Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

BMW's getting stuck in a ford.

Mincey

4 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I am quite shocked Steve! I had no idea you were so reckless!

That was many years ago David, today I would approach with care, sound my horn to warn other road and bridge users of my presence then boot it through😀

• Haha 2

Just now, steve2006 said:

That was many years ago David, today I would approach with care, sound my horn to warn other road and bridge users of my presence then boot it through😀

Not in that Celsior though ?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am enjoying that the recovery trucks seem to be operated by "Richford". I don't suppose they have a sneaky hosepipe into the ford, to ensure it keeps bringing them riches.

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2021 at 10:18 PM, dublet said:

I am enjoying that the recovery trucks seem to be operated by "Richford". I don't suppose they have a sneaky hosepipe into the ford, to ensure it keeps bringing them riches.

That would be very devious and rather underhand wouldn't it! 😉

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

And more - this is my lucky week! Several Scheissewagens removed from the road here, plus - don't take a van through the ford. You may not come out.

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

And more - this is my lucky week! Several Scheissewagens removed from the road here, plus - don't take a van through the ford. You may not come out.

The van at 5.15 shows how it should be done ..... very slowly. Of course that still depends on the depth of the water not being too high.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Stuck in the house with Covid at the mo. I'm saving these for when I'm at my lowest ebb :thumbsup:

(That may be around 2pm today)

Chin up - I hope you're feeling better soon. These videos will definitely help your recovery!

• Thanks 1

The young lad watching at 45 seconds - he doesn't need a Playstation or an Xbox, he's getting all the fun and excitement he needs watching flaws in German engineering!

Seems like they should put up a sign, No BMWs beyond this point!

Funny how it locks the back wheels when towing out.

Amazing how many loose their number plates. 

Great entertainment as long as it’s not your car. Thanks for sharing. 

On 9/30/2021 at 2:34 PM, Sundance said:

Fascinating ... if only just to see how few drivers know the best way to drive through deep water! 🛶

^^ Out of interest what is the correct technique? Is it a fast entry as so many seem to try, or a slow entry gradually building up a bow wave (which is what I think I’ve heard previously)?

Personally I wouldn’t even enter standing water like that, but I would be interested to know what I should do if I had no choice.

I'd say there's no real best way. Most important has to be knowing the engine layout, specifically where the air intake is. On my Subaru I'd also be mindful of the plugs (flat four). Other than that, slow and steady would be my approach but there aren't many cars I'd tackle those depths in.

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

I'd say there's no real best way. Most important has to be knowing the engine layout, specifically where the air intake is. On my Subaru I'd also be mindful of the plugs (flat four). Other than that, slow and steady would be my approach but there aren't many cars I'd tackle those depths in.

Agree, but you dont know the depth until you are in the middle.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Agree, but you dont know the depth until you are in the middle.

If you HAVE TO cross water, the safest way is to wade it first and CHECK the depth. It is far better to turn round and find an alternative route if you can.

It makes great viewing and apparently gets the locals entertained as well. However it leaves some questions.

Why is this road not closed when flooded?  With so many cars getting wrecked why is nobody stopping traffic? 

Why are people laughing at other peoples misery? I would feel abolutely gutted if it would happen to me.

13 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

It makes great viewing and apparently gets the locals entertained as well. However it leaves some questions.

Why is this road not closed when flooded?  With so many cars getting wrecked why is nobody stopping traffic? 

Why are people laughing at other peoples misery? I would feel abolutely gutted if it would happen to me.

I do not imagine that you would be so silly as to try it Bernard.

• Like 1

The golden rule is apparently, is the water level lower than the bottom of your exhaust pipe? If it is, you can ford the ford. If it’s higher, then the water will flood down your exhaust pipe into the engine and it’s flatbed truck time.