Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey everyone,

I thought I’d start a thread about the car I recently bought.

I have always loved the original LS especially the 1990-1997 shape. The mark 4 although nice just doesn’t do it for me. For example the whole sat nav console looks very dated whereas one without still looks good.

Anyway I have been looking for one for a while and a great one turned up with 49k miles. No mot failures or advisories in all of its life. 
Described as in excellent condition, it was. But I have had concourse cars and my ocd levels are a bit too high! I want to get it spot on.

There are a few cosmetic things to replace such as antenna mast, some mouldings etc but nothing major. 

The wheels are currently being refurbished and diamond cut. I’m in the process of getting the correct paint code from the manufacturer. 
Its condition could be described as perfect.

Its an amazing car. I have a few cars but I love this the most. I have had Jaguars, mercs etc but this is on another level in terms of build and refinement.

Here are some pictures of it:

D2D457C6-DFF1-487F-960C-BA5A73C91161.jpeg

0F9F70C5-98D1-44A7-900C-C527735A928F.jpeg

62030B7F-D26D-4EC3-B783-AB958EE531BA.jpeg

AB7EEF06-01A4-4B6A-9282-62A895452D51.jpeg

49DAEB58-E26C-4170-B1E9-FBA76463D4C5.jpeg

496EC907-9ED1-42DB-A71C-CF686F1386BC.jpeg

0DC490DF-DBB5-41FF-8C33-EF229B18BDA8.jpeg

46E0F7A7-2453-4874-9086-7C6DC360492D.jpeg

8525855B-2AEF-4FF8-B02D-FD6321EBD821.jpeg

• Like 4

Congratulations Zak, you really have found a super example. The mileage is amazing......it has done less than 2,000 miles a year. It is, almost, identical to the '94 model that I owned for 15 years - same colour and interior. Only difference was that I had gold lettering and numbers.

• Like 1

problem is you'll probably never get to use the rear seat nor the tool kit ....... for obvious reasons 

................ she looks good, same interior as mine  .............but silver I guess ?

and of course some 185k miles less :wink3:

Use her lots and lots, it's one of the very best cars ever for long long wonderful drives around the world when one can

Malc

'Use her lots and lots, it's one of the very best cars ever for long long wonderful drives around the world when one can'

Totally agree, I have used mine as daily drives/long distance and enjoyed them tremendously.

• Like 1

Great looking car. Congratulations :thumbsup:

If you start using it regularly keep an eye on the PAS pump and alternator. They were just about the only bits I had to replace when I got my 62k LS 400 late last year. 

• Like 1

watch for corrosion of the long front pas pipe running at the rear of the radiator ....  that caused grief on mine ....  relatively simple and inexpensive fix if you're lucky

oh, and the headlamps are glass too on the Mk3 ..........  not that dreadful plastic stuff that started with the Mk4

Enjoy your amazing car

Malc

Looks like a great car, I loved my Mk3, and I sort of agree about the satnav in Mk4, never use it and prefer the LCD on the previous marques.

The Mk3 has much better fog lights, not quite such good headlights, and of course the Mk4 has VSC, and it was lack of VSC that made me stove my Mk3 into a wall. Hit some oil at 20mph about to overtake a truck, and the Mk3 was trying to spin itself under an artic, so wall seemed a bit safer to me!!!  If that had not happened maybe I would still have my Mk3, though it would not be hitting 300,000 and no doubt needing another round of work to the Controls Arms etc.

15 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Mk3, though it would not be hitting 300,000 and no doubt needing another round of work to the Controls Arms etc.

what other car on this planet could you tongue in cheek say this and just KNOW it's very likely possible ............. it could easily survive well into the 300k miles arena and more :thumbsup:

Malc

10 minutes ago, Malc said:

it could easily survive well into the 300k miles arena and more :thumbsup:

Was watching Car SOS the other day when restoring a Hillman Imp (mate had one once, had the clutch come flying through the back seat - end of car.  

Anyway they said those cars were designed to last 7 years or so before they fell apart, good job that is not the case these days.  Amazing that they got Ship Builders build the Minx, be a bit like having a Lexus built by Microsoft techs who knew how to fix a toaster!!. 

A neighbour has a Xsara Picasso DS3 and at 98k miles the engine is shot. Low compression on 3/4 cylinders and won't stay in 4th gear. They still make cars with limited lifespans and lots of them. They are that way because they are built down to a price rather than up to a spec like the Lexus LS400/430.

I could never afford a new LS, but have to buy bigger cars because of my size, so I buy older limos and after experiencing the reliability of my two 1998 Honda Legends, and the horrendous unreliability of my 2001 S320CDI, I opted for the most reliable of them all, the 2004 LS430.  It could have been an LS400 if I could have found a decent one but they do generally seem to be higher mileage and that bit rougher than the 430s.

I know it's rude to ask how much, but I'm intrigued,... so how much?. 😁
My LS430 was £4400 at 91k miles in Jan 2018.

Congrats on finding a really good one. You'll enjoy it for many many years. 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MerchantOfVenice said:

I couldn’t possibly say how much it cost. However I will say it wasn’t cheap. It’s pretty much in perfect condition. 
just need to get some bits such as the battery case but can’t seem to find one anywhere...

Whatever it cost Zak, if you were willing to pay the sum, then it was worth it to you.

Enjoy a very fine vehicle.

• Like 1