Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Please, please can you advise me of the best procedure for the following


Recommended Posts

Please, please can you advise me of the best procedure for the following:-
 
My daughter has a Beetle with a personalised plate P22BEX
 
They want to "buy" my blue Lexus.
 
Her insurance on the Beetle runs out in two weeks.
 
She will want to get a new insurance quote for the Lexus.
 
She wants to be able to have the Beetle insured so that it can be sold privately.
 
What is the best way to proceed so they are not without a car?
 
1) Put the plate on retention first then Inform insurance company of plate change?
 
2) Wait for new V5C to arrive - then advertise car?
 
3) What then to do about insurance?  There are various options, one is putting her husband on my insurance as a named driver?
 
I am befuddled of the best (cheapest) course of for her and me to take?
 
HELP PLEASE!
 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

The plate retention is easy, it takes about 5 mins online, it'll cost you £80.  It'll instantly revert to the original number and will still be taxed, they don't send a new MOT anymore so it'll still be current under the new reg number. A new VC5 takes 4-5 working days to arrive. I only know all this as I did mine last week when I sold my Celsior.  The insurance I'm not sure about, although a named driver on yours could work.  Have you tried online for a quote? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

The plate retention is easy, it takes about 5 mins online, it'll cost you £80.  It'll instantly revert to the original number and will still be taxed, they don't send a new MOT anymore so it'll still be current under the new reg number. A new VC5 takes 4-5 working days to arrive. I only know all this as I did mine last week when I sold my Celsior.  The insurance I'm not sure about, although a named driver on yours could work.  Have you tried online for a quote? 

Thank you Phil. We will probably go with the extra driver and sort out the insurance when the Beetle is sold. Retain the number plate first. 4-5 working days is not bad.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm understanding one can buy very very short term car insurance from some sources

days, weeks etc

Malc

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I’ve taken out short term car insurance in the past to cover an older car before sale after purchase of a newer car. I can’t remember how much it was but I do remember thinking it was reasonable at the time. I purchased it on line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Yes, I’ve taken out short term car insurance in the past to cover an older car before sale after purchase of a newer car. I can’t remember how much it was but I do remember thinking it was reasonable at the time. I purchased it on line.

Thanks Paul - som ething to consider when the insurance runs out.

 

Had a good reply from Honest John - thank you Roy of the Rovers!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Thanks Paul - som ething to consider when the insurance runs out.

 

Had a good reply from Honest John - thank you Roy of the Rovers!

He is the man! 😀

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership