Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Catalytic Converter lock for NX

Hi all,

Has anyone come across or fitted a cat lock to their NX yet?

It seems that Lexus make one for the RX and CT but not the NX. The CatLock website also doesn’t show a specific NX fitment.

Our road is being targeted for cat theft right now which is a good prompt to look at this.

Thanks!

As discussed previously here, the main NX cat converter is in the engine bay, with a smaller secondary one outside. Due to this arrangement, it's suspected it comes across as too difficult to remove quickly, and thus the NX hasn't been a target for cat theft (so far).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, subria88 said:

As discussed previously here, the main NX cat converter is in the engine bay, with a smaller secondary one outside. Due to this arrangement, it's suspected it comes across as too difficult to remove quickly, and thus the NX hasn't been a target for cat theft (so far).

That is not the reason. The CT and RX have the same design.

• Thanks 1

And the CTs and RXs being affected are the older designs prior to 2010 no? With the older generation cats containing more precious metals than the more recent designs?

We've not heard of the same generation RAV4 (upon which the NX is based off) being affected by cat theft either.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, subria88 said:

And the CTs and RXs being affected are the older designs prior to 2010 no?

Some series III RX have been targeted (2009-2015) and Lexus have developed a Catloc for that model now, but not the NX.

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

That is not the reason. The CT and RX have the same design.

The RXs that have been targeted do not have the same design as the NX, that is why they are targeted. The cat on the targeted cars are very simple to access and right under the centre of the car. You can see this in the many photos that have been posted of the missing cats. Also the RX is higher off the ground, making the theft quick and easy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Oliver said:

The RXs that have been targeted do not have the same design as the NX, that is why they are targeted.

Same design in that they have a primary cat in the engine bay and secondary cat under the vehicle - that is what I was referring to.

The physical design of the RX make it easier but I don't think that is going to stop the organised gangs targeting the NX if they felt is was financially worthwhile - the Prius doesn't have high ground clearance and the exhaust is somewhat recessed into the floor but that is the most commonly targeted vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a bit of info that may possibly give a bit of peace of mind to some members re the cat thefts.

I was in the Lexus dealership in Exeter yesterday and I raised the matter of the Toyota UK Press Release which says that "Toyota is offering the Smar****er marking free to all Lexus owners, who simply need to call their local Toyota or Lexus retailer to arrange a visit".  I was advised that My NX and my wife's Yaris Hybrid are both regarded as being "very low risk and therefore the covert marking is deemed as unnecessary"

Hope this helps some of you at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, stepheneric said:

Lexus Derby gave exact "word for word" response when I requested my 2013 Rx to be marked a couple of weeks ago

I'm not surprised by the response to Geoff for his NX but I am for your RX - Lexus commissioned and sell a Catloc for the series III RX now so there must be some perceived risk for them to have done that.

• 3 weeks later...

smart water is all very well and good, but it doesn't really help if the thing has been taken. Is this something that will be targetted in a few years time I wonder? It seems that it is constantly in the press these days about this issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 9:54 PM, Dylanlewis2000 said:

smart water is all very well and good, but it doesn't really help if the thing has been taken

The smart water kits come with window stickers to act as a deterrent which will hopefully avoid it being taken. If it is then it can be identified which hopefully means it becomes worthless which means the thieves will take more notice the next time.

4 hours ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

So what is the reason??

subria88 already answered that; older cats are worth more money.

14 hours ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

Thank you all. It's just so annoying that this cannot be stopped. Locally, five have been stolen within the last month or so.

What model cars are involved, do you know?

8 minutes ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

From the Lexus blog / website, they state that any car with a Cat is at risk. Specifically they mention the RX400h, RX450h and the CT200h. 

Sorry Dylan, I was particularly interested in the five that were stolen local to you. I can't imagine that they were all Lexii (if that's a word 😉) were any of them?

2 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Sorry Dylan, I was particularly interested in the five that were stolen local to you. I can't imagine that they were all Lexii (if that's a word 😉) were any of them?

Ahh makes sense. One was a van, one was a 4x4 type car (not sure which one as the photo only showed underneath the others were Volvo and Ford. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links