Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Solar-powered trickle charger for 12v battery 2014 RX450h

I am bombarded with sales e-mails from Lexus, (ok, they have to make a living!)

The latest one recommended the use of a trickle charger, either mains or solar powered.

When you clicked on their link to the two products illustrated, all that did was transfer to e-bay?
So I bought a solar powered version but then remembered that the 12v outlet in the boot only works, (eg. for a tyre pump,) when the car “power” switch is on. So obviously the circuit to the Battery from a charger would not be open if the “power” switch is off.
However, I would wish to use the 12v socket in the centre armrest compartment so that the solar charger could be in the windscreen.

Does anyone know if this socket has an open circuit to the 12v Battery when the power switch is off?

I have e-mailed the local Lexus dealership service desk and phoned them, but they seem unable to answer my question.

They say that they use trickle chargers connected to a device socket in the driver footwell, but the illustration  of their advertised product does not seem to have this!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Paul

You need to connect your solar powered panel to the OBD2 plug receiver. This is where you plug in to scan or I assume Lexus charge with smart trickle charger as it is in footwall they mention by the lower area of the steering column.  You can also attach the smart charger to the Battery direct although Lexus suggest you attach the negative to another earth point instead of the Battery direct.

Unfortunately, the convenient sockets are not live unless car is switched on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry14UK said:

You need to connect your solar powered panel to the OBD2 plug receiver. This is where you plug in to scan or I assume Lexus charge with smart trickle charger as it is in footwall they mention by the lower area of the steering column.  You can also attach the smart charger to the battery direct although Lexus suggest you attach the negative to another earth point instead of the battery direct.

Unfortunately, the convenient sockets are not live unless car is switched on.

Missed this! Apparently it is not!

Thankyou Barry,

this is what common sense had dictated to me, (but the local Lexus service people told me to plug it in to the front socket!)

The people at Lexus who bombard customers with sales e-mails appear to have no technical knowledge, because they show illustrations of recommended trickle chargers which only have either Battery terminal clips or cigar lighter type plug, as opposed to the diagnostic type plug you mention.

If you click on their link to the supposed product all you can get are four e-bay pages full of Lexus key rings!

So, as suspected, I wasted time and money on this solar trickle charger and could not use it on any of my other cars as they both have Battery isolators which I use when parked, (which have their own chargers, which I never need to use anyway.)

regards

• Sad 1

Thankyou Paul.

On your recommendation I have now purchased the AA one which does include the required multi pin plug.

The sales e-Mail from Lexus just showed a solar charger with the Battery clamps and cigar lighter plug only, (of the cheap type sold under various names on amazon / e-bay, etc.) They probably just used a stock generic image and there seemed to be no route from their e-Mail to an actual product offered by Lexus, (just redirecting to e-bay!)

Where is the actual location of the diagnostic socket on a 2014 r.h.d. RX450h?

Thanks and regards,

Paul

31 minutes ago, PB.RX123 said:

Where is the actual location of the diagnostic socket on a 2014 r.h.d. RX450h?

Near the bonnet release catch at the bottom of the trim on the driver's side.