Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wind noise from driver's door

Has anybody experienced this? I have wind noise coming from the driver's door at motorway speeds. Sometimes I can make it quieter by rolling the window up and down but it's still there. 

I've looked at the rubber seals and all appear to be in good working order.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Only thought is that there is a slight air gap when the window is up at full closure, and this is the right size gap to create a certain frequency of noise.  

I would maybe just get some masking tape over the seals, and drive to see if it goes.  Then if it goes, maybe just peel off parts of the masking tape until the noise comes back, might indicate where the seal to glass fit is playing up.

As the seals harden over time they do sometimes have little gaps that can whistle (had this on old Volvo - but not on any LS - so far)

One of the guys on the US forum had cracks in the rubber strip that runs down the roof gutter. At speed he had a whistle from that.
In his case just cracking the drivers window slightly open would stop or reduce the noise, presumably by changing the airflow in that area.
He fixed it by filling the cracks, rubbing black RTV into them.

Thanks for the tips guys, didn't even think about the roof gutter I just assumed it was the door. I'll take a look, cheers 🙂

I am not sure where I read it but I heard that sometimes they would not seal behind the mirror mounting properly, the fix as I remember was to take it off and squidge some silicone behind it then put it back.