Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1997 LS400 needs work on eBay

Hi, there is a 1997 LS400 on eBay that looks decent (link below). Does anyone know anything about the car or looked at it maybe or maybe even bidding on it? I have put a bid in for it but I think it will go for more than I want to pay.

1997 Lexus LS 400 - lovely, runs & drives but needs work/tuning  https://ebay.us/XR9pWl

I saw this a couple of days ago, the ECU hanging out and the fact that it has been opened immediately rang alarm bells.

“Runs as smooth as silk”  until it revs up!

”a consistent team of mechanics look after her” but not this time. It sounds like they’ve given up this time.

If it were cheap maybe but already at £770.00 plus sorting the issues out, if you’re not local transporter costs at £1.50 a mile .....no thanks.

lowish mileage and a pretty good looking body ............  wot's not to like !

those rusty Advisories sound a bit odd 

I'd be a little wary of the front seat passenger tho' ............. maybe the remnants of the last indy mechanic that tried to fix some cardboard box inflicted terrorism ..... there might be another appearing within your budget  .....  max £25k ?:wink3:

Malc

If the price it right I’ll give it a go, I’ve been in touch with the seller and got a lot of information so I’m reasonably happy about what I’ll getting and what I’m letting myself in for😬 plus I still have a nearly complete OEM set of suspension stuff that will fit, an ECU, a set of standard wheels, service kit and lots of other stuff. I just need to break the news to the ‘boss’ if I get it…………

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Howplum said:

Apparently it's easier to seek forgiveness than permission, but I've never dared to put that theory to the test!

I have……………..tonight as it happens but in a roundabout way. I was heard on the phone to the seller tonight and the boss is sure I’ve bought it or will buy it no matter what I say. I’m not the most popular person at moment😬 but what the heck……life is for living and not for living under the thumb😎

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Razor61 said:

life is for living

you're absolutely right AND if it's colour is Aspen Green and you have two unblemished rear doors going spare somewhere along the line then I'll be asking you for them please 

the " thumb " never goes away, just a question of relieving the pressure at times :wink3:

Malc

heard a buddy of mine passed a couple of days ago, age 82 and always working on something or other but would never have a Lexus, always preferred the Mercedes ........... and the bills 😲

16 minutes ago, Malc said:

if it's colour is Aspen Green and you have two unblemished rear doors going spare somewhere along the line then I'll be asking you for them please 

Sorry to hear about your buddy.

I'll keep in mind about the doors if I get it. Not sure what colour it is, in the pictures it looks metallic grey. On the MOT checker is says it's Grey but on the Road Tax checker it says it is Green. I've asked for the VIN so I can check if the spare ECU I have is compatible and the paint code so I know for sure what colour it is.

Colour and trim for the car are below.

Framecolor    6N0  Moonstone Pearl and I've not seen many in that colour
Trimcolor    LE61    Agate or Cypress which is a light green and the same as the last LS400 I had

• Like 1

If the price is right, I guess...

Love the term, 'full wheel balancing', as opposed to...? Partial, empty, some, a bit...

I always wonder in listings, where the fix is, 'just a ...', why the seller does not apply the fix themselves?

Perhaps a project car and the willingness to succeed or at least enjoy trying!

It would be a project car with a view to keeping it if successful or selling on and make a few quid maybe. I admit the ECU hanging out doesn't look good but I've had a long chat with the owner and the sequence of events and work done after the O2 sensor was disconnected by a cardboard box all makes sense. I was intrigued by how a cardboard box could rip off an O2 sensor, motorway speed and unable to avoid a large cardboard box which went underneath the car and ripped the electrical connection off is basically what happened. When travelling at enough speed softer pieces of material can cause some surprising damage i.e. the piece of foam on the space shuttle to give an extreme example. The ECU needs sorting out, replacing the caps etc, and maybe a new ECU temp sensor which I think will go a long way to resolving the engine running issues, then take it from there.....................if I end up buying it of course.

It's 240 miles from me and will need transporting which will cost around £300 - £350. I could arrange a friend to pick it up on his transporter but once you work out the cost of fuel, £200 +, and the time for both of us (and he is flat out working all hours with his business) £300 - £350 for someone else to pick up and deliver is the best option all round.

• Like 2

Car went for £820 which was over what I was prepared to pay, not by a huge amount but you have to draw the line somewhere and stick to it. I'll keep looking for a 'project' car to occupy my time, ideally a MK3 but maybe a MK4 as most of the parts I have will fit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An update on this car…………..

Although I didn’t win the car on eBay the seller got in touch and told me the person that did win the car has fixed all the issues and is now selling the car. Apparently it was bought by a mechanic/engineer to repair and sort out for his father, didn’t work out that way so it’s for sale.
I’ve talked to the guy and it’s had a lot of work done as below. New price is £2750 and I’m thinking about it……….all the work that has been done I planned to do as a project. I’m told it runs great now, good underneath and doesn’t need anything mechanically doing. There is rust bubbles on one of the wings and drivers rear arch which is the downside and concern for me given the issues I had with the last 95 LS400 I had so would need to look myself, but it’s over 200 miles away in Ilford. If I decide not to bother I can pass on the contact details if anyone else is interested.

new lambda sensors, new maf sensor, ECU capacitors replaced, full service, new leads, distributor caps, rotor arms, rocket cover gaskets, front brake pads and discs, wing mirrors glass replaced, new tyres plus other stuff I can’t remember.

nothing inexpensive then like UCAs, Trailing Arms, Cambelt and Waterpump etc etc etc ............  just done the really really expensive stuff to get right :yahoo:

Malc

sorry i jest 

1 hour ago, Malc said:

nothing inexpensive then like UCAs, Trailing Arms, Cambelt and Waterpump etc etc etc ............  just done the really really expensive stuff to get right :yahoo:

Malc

sorry i jest 

Jesting aside………lambda sensors and MAF are not exactly cheap items plus all the other stuff and the ECU capacitor repair etc. I priced up all the stuff I expected to need and it came to quite a few quid and I already have a spare ECU to use, hence my max bid of £750. I estimate it’s had around £1k spent in parts plus tyres.

then I guess the re-seller is only making about £500 profit for all his labours if you assess new tyres at @£500 and the sale price at £2750 ....  and that's likely to be negotiated upon too !

Maybe a good on-buy for someone then :unsure:

Malc

That “new ignition coils” doesn’t look new, if you look at the seller’s feedback you can almost see what’s been ordered and fitted....all aftermarket?

I wonder what attacked the firewall insulation?

Lots of money spent on his short ownership, wonder if the heated seats still work.

Trouble is the work has already been done Paul and now it’s 3 times the price.

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Trouble is the work has already been done Paul and now it’s 3 times the price.

Yep, I had a think about it and decided not to bother. I suspect the rear arches etc are starting to go and will need sorting plus the ‘surface’ rust on the the rear arch and front arch.

13 hours ago, Razor61 said:

looks like it’s a different shade

you're quality of vision is exceptional .......... beyond me to discern that for sure :unsure:

Malc