Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic tailgate - how to open using car key?

Hi guys, 

This is how I imagine opening my car with my key (as seen in link bellow) similar to the key I have for my NX three button layout. Batteries are new and recently replaced no issues with car detecting key etc.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e3/42/33/e34233862ef4c647221ab8cc0404c253.jpg

Me imagining - So I walk up to the locked car with my groceries, press the tailgate button (on the key) as I approach the vehicle, the tailgate opens, I place in my groceries in the boot, press the large button on the tailgate and the tailgate closes as I make my way to the drivers door to get in the car. 

Reality - as I walk up to the car, I press and hold the tailgate button on the key (car beeps twice) and nothing happens. Ok, I press again, same story. Then I decide to press the unlock button (mirrors unfold car is open) then I hold tailgate button again, now I have one looong beep - but the tailgate remains shut. So ok, I walk up to the car and press the rubber strip on the back (under number plate) and hold - the tailgate opens automatically as expected. I then close the tailgate by the large square button on tailgate, it closes with no issues. Now, with this process done, if I step away from the car and hold the tailgate button on the keyfob - whuallaa! The tailgate opens!

Why, oh why, is the tailgate not opening when the car is being approached as it is locked. My parents have an Nissan xtrail and have exactly the experience I described in my (imagine) scenario. 

I am puzzled here, I am also struggling to download the NX manual from website as the car is German import and the manuals are in German. If someone could share a .pdf in English would be much appreciated! 

All your help much appreciated. 

Many thanks!

My 4RX is the same, the opening of the tailgate by key fob button is very hit and miss. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not. The tailgate button only seems to work after the car has been unlocked and needs a very long press from not too far away. Seems to close remotely OK. I've not found it enough of a problem to raise with Lexus and have to pay them to tell me there is nothing wrong.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with my series II RX, my current GS or my wife's UX. The button press is long and sometimes you don't press it down for long enough which is annoying but never had a problem with range (if door unlock works then so does the boot) or it refusing to open.

The fact that you are hearing two beeps means the vehicle has received your signal to open the boot but the system is refusing to do so (or is configured not to).

28 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Can't say I've ever had a problem with my series II RX, my current GS or my wife's UX. The button press is long and sometimes you don't press it down for long enough which is annoying but never had a problem with range (if door unlock works then so does the boot) or it refusing to open.

The fact that you are hearing two beeps means the vehicle has received your signal to open the boot but the system is refusing to do so (or is configured not to).

Thanks for sharing the manual! Was unable to download from Lexus website for whatever reason. 

Well this is it, I get the 2 beeps but nothing happens. If the tailgate operates fine when using the under number plate button and it has no mechanical failure, then my only explanation would be settings in the system. I have walked through them and can't find anything relating the tailgate, except having it automated or not. 

What really puzzles me is once I have unlocked, and once manually opened the tailgate (with the button under number plate) if I walk away from the car it will then work with the key fob with no issue.

Only when the car is locked I am unable to open it using the key fob. 

Thanks anyway, I will check the manual and see if I can find anything on this further. 

Yep, unlock car first then long-press tailgate button.

Alternatively, I can hold the key fob close to the rear 'L' badge and the tailgate unlocks.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:06 PM, Herbie said:

Alternatively, I can hold the key fob close to the rear 'L' badge and the tailgate unlocks.

Really? - I was not aware of this and cannot find reference to this in the handbook...

Edited by DanD
I have tried and this does not work with my car

25 minutes ago, DanD said:

Really? - I was not aware of this and cannot find reference to this in the handbook...

Sorry Dan, I may well be wrong. I hadn't realised that this thread is about the NX, not the RX. Here's the page for the RX:

1100204718_2021-05-19(2).thumb.png.302537ab89a037961ba48283808fa3b6.png

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

Sorry Dan, I may well be wrong. I hadn't realised that this thread is about the NX, not the RX. Here's the page for the RX:

1100204718_2021-05-19(2).thumb.png.302537ab89a037961ba48283808fa3b6.png

No worries :-)

On 5/14/2021 at 11:06 PM, Herbie said:

Long time ago I was selling alarm and remote controls to cars sent to South Africa. Tailgate opens immediately so you can put in your things. No other doors open as somebody could be laying on side of the car waiting for it to unlock.

Drivers door could be opened alone as could passenger door. Either rear or front.

Dangerous country to live in maybe.

Looked into this a bit further. Seems Lexus now default to a setting that only allows the Power Back Door to open via the wireless key fob if the vehicle is unlocked.

There is a setting to allow it to unlock the vehicle and open the PBD when pressing the key fob (either holding down for 0.8s or double press can be selected) but that is a dealer only configuration setting (or someone with techstream - Carista doesn't know about this setting).

2132977762_Screenshot2021-05-14at19_14_36.thumb.png.84315bcb018e5d6277b3efb9138e8861.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

Interesting.

Mine works, unlock the car then long press on the fob for the tailgate.

If I don't unlock the car the tailgate will not open on the fob.

Yes that's what seems to be the default now. The tailgate won't open unless the vehicle is unlocked first. If can be changed so that it will open if the vehicle is locked - which is how it as always worked on older Lexus vehicle (2003 - 2015?).

31 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Yes that's what seems to be the default now. The tailgate won't open unless the vehicle is unlocked first. If can be changed so that it will open if the vehicle is locked - which is how it as always worked on older Lexus vehicle (2003 - 2015?).

Might be a change in alarm system, that it's not zoned the way it used to be. 
Then again I'm not sure it's possible with a 5 door tailgate Vs. 4 door booted car 

1 hour ago, Al D-Much said:

Might be a change in alarm system, that it's not zoned the way it used to be. 
Then again I'm not sure it's possible with a 5 door tailgate Vs. 4 door booted car 

I think it's similar to the situation with windows where someone at some point in time has sat on their remote and opened their windows/boot without knowing, so now Lexus disable the feature by default or everyone.

I don't have a problem with that if they made the setting available to the owner through the menu system, but for some reason they continue to make it a dealer only customisation.