be chip-tuned, some turbo-petrol cars could be chip-tuned, but naturally aspirated cars can't be.

Well - - I understand the logic, but some (4) years ago, as a member of the MBenz Club, I had my 2000 S500 ECU remapped to give a better fuel economy.  I'd run the car for a couple of years, and achieved an average annual 30.2 mpg (I'm a steady driver)

The 'engineer' running the laptop explained that as these engines are mass-produced to cope with different petrol standards across the globe, they leave the factory on  'one-size-fits-all' settings on the ECU.

What he claimed he would do would be to optimise the ECU for UK 95RON fuel.

Well - over the following three years, the car returned an average 34.1 mpg, and was certainly even sharper on acceleration. (I cannot comment on upper its speed ranges as the blasted thing would reach 155, and I'm not that stupid on the roads!)

So I regarded that as a success.

• Like 1

Without having any meaningful proof, this may as well be placebo. For example, meaningful proof would be before and after dyno chart showing power increase (that could be fudged as well, but that is at least something).

First of all the claim here  is specifically about increasing the power, and that is very unlikely (closer to impossible). Fuel consumption claim may be possible, but then engine most likely going to loose power not gain it. 

Secondly, MB S500 from 2000 is not exactly comparable to Lexus RC hybrid. What could be the case is that MB used similar engines in say S500 and SL500 and S500 had detuned version of the same engine (engine was handicapped), in such case yes there could be exception where NA engine could gain some power due to better optimisation (this is more likely to happen on German cars where they "tier" same engine in different models), but generally that is not the case. 

As well, just to note - most Lexus cars since... like early 2004 have "smart ECU" (like GS mk3) which means the ECU would automatically detect fuel time and adjust timing and fuel maps accordingly. So the question of "adjusting car for RON95 UK" becomes irrelevant on cars with such ECU...

Yet it actually complicates tuning... so if ECU is already programmed to self-adjust, then it means it is inherently not capable of running predefined maps... and that would be exactly what is required to if we assume there are more economy/performance to be unlocked by tuning. Besides most of Lexus ECUs are locked and cannot be tuned. As result this means anyone who want's to tune Lexus car would require aftermarket ECU, which would be additional cost (£500-3000).

Now if one has high power TD or TP car, investing in aftermarket ECU and tuning totally makes sense, but on NA car £1000+ would only get you marginal improvement at best.. if any at all.