Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good Evening Everyone

According to our beloved manuals, and even Toyota own press release for both 09 and 12 RX450h, our cars are equipped with Hill Start Assist. Now, I had 3GS450h before and it would never roll back on a hill (neither did LS430 and GS300, but these are standard auto boxes), however I'm really trying to figure out how the hill start assist works on 3RX. According to manual, you have to depress break pedal further, after you've depressed it once, and it should show like a Hill Start Assist icon on the dash and make buzzing noise. If this is not the case you should release and then depress the break again, which again does nothing. Apparently it should hold the car for 2 secs, but nothing happens. As soon as I release the break pedal, the car rolls down the hill. Any suggestions? 

Just brake as normal and when you've come to a stop, press the pedal down further. There will be a single bleep and either the traction control or VSC light in the instrument binnacle will illuminate to show that Hill Start Assist is working.

However you must still keep your foot on the brake pedal if I remember correctly, otherwise it releases in two seconds. It's not 'Hill Hold' just an assist so that you don't roll in the time between taking your foot off the brake and getting it on the accelerator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Herbie has described above. Come to a stop normally then press the brake pedal down harder to enable the system. You then have 2 seconds between releasing the brake and pressing the throttle before the vehicle (may) roll backwards.

It seems the newer hybrid vehicles have less forward force than older ones and therefore have a tendency to roll back more. They all will though, even auto boxes, if the slope is too steep.

Newer vehicles such as the series IV RX, IS300h etc. have an automatic hill start system. The vehicle detects if it is on a sufficient incline to need hill start and engages it automatically. Unfortunately on the series III 450h you have to manually press down on the brake pedal to enable the system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many years ago now I changed to left foot braking and right foot acceleration.  This was with a hand operated service brake.  I have had to adapt this slightly with the foot operated service brake on my car when there is a need to hold the main brake with my right foot and apply the service brake with my left but this only pretty well applies when parking - works well for me with no roll back.  Hill assist not needed! 

Have to remember not to do the above on rare occasions I drive a car with manual gearbox but this has not been a problem.

• Like 1

God that procedure sounds more complicated that hill starts when I was a learner!

I just want to add a note/warning, when I was first learning to left foot brake it often ended up over/under applying the brake, it can be super unnerving but push through and it becomes a really rewarding skill especially for spirited driving. Also comes in handy when the RHD version of a car was clearly an afterthought and the pedals are all skwiffy.

Goodluck!

On 5/7/2021 at 7:49 PM, Herbie said:

Just brake as normal and when you've come to a stop, press the pedal down further. There will be a single bleep and either the traction control or VSC light in the instrument binnacle will illuminate to show that Hill Start Assist is working.

However you must still keep your foot on the brake pedal if I remember correctly, otherwise it releases in two seconds. It's not 'Hill Hold' just an assist so that you don't roll in the time between taking your foot off the brake and getting it on the accelerator.

Thanks. Got it to work. Didn't know it requires so much force to activate, but then you can release the brake slightly. It's just the initial push that's required. All good. 

• Like 3