Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

5 hours ago, messi said:

Mine are 245 50 ZR17

Hello Zak.

I used to have a DHP LS400 and I had the same size tyres as Messi quoted.

Some people change to the 235 size as they are so much cheaper.

Steve.

7 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

My understanding is Lexus fitted 245s as standard.

Not according to this picture it seems. Maybe the right information got lost over the years but it seems the correct size is 235/45/17

Just because a size is written on the box it doesn't mean that is what the cars were sold with. For a given wheel width you have multiple tyres sizes that 'fit'.

What is the size of your wheel width, 7" or 7.5"?

There is a significant difference between the two tyre sizes. Maybe the DHP wheels where made for a different car or a few different cars in Japan using 235/45/17 tyres (hence the size on the box) and Lexus decided to fit them to the LS400 with 245/50/ZR17 tyres instead, just a thought..............

image.thumb.png.1084d9b78d51dc2042d0efcfe59e0214.png

OK, I have no idea why this keeps going to the wrong reference. This is the bit I was talking about:

• Established Member
  • 537 posts
  • Name: Jeremy
  • Lexus Model: LS460
  • Year of Lexus: 2007

I have posted this before...

(It was written by someone involved in the DHP in the first place):

Hi, I am the guy who did DHP spec for LS 400. For reference - Spring rate + 10% only, Height -10mm all round, rear anti roll bar + 1mm to aid turn in. Tyres Pirelli P Zero 245/50x17 Jaguar spec (XK8?).

No change to dampers. Car was done to please Lexus MD, but dealers liked it so we began to sell it !

Ride wasn't bad, but clearly firmer than standard. Any other tyres make much worse.

If you want ride quality back, just fit standard springs again.

Note- front suspension quite close to bump stoppers, so ride will suffer if springs have sagged with time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Razor61 said:

There is a significant difference between the two tyre sizes. Maybe the DHP wheels where made for a different car or a few different cars in Japan using 235/45/17 tyres (hence the size on the box) and Lexus decided to fit them to the LS400 with 245/50/ZR17 tyres instead, just a thought..............

image.thumb.png.1084d9b78d51dc2042d0efcfe59e0214.png

Agreed, 245/50/17 is almost identical in circumference to the Japan stock 225/60/16 wheels/tyres so speedo would maintain its calibration. 235/45/17 would throw it out too much, the lower side wall would probably compromise the ride comfort too much as well.

The wheels weren't used on other cars in Japan though. The DHP was a UK upgrade at port of entry, the wheels being sourced in Europe made by OZ. This is similar to the GS300 sport which also had all the sport parts fitted in the UK.

• 5 months later...
On 5/11/2021 at 2:20 PM, Tulpen said:

f you want ride quality back, just fit standard springs again.

So....how much would that cost? my ser 4 was standard and I'm tempted to get another, but ride quality important- the smoother the better. (I'm selling a 45K mile 1.5 auto Smart Forfour (07) just because of the harder ride.)

Would just changing springs be enough, on a DHP car?

• 2 weeks later...

DHP should be as stated previously 245/70 x17 (Jag XK 8 fitment). When I looked to replace the pirellis fitted I had 2 choices, both nearly £250 a tyre (this was in 2010). I decided to go down a width and got tyres for around £100 each (falkens). By going down a size, the speedo read faster than it should, so next tyre change I went for 235/55 x17's which brought speedo reading back closer to what it should be. It did read about 2 mph faster than actual speed though, and this increased to 3 when tyres wore down. I always used Falken tyres in my 12 years of ownership, and whilst their grip was superb, they didn't last long, but i'd rather not end up in a ditch, so I was fine with that. I'll look forward to hear what the new owner experiences in regard to future tyre choice.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the DHP springs are available as I looked some years ago and couldn't find any. It may be possible for old stock to be gathering dust on shelves somewhere though - who knows. I believe fitting coilovers may be the solution if maintaing the ride height and handling is important. Mine had an inch broken off the bottom of a front spring, but it still worked, and coilovers would have been my option if it had failed further. I do believe there are some spring manufacturers that could replicate the fitment, but I didn't explore that.

Yes, /70 was a typo, but I can't now edit it.