Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I am looking at changing car (GS450h phase 4).

I was wondering if the Phase 4,16-21 RX450h has an accelarator pedal that hinges at the bottom or the top?

My GS hinges at the bottom like an organ pedal, which seems to allow your right foot to be held in many positions, reducing potential backache.

1 hour ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

I was wondering if the Phase 4,16-21 RX450h has an accelarator pedal that hinges at the bottom or the top?

Bottom on my 2018.

34 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Never realised it made that much difference?

It shouldn't really, and I speak as someone with a back injury that was bad enough to see me medically retired from work and left me in constant pain.

The worst thing I find, although paradoxically it's also the best thing, is that the seat is almost infinitely variable in it's range of positions. We only bought this car a few weeks ago and I didn't need to alter the seat position from how it was in the showroom. A couple of days ago I had reason to move it but then found out that none of the three memory buttons correspond to that specific position and I'm having great difficulty in replicating it!

I know I'll get there in the end but I haven't managed it yet :wacko:

24 minutes ago, Herbie said:

It shouldn't really, and I speak as someone with a back injury that was bad enough to see me medically retired from work and left me in constant pain.

The worst thing I find, although paradoxically it's also the best thing, is that the seat is almost infinitely variable in it's range of positions. We only bought this car a few weeks ago and I didn't need to alter the seat position from how it was in the showroom. A couple of days ago I had reason to move it but then found out that none of the three memory buttons correspond to that specific position and I'm having great difficulty in replicating it!

I know I'll get there in the end but I haven't managed it yet :wacko:

How annoying!

I can sympathise, I have a similar gripe and definitely prefer bottom hinge pedals. First noticed it on a lot of German cars. I have dodgy knees, so it deffo makes a difference. Also I wonder if these are marginally safer as it’s less likely to get caught in footwear? Glad you got your answer! 

I think it is just the NX that remains in production with the accelerator hinged at the top. The CT does too but technically no longer for sale. I suspect with the long history of pedals getting stuck under mats for Toyota they are moving all new models to a bottom hinge design.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I think it is just the NX that remains in production with the accelerator hinged at the top. The CT does too but technically no longer for sale. I suspect with the long history of pedals getting stuck under mats for Toyota they are moving all new models to a bottom hinge design.

Excellent point.

BMW, some Mercedes and VW, honda accord and lexus have bottom hinged pedals. With these you can have foot held at several different angles.

With top hinged pedal your foot seems to be needed to be jammed between the pedal and footwell wall, or held in bad position causing pain in thigh or back.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links