Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Brake Discs for RX450H

Has anyone had any RX450H brake discs replaced by a local garage and if so, did you buy it elsewhere and have it fitted? 

On my MOT last year, the Lexus Dealer stated on my certificate :

"Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened Front & Rear" 

So looking to get both front and rear replaced before this year's MOT but the Dealers will no doubt charge at least £275 for each. 

My only concerns on replacing it elsewhere would be how it would effect the Hybrid's 'Regenerative Braking' or the Extended Warranty I have. 

Thanks

There would be no effect on the regen braking system.

Pads are excluded from the warranty, as are the discs if just down to wear, and therefore it doesn't matter if you use non-genuine parts or have them changed at a non-Lexus service centre. If you want to play it safe then purchase genuine parts from Lexus Parts Direct and pay for them to be fitted by an Independent.

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-iii-2009-2015/lexus-rx-3-brakes-transmission/lexus-rx-phase-3-front-brake-set/

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-iii-2009-2015/lexus-rx-3-brakes-transmission/lexus-rx-phase-3-rear-brake-set/

I'd check your discs, they may be no worse than last year and aren't in need of being replaced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you don't wish to do this fairly straightforward job yourself, in which case I would also suggest you obtain the parts as Colin has linked to and have these fitted by somebody you trust, taking the opportunity to lubricate the slider pins.  You can be lucky with aftermarket discs/pads but there is more certainty with those supplied by the marque as replacements.  Lips can often form on the periphery of discs where the pads don't rub so thickness/wear should not be taken there but where the pads rub.  If the wear on each face allows and the disc can be machined satisfactorily and remain within spec for thickness, this can give them further life as I can attest.  But being without the car while this possibility is explored may make it impractical.

• Thanks 1

Make sure they don’t bleed the brakes without a tech stream or you will have an expensive trip to Lexus. The 450 bleeds by the abs pump. I changed front and rear disc and pads, straight forward to do and you will have the satisfaction of knowing they are cleaned and greased properly.

• Thanks 1

I'm contemplating having my front discs skimmed, I've got an annoying squeak at low speeds and the local Lexus dealership put it down to a lip of corrosion at the edge of the disc. They say there's plenty of the material on the discs and pads.

When I've had discs skimmed previously they did it on the car, effectively clamping a mini lathe onto the hub which spun the disc - is that advsiable with a hybrid or should the discs be removed?

Also, if the same pads are coming out and going back in again is there any need for bleeding and therefore Techstream?

My understanding is that the front brakes can be bled conventionally without Techstream.  However, unless you are wanting to replace the brake fluid (which might be timely anyway), if you are careful you can change the front pads without bleeding.  You need to draw off some of the brake fluid in the reservoir and then carefully prise back the pads until there is sufficient space to insert the new pads. Put some rag round the reservoir in case it overflows but draw off a little more as you prise the pads back so that by the time the piston is sufficiently retracted the reservoir is nearly full to capacity.  This is because when you first apply the brakes after new pads are fitted, the level in the reservoir will very likely fall and will need topping up with new fluid.

Had front discs on car skimmed by 'Skimmydiscs' or similar name but it was a rear wheel drive car.  It should be possible to remove the calliper without bleeding the discs in order to fit the mini lathe.  The calliper just needs to be secured out of the way.  The car would need to be put into neutral.  I don't know with the Lexus CVT and set up this would be harmful so is an aspect  you should get prior clearance on.

The main brake should not of course be operated without pads in or when the calliper is not in place in the discs.  Elementary but it has happened!    

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links