Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 1st Lexus, question about Speed Camera data

ChrisCross

16 hours ago, Herbie said:

About a year ago I got 3 points and £100 fine, then a few weeks later I got caught again but this time it was a speed awareness course.

As someone who has almost always driven about 5 or 6mph above the limit, I'm now trying to be a good citizen and stick to the limits but I don't mind admitting that I'm finding it very difficult; partly, I suppose, due to habit and partly because these cars are so quiet and effortless.

The upshot is that I'm glancing down at the speedo about once every 5 to 10 seconds and I feel it's distracting me more and making me a potentially worse driver than I was when speeding. A very loud bleep at 2mph over the limit would be a great asset I feel.

You make a great point regarding distraction so much so speed detectors are actually legal and encouraged because of that very point 👍

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Well John, as I recall the Highway Code came into effect in 1931, or just after half past seven when I went to the pub. After which I cannot recall the contents of most things 🍺 As to speed I am old enough to recall being in an Aston doing 132 all quite legitimately on the M1. 

I like your sense of humour Phil. I always remind people that Magna Carta was signed at a quarter past twelve 😊.

If you remember being on (the M1?) a motorway between `59 and `65 doing a speed at which a current Boeing 737 is about to take off, then I must give you much more respect and award you 9th refusal of my copy of The Highway Code which cost one old penny.🤣🤣

Have a good day and give my friend Linas a break !🤞

23 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I like your sense of humour Phil. I always remind people that Magna Carta was signed at a quarter past twelve 😊.

If you remember being on (the M1?) a motorway between `59 and `65 doing a speed at which a current Boeing 737 is about to take off, then I must give you much more respect and award you 9th refusal of my copy of The Highway Code which cost one old penny.🤣🤣

Have a good day and give my friend Linas a break !🤞

Ah, Librae, Solidi and Denarii, coupled with Avoirdupois now THERE was a proper way of exercising the need for mental gymnastics John. Linas has become my replacement therapy 😉. In all seriousness I think he is well intentioned and lays down spirited chat designed to encourage equivalent responses. And I bite all the time 🤡

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

And the 10% myth is just that a myth, it is purely down to local regions whether or not they apply any form of leeway.

If I recall it correctly, this was an unofficial allowance applied at the discretion of the Traffic Officer based on the reality that an unregulated car speedometer could not be guaranteed accurate to within 10%.  So a motorist would simply claim in Court that their speed as indicated was within the limit.

I've also driven cars where the cable-driven speedo oscillated wildly over +- 10mph! 

• Like 2

Speed is the vital factor - if you have a similar crash at 40 mph and 150 mph the consequences can be more drammatic. 

This guy was apparently doing 150 miles an hour - legally in Germany. This footage made me cringe.

Scary indeed.

Although I noticed that he didn't start braking until he saw it was too late, which was after he was flashing the other car.  Not sure it would have made a difference but I think I would have started slowing down immediately if I saw someone coming into my lane.

It is odd though since typically in Germany they are very good with their lane discipline.  

@ Herbie.  Thanks for posting that chart. I didn't know it was available. All I know is that in your case if you get caught say doing 35 in a 30 within the next 2-2.5 years you WILL be fined and points given. You won't get offered the course. 

Interesting the absence of the OP to this thread. Has he been scared off I wonder lol. 

Good banter tho on this thread, one of the best here. 

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

@ Herbie.  Thanks for posting that chart. I didn't know it was available. All I know is that in your case if you get caught say doing 35 in a 30 within the next 2-2.5 years you WILL be fined and points given. You won't get offered the course. 

No worries Vlad. Just be aware that that chart is what Lancashire Constabulary use - I don't know if other forces use the same or not.

I know about the next penalty if it should happen again. The points stay on for four years so if it happens again during that time there's no discussion, no speed course, just straight to points and a big fine. This is why I'm now paranoid about sticking to the limit and glancing at the speedo every few seconds.

Hi Herbie. Just noticed you have the fabulous RX450H. When I had mine I found it so easy to drive at 30 as it was just so relaxing. Don't be paranoid about glancing at your speedo every few seconds. In a 30 set your cruise control to 30. 40 in a 40 etc etc etc. I do that in my 7.5t truck. In my is250 I do the same. After getting done for 37 in a 30 in Bradford (camera at the bottom of a long downhill road, cash cow) and after the course that's what I do. Its my livelihood to keep my licence. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Herbie. Just noticed you have the fabulous RX450H. When I had mine I found it so easy to drive at 30 as it was just so relaxing. Don't be paranoid about glancing at your speedo every few seconds. In a 30 set your cruise control to 30. 40 in a 40 etc etc etc. I do that in my 7.5t truck. In my is250 I do the same. After getting done for 37 in a 30 in Bradford (camera at the bottom of a long downhill road, cash cow) and after the course that's what I do. Its my livelihood to keep my licence. 

The trouble with setting cruise control is that the vehicle will always drive at the maximum speed, which may not be the safe speed for the conditions.

What I really miss in my Lexus is what (nearly) all Mercedes have and that is a soft speed limiter, where one sets (in a similar fashion as one sets CC) the maximum speed to which one can accelerate but the car doesn't try and maintain that speed the driver still has complete control up to the set limit. Much better system for not exceeding the speed limit IMHO

I wonder why more marques don't include this?

• Like 3

Good point Peter. Every car over the last decade or more has had a speed limiter button/switch. Yes you're right you do and will have more control of your speed. 

My truck doesn't have one of those buttons hence I use cruise with my foot hovering the brake pedal. 

13 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

The trouble with setting cruise control is that the vehicle will always drive at the maximum speed, which may not be the safe speed for the conditions.

What I really miss in my Lexus is what (nearly) all Mercedes have and that is a soft speed limiter, where one sets (in a similar fashion as one sets CC) the maximum speed to which one can accelerate but the car doesn't try and maintain that speed the driver still has complete control up to the set limit. Much better system for not exceeding the speed limit IMHO

I wonder why more marques don't include this?

I`ve never used mine Peter.

15 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Try it, perfect around town and in those motorway roadworks 👍

+1 on using it for roadworks, but don't be like those idiots in German cars who dab the brakes to release the CC. Press the button. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mincey said:

+1 on using it for roadworks, but don't be like those idiots in German cars who dab the brakes to release the CC. Press the button. 

Why would that be James?

Surely, pressing the button will turn it off so when you want it back on again it would be press the button and set the speed, instead of just pressing RES(ume)?

30 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Why would that be James?

Surely, pressing the button will turn it off so when you want it back on again it would be press the button and set the speed, instead of just pressing RES(ume)?

Oh I'm a confused and forgetful old Hector now - it has been a very long time since I did a journey where I needed CC. I should have said "pull the stalk towards you" and not "press the button" (I think...)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 12:51 PM, Shahpor said:

Scary indeed.

Although I noticed that he didn't start braking until he saw it was too late, which was after he was flashing the other car.  Not sure it would have made a difference but I think I would have started slowing down immediately if I saw someone coming into my lane.

It is odd though since typically in Germany they are very good with their lane discipline.  

I lived/worked there for the past few years. Had a 45 mile commute each way, my wife had a 40 mile commute each way in the opposite direction. We've both found German drivers to be much worse than UK drivers. Driving here is downright civilized in comparison (London in the naughties, Scotland in the early 10's, and now Lancashire).

Germans hardly ever indicate, constantly tailgate, are chronic speeders and are clueless when it comes to roundabouts. Very aggressive drivers. A lot of them treat every motorway as if it's a no speed limit autobahn. Their insurance premiums tell the story. No way will you be able to get the equivalent of 240 pounds for a premium (my last premium before I moved to Germany). My Uncle who's been there for donkey years still pays 600EUR+ a year on a fiesta (perfect driving and claims record). My last premium was just under the 800EUR mark for a Diesel Honda Civic Hatch.

When it comes to speeding, the fines are a joke and used be as low as 10EUR with no points, now 20 EUR oooh (Link), so everyone is doing 10+kph.

Roundabouts ha. We had a horrible 4 way intersection in Bonn, constant traffic gridlock. They put in a huge roundabout, multiple accidents later they put back the traffic lights on top of the roundabout. They never indicate when they leave the roundabout, so good luck merging into a busy roundabout when you can't tell if the moron coming towards you is leaving at your exit or continuing round.

Unless there's a speed camera in a construction zone, no-one does the reduced limit. God forbid you do and it's a single lane construction.

Staying in the left lane (right lane here) till the last moment to jump in front of a line of cars exiting the motorway...I've got endless stories of German road stupidity. I really don't know where they get the reputation of being good drivers. Frankly I'd take the Yanks over the Germans when it comes to daily driving.

Sorry rant over

Great rant many thanks. I lived in Germany for many years and still visit. What I would say is their roads and driving infrastructure are far superior to the UK so perhaps its installed a false sense of security amongst the populace. That combined with lack of enforcement I guess compared to the UK. It still can't be as bad as rural France on a Sunday afternoon where I reckon a sizeable majority having enjoyed a Merlot or two for dinner make things rather 'Interesting'.  

I've only visited France a few times, yes their driving is as you say "interesting". Agreed German road infrastructure is much better than the UK. However, if you want to see really pristine motorway infrastructure cross the border into Holland. Those guys know what they're doing. Green roads, proper drainage, incredibly smooth tarmac. Was driving in a downpour once close to the border, lots of spray from vehicles in front. Crossed the border into Holland, spay gone, tyre roar gone. It was still raining heavily, it's just they've been replacing a lot of their roads with ones that drain through the surface aka green roads. Add to that very calm and civilized driving, one of the most relaxed driving experiences of my life.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links