Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

US Lexus LS460 reprogramming

Hello, I have recently purchased a Lexus LS460L/2015 in the US version. For the reprogramming of the navigation and radio system of a Lexus LS460, 2015 from the USA I am looking for help to use the navigation system in Germany/Europe. Is a different programming possible?  Can the Fahrenheit/Celsius and PSI/bar displays be changed? Can the speedometer display be changed? Has anyone here had any experience with a Lexus from the USA. Who could help me so that I can use the car with navigation system, radio, Celsius and bar in Germany? Many thanks for support. Greetings and have a good trip

13 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I don't believe US radios can be used in Europe due to frequency differences.

I have a US import car (Miata=MX5) and radio frequencies are the same.  You may be thinking of Jap imports.

Maybe Carista or Techstream can be used to change the measurements units without going to a dealer.

Yep, the FM radio bandwidth is the same so 88-108 Mhz so that should work.

The Navigation should be DVD based so changing the USA disc to the Western European version should give you local navigation.

Pretty sure there is no way of changing the temperature from F to C as the USA guys had the same problem with Japanese imports going the other way.

Not seen, but there again never looked for a miles to km speed converter but the best option would to get a secondhand cluster for the LHD European market.

Fortunately your steering wheel can stay where it is 😀

To use the built in SatNav in Europe, you will need to take it to a Lexus dealer and pay to have the EU maps uploaded to the hard-disk.
However, the 2015 model may have the MicroSD card in a slot at the bottom of the audio control panel instead of the hard-disk . If that is the case, then plenty of cheap copies of the Nav data on SD card can be had from eBay.

The US radio should work fine here, but if it tunes in 0.2Mhz steps ((88.1, 88.3, 88.5 etc.) then there will be some EU radio stations (mostly in Italy) that you won't be able to tune in to. If it supports 0.1 Mhz steps, then it should be fine everywhere as the range (88.0 to 108.0Mhz) is nearly the same as in Europe (87.5-108.0Mhz).

After seeing Steve's post above, I went and double checked and it seems that F>C and PSI>Bar is not possible. It will require a change of the display module or possibly some reprogramming of the ECU.

Thank you very much for your sympathy.
The radio works in 0.2 MHZ steps and I could be satisfied with it. It just works with this limitation. I can live with that.
Unfortunately, feeding the navigation device with an SD card for Europe is not enough. I have made several enquiries to Lexus and to experts in navigation systems. If anyone has other experiences, please let me know. It would be nice if it were that simple. As far as I understand it, the navigation device must be able to receive other satellites. I have heard of other devices being reprogrammed. Possibly possible in Russia or the Ukraine. That doesn't make it easy, because even contact with Cyrillic languages requires a certain knowledge of the language, which I unfortunately don't have.
A used instrument cluster would be useful for the speed display but difficult to find as the car is not old. The speed dial in miles can be bought in a British shop for 65 pounds. However, not the Km/h display. 
That the conversion from Fahrenheit/Celsius should not be feasible is tough. Any small thermometer can do it for little money. Mechanics have told me that Toyota has tricks for changing the temperature display. For example, you have to hold down the temperature selector switch until you hear a beep, then you can change it. I've tried a lot of things in the car, but the display stays at Fahrenheit, as does the pressure display for the tyres at PSI, which isn't all that bad.
If anyone has ever solved similar problems, I would be very grateful to hear more.
Have a good trip.