Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h Rear seat entertainment problems

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, I have a 2007 400h with the rear headrest screens and the dvd player under the drivers seat.

The original player decided to stop reading any discs and often refused to eject them, I ordered an apparent "fully working and tested" used replacement....turns out that doesnt spin the discs and just ejects them.

So with a refund requested for that, has anyone got any suggestions on a suitable replacement? It seems dvd is old technology and i cant seem to find anything to replace it with!

2 hours ago, flookyk said:

How about going back to the rear seat entertainment from my days as a kid .. I Spy and Count the bridges. 😅

Kids are just not interested in looking at the scenery. If no entertainment then they are on their phone! 

As a kid, I loved watching out of the window on a journey. Times and habits do change.

15 hours ago, AceKid said:

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, I have a 2007 400h with the rear headrest screens and the dvd player under the drivers seat.

The original player decided to stop reading any discs and often refused to eject them, I ordered an apparent "fully working and tested" used replacement....turns out that doesnt spin the discs and just ejects them.

So with a refund requested for that, has anyone got any suggestions on a suitable replacement? It seems dvd is old technology and i cant seem to find anything to replace it with!

There must be plenty of used DVD players in car breakers that will plug in straight away as replacement.  I would expect such a purchase to be guaranteed working at time of purchase, even if it may not be covered by a long-term warranty.  

I have the same system in my RX400H and have researched methods to plug a mobile phone into the aux input of the headrest screens.  It looks like this might be possible, but I have not taken the plunge and tried it myself.  Trouble is that many mobile phones already have a screen that is better than the Lexus ones.... 😞

1 hour ago, welland said:

There must be plenty of used DVD players in car breakers that will plug in straight away as replacement.  I would expect such a purchase to be guaranteed working at time of purchase, even if it may not be covered by a long-term warranty.  

I have the same system in my RX400H and have researched methods to plug a mobile phone into the aux input of the headrest screens.  It looks like this might be possible, but I have not taken the plunge and tried it myself.  Trouble is that many mobile phones already have a screen that is better than the Lexus ones.... 😞

Shows how quickly technology moves on from 15 years ago.. and even more for myself.

I took O Level Computer Studies (in 1977 to 1979) which included programming using Basic.

The school did not have a computer at all and in those two years we only got to see a physical computer 4 times when visiting the local University and College.

1 minute ago, flookyk said:

Shows how quickly technology moves on from 15 years ago.. and even more for myself.

I took O Level Computer Studies (in 1977 to 1979) which included programming using Basic.

The school did not have a computer at all and in those two years we only got to see a physical computer 4 times when visiting the local University and College.

I had a very similar experience at school but with punch cards you sent off. They came back the following week, telling you there was an error!

• Haha 1

I am actually looking at a way of rigging up a wifi to av unit, so I can set my phone (with unlimited data) to stream a film to the screens.

Having the screens already in the car means for me, they have to be working.....however 'old school' and 'retro' the kids think they are!

18 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I had a very similar experience at school but with punch cards you sent off. They came back the following week, telling you there was an error!

Thats how it worked for us for the programming but I am sure it was two weeks we had to wait.

Remember the first Internet and modems, the noises that came out of them was fascinating when it was dialling up and transferring data.

AceKid - what connections are on your phone as output and on the screens as input?

Could you make a lead to connect an AV (aux) lead out on your phone to a input on the screens? 

12 hours ago, AceKid said:

I am actually looking at a way of rigging up a wifi to av unit, so I can set my phone (with unlimited data) to stream a film to the screens.

Having the screens already in the car means for me, they have to be working.....however 'old school' and 'retro' the kids think they are!

The system has an AV input - the leads are tucked into the driver's seat rear pocket - standard three RCA connectors for PAL composite input + stereo. The fact that the DVD drive itself isn't reading discs shouldn't be an issue, just change the input and the screens will display the external source.

You just need to find a device that will take your phone output and convert to standard definition video - which may be more difficult than it sounds these days 😉 

• Like 1