Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sport vs Sport +

Hi all, I'm on the hunt for a Used LC500 and I was wondering if anyone can provide any guidance if the Sport + makes any difference from the standard sport. The rear wing looks awesome, but the rear wheel drive and torsten dif aren't probably worth it.
Any thoughts?

Haven't driven the LC but it uses the same modes as the F series cars. 

The main difference between the two modes other than the gear ranges I've noticed is that traction control softens up alot. Still switched on but allowing you to slide without the car trying to stop it as hard. 

Hi,

I have a Sport V8 and test drove all 3 versions before buying.

The must haves for me are 21in wheels,sports seats ,carbon fibre roof and ML system.Whilst it would have been nice to have the retractable rear spoiler,it was not a must and I could not detect any appreciable difference in handling etc from the trick diff and rear steering. 
I was open to buying either a Sport or Sport Plus but at the the time the colour and age/mileage available presented my white Sport.

My friends and contacts in the trade have all assumed it is the Plus model until I have pointed out the only exterior difference,eg the rear spoiler.

I am very happy with the Sport for my style of driving,which does not include  any track use.

I hope you find what you want as the sale of these incredible cars has increased recently,certainly on the used market.

A J.

Personal choice, and how much you want to spend…! The LC 500 is a great car…! 

The 4 wheel Active Steering is actually noticeable and helpful when parking etc…

I personally think the Carbon Fibre Roof, and the Carbon Fibre Scuff Plates with LEXUS Inscription, both look good. 

I had a Coupe Sport +. My Convertible unfortunately hasn’t got the 4 wheel Active Steering. Savagegeese explains why in this review… 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZfAW6NqASY&t=16s 

Sport Pack…

21” Forged Alloy Wheels

Sport Front Seats with Alcantara. Leather Upholstery

Carbon Fibre Roof

8-way Electrically Adjustable Front Seats

Alcantara. Instrument Panel Finish 

Sport + Pack

Carbon Fibre Scuff Plates with LEXUS Inscription

Retractable Rear Spoiler

Torsen. Limited Slip Differential

Dynamic Handling with 4-wheel Active Steering

Variable Gear Ratio Steering

Alcantara. Finish: Front & Centre Pillars, Roof Headlining, Tonneau Cover and Sun Visors 

OPTIONS

Head-Up Display & Card Key

13-speaker Mark Levinson. Premium Surround Sound System

Are you going to be driving you car near the limit to really appreciate the extras the plus spec gives you? If not then you are paying a lot for a few cosmetic upgrades.

Purchasing used, you have more choice with plus as many of the original press cars and dealer demonstrators where the full plus spec and are the ones up for sale at the moment.

Am I right in thinking that the Torsen diff with rear wheel steering will prevent you from drifting the back end out when cornering at speed (if that is what floats your boat)? I notice that in most of the 'look what I can do in my LC 500' vids, turning off traction control is the first step.

Useful description of the Torsten diff pros & cons:

https://www.kmpdrivetrain.com/differentials/torsen-vs-plated-limited-slip-differential/

The reality is,in normal day to day use ,none of that makes much difference in my opinion.

The vids on Youtube are usually with cars not actually owned by the so called reviewer.

A J.

I have the Sport grade, as it was the only approved-used one I could find at the time that fit the bill in terms of price/colour/availability etc. I wouldn't have been particularly bothered about the spoiler/active/steering/Torsen etc. The trim differences inside are very minor. The carbon fibre kick plates are very nice, and I asked the dealer how much it would be to get them fitted. Apparently they are £3 grand EACH! So I didn't pursue that one........

How much!

Thats robbery,they arent that big. The demo unit I drove had a nasty scratch on the carbon door plate presumably caused by a shoe so they dont eliminate that.

A J.

IMO, having driven standard and Sport+ versions, there is almost no discernible difference in day-to-day driving.

For me, the main differences between the grades are the seats, roof and wheels. The Sport and Sport+ have Alcantara seats, the 21inch chrome wheels and carbon fibre roof. The standard model has real leather seats, 20inch wheels and a glass roof.

For me, the latter specification was preferable.

4 hours ago, lloydweb said:

Yes, I might have paid £300 each to have them fitted but not £3k! Even the dealer said that was ridiculous.......

I think they price them so high to stop people turning their Sport into a Sport Plus.

• Haha 1

No, I saw them in a picture of another LC500 and thought they looked really nice. I just asked my dealer how much they would be. He didn't know, so got his Parts department to check. They are not a standard upgrade option.

23 hours ago, AJ500 said:

How much!

Thats robbery,they arent that big. The demo unit I drove had a nasty scratch on the carbon door plate presumably caused by a shoe so they dont eliminate that.

A J.

I had mine wrapped to prevent the scratching.

It does give a different appearance which some people may or may not like.

IMG_1538.jpeg

Hi Guys just bought an LC500 sports +. Great car had it 2 weeks. Only issue is the ML stereo sounds terrible -really tinny. Tried reducing treble etc and pushing fader to rear but still no good compared to the ML I have had previously in my 2 RX models and GS450. Anyone else noted this or is it a fault?

Sounds like something may not be quite right, when i play music from a USB and the volume is turned up to 35 you can see  the interior mirror vibrating, 

have you sat in the back to determine that the sub is working ok?

No I will try that. But you are right in my GS450h that was a very noticeable feature. I think the sub is not working. Will ask Lexus to look at it and report back.

Hi Majid, no, I have the ML as well and it doesn't sound tinny at all to me. I also had it in my previous car, the RC300h, and it wasn't a problem there either. This sort of thing CAN be quite subjective, but if you think it really sounds 'wrong', may be a good idea as you say to get the subwoofer checked out.