Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Update on my IS300h

Time for a quick update now I've had chance to get to know the Lexus.

Overall very pleased still love the styling, comfort and relaxed driving. Averaging a shade over 49mpg since purchase, my figures, and this can only increase going into the warmer weather and no more lockdown short journeys I hope.

Compared to the Auris hybrid  it replaced the IS300h is streets ahead, have learned to stay in Eco mode until Sport is needed and now look foward to hills. These are the only modes I use as in Normal you need the touch of a surgeon to prevent the engine engaging. Eco is very similar to Normal in the Auris.

Plus points for me;

Styling, have had many positive comments since buying

Economy and relaxed cruising in slow moving traffic, I considered a Mustang before buying but realised they are totally unsuitable for our congested and speed limiting roads.

So comfortable

Sport mode always puts a smile on my face.

Change lane indicators, great idea which took minutes to learn and work.

Keyless entry and starting

The boot just takes my golf bag width ways without having to remove clubs

£10 road tax hehe.

Minus points

Paddle shifters what's the point?

Boot is a good size but the opening is very limiting.

The ride could be better, not great on our ever deteriorating roads. I will have to test a 2017 upgrade.

Infotainment just about works but could be and should be improved.

Lexus dropping the model for UK, if I want to stay loyal my only option is a Corolla 2.0 estate with nothing on the horizon. 

Finally a couple of minor issues, the fan is noisy giving a rattling sound at times with a one-off WWII siren on start up which increased in volume and pitch as I increased the blower speed. Went away within half a mile and never heard it since. The large central console creaks when cornering with a bit of speed, this has been constant since buying.

Car is under warranty but for me these minor gripes weren't enough to have Lexus investigate during lockdown.

So pleased I choose the IS300h and all ready to tour Scotland shortly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Joe43 said:

Paddle shifters what's the point?

Why is this a minus? If you don't find a use for them then you just don't use them - you haven't paid extra for them or they don't get in your way.

They are there to give people a more familiar 'geared' driving experience if they are coming from a conventional, non-hybrid, vehicle. It also allows for a faster, safer way to overtake by having the engine already spooled up beforehand, and you can use it to achieve 'engine' braking when descending inclines as the alternative to B mode found on the Prius/CT/Auris hybrid system.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Why is this a minus? If you don't find a use for them then you just don't use them - you haven't paid extra for them or they don't get in your way.

I’m inclined to agree.  When I first got my Lexus I thought paddle shifts would be an interesting way to go.  But frankly the novelty for me soon palled.  Maybe it’s an age thing, but being a new auto owner I quickly decided that it was such an efficient box that having someone change gears for me was what I deserved.  I can always switch to Sport if I seek a little more excitement.

The one thing I do miss is the braking effect of the engine.  However I was always careful how I used it.  When I first started driving I was taking an Uncle around, who actually ran a small garage.  “What are you doing that for?” he said as I changed down to get engine breaking.

After I’d carefully explained the mechanics of the process to him, he gave me a rather pitying look.  “Have you considered.” he replied, “That it’s much cheaper to replace brake pads than clutch plates?”

Lesson learnt!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LenT said:

I’m inclined to agree.  When I first got my Lexus I thought paddle shifts would be an interesting way to go.  But frankly the novelty for me soon palled.  Maybe it’s an age thing, but being a new auto owner I quickly decided that it was such an efficient box that having someone change gears for me was what I deserved.  I can always switch to Sport if I seek a little more excitement.

I'm totally with you that it is mainly a gimmick, and most owners hardly ever use them. But that is different from calling it out as a negative point on the vehicle, as if they are badly designed and the vehicle would be better off without them.

18 minutes ago, LenT said:

The one thing I do miss is the braking effect of the engine.  However I was always careful how I used it.  When I first started driving I was taking an Uncle around, who actually ran a small garage.  “What are you doing that for?” he said as I changed down to get engine breaking.

After I’d carefully explained the mechanics of the process to him, he gave me a rather pitying look.  “Have you considered.” he replied, “That it’s much cheaper to replace brake pads than clutch plates?”

The real use of engine braking is to stop your brakes from overheating and fading - typically used for descending steep inclines and/or when towing. Just using it to help braking in normal driving isn't really useful and I don't believe is taught anymore.

• Like 1

The paddle shifts (or using the gear shift up down) have two separate functions - the manual explains this but not very clearly and needs reading a few times to understand it. In D they are used to select a lower "gearing" than the ecvt would otherwise be in and so are ideal for long descents where you want some engine braking to hold speed and avoid being on the brakes all the time - the way they work in D is not designed for full time pseudo 1 - 6 gears but for this sort of engine braking. In S mode though, in addition to how they might be used in D mode, they offer the full 6 pseudo gears to be used like any traditional sequential auto box and so provide a reasonable range of low to high revs in each "gear" before the ecu overrides and changes up or down to prevent damage. How useful they are in S is up to each person. I've had a play and occasionally have used when overtaking to preselect a "gear" but for most of the time putting the car in Sport mode and leaving it in D gives enough without messing around further. 

Each to their own I just don't see the need for the paddle shifters and it maybe my clumsy big hands but I have caught them when steering.

You have paid for them though Colin just like everything else on the car and if they ever fail it won't be a cheap fix. 

On 5/5/2021 at 7:18 PM, LenT said:

...changed down to get engine breaking.

Doh!  Yes, as earlier in the same post, I typed ‘braking’ but the semi-literate lurking in the system changed it.

Nothing to do with me, right!

On 5/5/2021 at 7:36 PM, ColinBarber said:

Just using it to help braking in normal driving isn't really useful and I don't believe is taught anymore.

As I recall it from when I was taught to drive, the reasoning was also that by putting the car into a lower gear, while braking and slowing, you were creating a situation in which more engine power would be instantly available as opposed to remaining in a higher gear.  Thus you would be better placed to react to a changing circumstance.

Of course, engines had less power then anyway!

9 hours ago, LenT said:

As I recall it from when I was taught to drive, the reasoning was also that by putting the car into a lower gear, while braking and slowing, you were creating a situation in which more engine power would be instantly available as opposed to remaining in a higher gear.  Thus you would be better placed to react to a changing circumstance.

Of course, engines had less power then anyway!

Agreed and you should be in the most appropriate gear for the junction/corner/roundabout before you enter it, but there is no need to go 4 > 3 > 2 if you have clear slight of the approaching junction, with no immediate hazards present, 4 > 2 is fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Agreed and you should be in the most appropriate gear for the junction/corner/roundabout before you enter it, but there is no need to go 4 > 3 > 2 if you have clear slight of the approaching junction, with no immediate hazards present, 4 > 2 is fine.

Or you could go 7-6-5-4-3-2 extremely quickly: 

Apologies for thread hijack. It is a great video though in my defence. If only they sounded like that now, perhaps I'd still watch F1...

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links