Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spam phone calls

For the second time this year I've received a spoof phone call this time from the national crime office. It's a mobile number  not a landline. Today it was about suspension of my NI number. 

These calls start with a stern male voice recorded message. It stated my NI number was about to be suspended because of illegal use etc etc. Press 1 to speak with an officer. Now this I'll do because I know it's a spam . I ended up speaking with an English guy  who said he's from national crime office. I answered ' whats this about national insurance number?'  He duly hung up.

After a call with the tax office they said they're aware of a scam to do with NI number.  

So just be wary of unknown mobile numbers phoning you. Please tell all your older family members who could possibly fall for a scam.

My previous call was from so called tax office on a mobile number. Stern well spoken voice message stating I owed tax. I pressed 1 only to speak to an Asian woman who's English was poor. I stated categorically I did not owe tax. I did owe tax which was now paid off. She hung up. My 2 examples of spoof calls.

Be aware.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

For the second time this year I've received a spoof phone call this time from the national crime office. It's a mobile number  not a landline. Today it was about suspension of my NI number. 

These calls start with a stern male voice recorded message. It stated my NI number was about to be suspended because of illegal use etc etc. Press 1 to speak with an officer. Now this I'll do because I know it's a spam . I ended up speaking with an English guy  who said he's from national crime office. I answered ' whats this about national insurance number?'  He duly hung up.

After a call with the tax office they said they're aware of a scam to do with NI number.  

So just be wary of unknown mobile numbers phoning you. Please tell all your older family members who could possibly fall for a scam.

My previous call was from so called tax office on a mobile number. Stern well spoken voice message stating I owed tax. I pressed 1 only to speak to an Asian woman who's English was poor. I stated categorically I did not owe tax. I did owe tax which was now paid off. She hung up. My 2 examples of spoof calls.

Be aware.

Vladimir loads of scam calls and texts going about, some clever ones like claiming to be from DPD. Firstly, check with your phone provider for any large amounts your monthly bill. Some of these calls if you answer them allow them to charge your account. And now as they have down as a "live" number the calls won't stop until you change your number. 

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

For the second time this year I've received a spoof phone call this time from the national crime office.

I'm getting a couple of these a week. Tiresome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:
1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Vladimir loads of scam calls and texts going about, some clever ones like claiming to be from DPD. Firstly, check with your phone provider for any large amounts your monthly bill. Some of these calls if you answer them allow them to charge your account. And now as they have down as a "live" number the calls won't stop until you change your number. 

Absolutely right.  These automated phishing calls are best totally ignored.  As Phil says, you’re merely confirming that it’s a live number and you will be charged exorbitantly for replying.

Mind you, hours of innocent fun can be had with live callers.  Although, I think job losses through COVID has attracted a lot of unskilled practitioners.  Twice in the last ten days I’ve had calls from girls claiming to be from BT.  So when I ask them what BT stands for, there’s a long pause - and they hang up!

Now if you can’t even answer a basic question about the company you’re claiming to work for, then I think a career change is indicated.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

just got one from a co in Romford,.......... SKY ASSURED Ltd ............ a Mr.Gendeep Singh business ............ about SKY kit repairs and protection and this is the last day to hand over my card details to pay and save ........ he explained that I would get a text from my bank card provider with an authorised code and I would confirm the payment ( thereby then unable to do a chargeback coz I would be implicit in the " fraud "  .... this strategy info  from my guy in Delhi who is doing a little espionage on a similar business to mine that's ripping people off this way ! )

He was talking to me for maybe 20 mins and I was happy to chat today, didn't have much else to do as I was waiting to go collect my just bought drum kit from a local Red Cross charity shop :yahoo:

Anyway ...........  I then told the guy that I don't have any SKY stuff at my home and he was trying to scam me ......... I had tried to get their bank details to report them etc .......  an angry cold caller, he said from SKY ASSURED Ltd then just hung up on me ......  oh dear ! what opportunity have I lost I wonder 😊

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, LenT said:

Absolutely right.  These automated phishing calls are best totally ignored.  As Phil says, you’re merely confirming that it’s a live number and you will be charged exorbitantly for replying.

Mind you, hours of innocent fun can be had with live callers.  Although, I think job losses through COVID has attracted a lot of unskilled practitioners.  Twice in the last ten days I’ve had calls from girls claiming to be from BT.  So when I ask them what BT stands for, there’s a long pause - and they hang up!

Now if you can’t even answer a basic question about the company you’re claiming to work for, then I think a career change is indicated.

When you get a moment look up Tom Mabe on YouTube and the murder scene - funniest thing ever 🤯

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tom Mabe crime scene just watched it and finding it hard to type its creased me up big time 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Good post Colin with that number. 👍

Yes lots of divz trying it on to con us etc. Next time I get a similar call think I'll do a Tom Mabe kind of thing lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2021 at 3:14 PM, LenT said:

Yes len some fun can be had on a live call there are loads to look at on youtube

Only two Vlad think yourself lucky. The scams are not only coming via a call but txt as well. HSBC & DPD are doing the rounds at the moment. In fact i am waiting to be arrested because of tax evasion from a scam call i recieved about 10 months ago seriously though as you previously have been warned don't reply you could be charged.

5 minutes ago, ALAW said:

Yes len some fun can be had on a live call there are loads to look at on youtube

Indeed, Brent,  In my own modest way I do try waste the time of scam callers.  Of course they are very different to telemarketers, who have to make do with a simple No.

This is not really a Lexus-related subject, as far as I can tell.  But maybe I’ll look up the websites I used to follow that were specifically dedicated to scamming the scammers, and pass them on.  It was astonishing the humiliation these people would accept if they thought they were dealing with a rich, gullible victim.

7 hours ago, LenT said:

I do try waste the time of scam callers

me 2 if I have the spare time ...........  when I've finished with them they sometimes have the audacity to tell me that I've been wasting their valuable time !:yahoo:

Malc

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

me 2 if I have the spare time ...........  when I've finished with them they sometimes have the audacity to tell me that I've been wasting their valuable time !:yahoo:

Malc

So...a result then!

As I mentioned, I've dug out some of the websites devoted to scamming scammers and offer them here for your further amusement.

https://www.419eater.com/

https://www.whatsthebloodypoint.com/

http://www.scamorama.com/

Unlike the very funny Tom Mabe, these generally are IT pros who deliberately bait scammers to see how long they can keep them hooked.  And we are often talking days, weeks and even months here.

But be warned: It's possible to waste hours of your life working your way through them!

Don't forget the scam emails too,i have had some allegedly from dvla,tv licence,and eBay in addition to alleged text messages from dpd,royal mail,hsbc etc 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LenT said:

So...a result then!

As I mentioned, I've dug out some of the websites devoted to scamming scammers and offer them here for your further amusement.

https://www.419eater.com/

https://www.whatsthebloodypoint.com/

http://www.scamorama.com/

Unlike the very funny Tom Mabe, these generally are IT pros who deliberately bait scammers to see how long they can keep them hooked.  And we are often talking days, weeks and even months here.

But be warned: It's possible to waste hours of your life working your way through them!

Thanks for posting Len will have a gander

I remember one call and when they finally realised id been excreting urine for an hour you wouldn't believe the language they called me

• Like 1

I get regular calls from Jim/John/Jeffrey from Microsoft company. Jim does not sound like a Jim, hardly speaks English and in the background you hear at least a dozen of other Jims informing people they have a problem with their computer. From Jims accent it seems most of these calls originate from India.

Remember the Nigerian scammers telling people their brother who was minister and sitting on millions and please give me money so i can deblock the account stories? Always successfull, people do fall for this.

SMS or mail scams are more dangerous as they want you to click on their bait. Once you do their systems could infect your computer with malware. Be warned!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

I get regular calls from Jim/John/Jeffrey from Microsoft company. 

Last time I got a call from 'Microsoft' I 'misheard' him and from there on called him Mike Soft.

3 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Remember the Nigerian scammers telling people their brother who was minister and sitting on millions and please give me money so i can deblock the account stories? Always successfull, people do fall for this.

One of the memorable actions in, I think, the 419 site I listed developed that theme.  From memory (!) the guy who intercepted the approach purported to be a fellow minister on an isolated Scottish island whose small, but wealthy, congregation wish to aid those less fortunate.  However, they were of an obscure Christian sect and could only dispense said aid to those who were willing to embrace their specific traditions, which were detailed over a period of some weeks.

These traditions included the Ministers wearing a white, cone shaped hat with a large letter D painted on it, while holding (I believe) a bottle of communion wine.  Amazingly, this actually resulted in our hero receiving photographs complying with those instructions.  But that was just the start....

Well, it makes a change from polishing the Lexus.

• Like 1