Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello guys, I have had my IS300h for a little while now, about 4 months. I am so careful with parking it anywhere and am just curious as to if anyone could give me any insight on whether the IS300h cats are being stolen? If they are how much to replace one? Do they have any protection mechanism on them? Are these cars being targetted? Can i park in public places without fearing? Does anyone know where the cat is located in the IS models and if they are safe. Any responses would be much appreciated. 

Thanks.

The catalytic converter on the IS is mounted diagonally between the engine and the bulkhead, therefore it isn't accessible by simply jacking the car up and lying underneath for a minute or two.

"May the return valves of a thousand jacks fail and smite the scrotes. "

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

The catalytic converter on the IS is mounted diagonally between the engine and the bulkhead, therefore it isn't accessible by simply jacking the car up and lying underneath for a minute or two.

Yes the primary cat is on the exhaust header/downpipe in the engine bay, the same as it is for the Prius, CT200h, RX400h, RX450h etc. but it is the secondary cat that gets stolen which is under the vehicle on ALL Lexus hybrid vehicles.

The IS300h just isn't targeted as the cat isn't as valuable as older vehicles.

2018146594_Screenshot2021-05-08at10_53_48.thumb.png.de7265672544a54d524811e6bc3addfa.png

• Like 1

The secondary cat also sits slightly raised, very much near the centre of the vehicle meaning you’d need to jack it up quite high to get a reciprocating saw all the way through the pipe. In addition it is only 360mm in circumference, which is pretty small (I.e. less precious metals inside) compared to most catalytic convertors. Also, if you want to be a bit “extra”, you can use existing mounting points on the rad bulkhead and bumper reinforcement to add stainless steel mesh in front of the horns to frustrate, deter or at least slow down the cutting of the horn cables (which they do to silence the tilt alarm).

DDD60FCC-7455-4CFE-A8AB-8FFC0F80510F.jpeg

CE32DC55-8739-4F2C-A926-1D72777458BC.jpeg

1 hour ago, C Mclean said:

Pity there isn’t a way to connect up to the traction battery when parked up.

Made me laugh out loud this one! 🤣👍

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Don't get this..... what does it mean? I know it is a joke but I didnt get it sorry 😛

Traction Battery powers the hybrid system which is about 288 volts.

Connect to this, they touch the CC, shock ending.

Not allowed of course!!! 😒

3 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Traction battery powers the hybrid system which is about 288 volts.

Connect to this, they touch the CC, shock ending.

Not allowed of course!!! 😒

aaaaaaah right, thank you...... I'm so silly sometimes! 🙂

• 4 months later...

What I was told at the dealership when I asked about this was that only (or mainly) the RX and the CT are being targeted because in other models like the IS the cat is hard to access and therefore not at risk. I felt such a relief I felt like driving all the way just to give him a hug.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Toddyfunk said:

There’s a sensor in between the rear cat and the centre silencer/resonator. Does anyone know where it gets plugged in?

Had my rear cat stolen on my is200 and they ripped out the sensor with it

Do you mean a series I IS200 1999/2004? This is the wrong forum for that vehicle but take a look here - it is under the seat and I think you have to pull out the carpet unless you cut it. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links