Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking of getting a 500 V8

GT2

Hi chaps. Hope you don't mind me asking.  Time to replace my faithful Maserati Granturismo.  It s a toss up between a late Granturismo, F Type Jag V8 and a car I did not know existed until recently the LC500. (I want a dinosaur V8 before they are extinct)  My main concern is how do people react to the 500.? In 6 years of GT ownership I have only ever had positive reactions to the car- people love it wherever I go. And people don't judge you like when you have a Ferrari/Porsche /BMW.  Do people love you or hate you driving a stand out car like the 500??!!        I know it won't go wrong or incur big bills like the Mas......

The most common reaction from people who see the LC is "What is it?"

For me, the big plus is that you can actually use it and leave it parked up without worrying unlike jealousy inducing cars. I have only had positive reactions but this is probably due to the fact that it is a car that is pretty difficult to dislike.

The rarity factor means that it does stand out but I can put up with that. 😄

I've had nothing but appreciative 'wows' about my 500h. I've had two just today (!), once from a guy in an Audi TT at traffic lights who said that it was gorgeous but wasn't sure what it was, and another from a guy in Tesco car park who sort of knew what it was, said it was a stunner and a real 'gentleman's' car!

I've not had, as far as I'm aware, any negative/jealous reactions. I agree with Malcolm above, it is a difficult car to dislike.

• Like 1

I've had several positive comments from people at filling stations and when I've parked the LC. "You don't see many cars like that round here" was my favourite from a guy who had two Porsches parked in his drive. "You're not going to drive that beautiful thing away are you?" was another. 

People have preconceptions about Lexus cars in general but the LC really surprises them,  I think. It's face doesn't fit the brand and that prompts people to take a closer look. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, increasing swinging to the 5oo......I shall miss the Mas. but don't need 4 seats anymore now the kids have left school.....Its been pretty reliable but when it goes wrong boy  the bills can mount up.....

mas cantabria.jpg

• Like 1

YOu definitely need to test drive the LC.

You will find that the car is a lot smoother, feels better screwed together and benefits from higher quality materials. From my own (limited experience), gear changes are also smoother in the LC and does not 'hunt' in the way the Maserati gearbox can do at times, bearing in mind that my experience of the Maserati was a couple of weeks in a Quattroporte.

• Like 1

I agree with Daniel. You definitely need to test drive the LC. I have had several cars, but not a Maserati...

You mention an F Type Jag V8... I think my LC 500 is better than the SVR that I had...!

I had the LC Coupe before my Convertible, both great cars...

"You’re main concern when buying a car is what other people will think about it?"

No that was not what I was asking- If you drive a Porsche or ferrari people shout wan**r at you and scratch it in the car park-I was asking if you get a negative or positve reaction. Stupid comment.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, GT2 said:

"You’re main concern when buying a car is what other people will think about it?"

No that was not what I was asking- If you drive a Porsche or ferrari people shout wan**r at you and scratch it in the car park-I was asking if you get a negative or positve reaction. Stupid comment.

Definitively positive reactions Peter... Read the Topic, Hi and Help, in Lexus F Club. Linas has scribbled a super post about the LC 500...

16 minutes ago, GT2 said:

I think it’s a good move to return to clarify that point, Peter.  I too didn’t gather that you were referring to vandalism as opposed to superficial reaction.  

But I suggest that if that’s your concern, then where you take your car is at least as much a factor as what make it is.  Sadly, we have fellow citizens who will leave their mark on a car simply because they don’t have one!

I think your other points about reliability and maintenance costs would rate higher in terms of buying decisions.

Having owned an RC300h for over 3 1/2 years before changing to the LC, I'd say that, if budget isn't really a problem, I'd go for the LC straight away. It's a MASSIVE step up (and I was very happy with the RC); the RC, whilst well built, good-looking and fast enough (for me, at any rate) comes nowhere near the LC in my opinion.

I did consider getting a new LC as well, but, as I've been retired for years now, it would be cash, and it just goes against the grain to lose all that money in depreciation straight away. Test drive the LC, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I concur with all the replies to your question Peter, I test drove the Beamer 8 series, Merc S coups and the Porsche 911 and felt happiest in the LC, it’s not the fastest f the others but for rarity, only 450 odd in the country it’s a real head turner, absolutely love my V8 in sonic red.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

As a non LC owner think the great unwashed (as represented by me) look at an LC500 a bit like an Aston, which is in wonder, respect and wow factor.  When I had astons I got lots of positive comments and asks to make some noise, but when I have had porsches this happened less and I’ve had more “mysterious” bumps and scratches which were not from parking, if you know what I mean.  Someone chucked a rock at my Boxster in London at night once, it hit the car and I thought I’d been shot at.  Nice.

ive only seen 4 LCs outside dealers since I became aware of them via a YouTube guy called jayemm.  One was a rather dirty dark one at night on the M1 with 20” rims and three clean ones with 21s in white and sonic silver all three of which absolutely blew my mind, and had me gawking like a schoolboy.

They weren’t even moving.

It was the LC video by jayemm that started me looking at Lexus as a brand, but couldn’t afford one (or a GSF) so looked at RCFs but they weren’t practical enough with a baby, so got into an ISF as a last resort, which I love.

Its an unknown gemstone, I dont own an LC and am considering one for the future, but the car is exceptionally distinct. Not once until I had seen one in person was i even tempted by it though. 

As for the engine... Well the Lexus 5L V8 engine is stunning, the noise and feel of it is just sublime.