Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Horn not working intermittently!!! Help! Possible Clock spring issue perhaps?!?!

Mo786

Need some urgent help guys!!! The horn in my CT200H has stopped working intermittently. It only works when I press the horn whilst the steering wheel is slightly turned in either the 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock position but doesn't seem to work if my steering wheel is dead straight. No warning lights on the dashboard. Only noticed this today and it worked fine straight after I retrofitted my cruise control switch on my steering wheel a month ago.

9 hours ago, Mo786 said:

Need some urgent help guys!!! The horn in my CT200H has stopped working intermittently. It only works when I press the horn whilst the steering wheel is slightly turned in either the 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock position but doesn't seem to work if my steering wheel is dead straight. No warning lights on the dashboard. Only noticed this today and it worked fine straight after I retrofitted my cruise control switch on my steering wheel a month ago.

I would doubt the clock spring is the culprit.  What you describe is identical to the horn problem I had with a previous LS.  It would only work with the steering turned left or right with the engine off so the steering was tight.  I even replaced the clock spring!   It turned out to be an earth problem.  I took the plastic covers off the steering column and added a wire from one side to the other and it worked.  Hard to explain like this, and somewhere in the bowels there's a post I made years ago.  Just play around holding a wire to a column bracket and grounding to the body/bolt head where there's no paint.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm happy to report that the horn issue has now been resolved and it turns out it was a dodgy clockspring all along, had a aftermarket clockspring installed and the horn and other functions work like a dream.

Thank you all for invaluable input into this matter, if anyone needs any help or advice drop me a message.