Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at a car 47000 ish miles last mot stated this. 

• Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement wishbone
  • are they prone to oil leaks? I have emailed the dealer has it has 6 months warranty. Car is 2009.

1 hour ago, madasahatter said:

Looking at a car 47000 ish miles last mot stated this. 

• Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement wishbone
  • are they prone to oil leaks? I have emailed the dealer has it has 6 months warranty. Car is 2009.

I'd want to know where the oil leak is from, some leaks are easy to deal with, some need major work (like my friends Mercedes at £3,000!) It seems almost every car I check has a suspension arm pin or bush mentioned as an advisory so not a big issue. I've found that unless it's a main dealer offering the warranty they're hardly worth the paper they're written on. I had one with my GS, all glossy and nice in the advertising but a non starter making a claim 

• Like 1

Yes just reading up on it now. Could be timing chain cover, often happens on recalls and dealers forgetting gasket. Circa £3000.00.

Or done from factory robot not putting enough sealant on. Just wondering if garage selling car will cover it, i have emailed them.

The more i read on this model the scarier they get. 

The same leak came up on last mot as well. When i mentioned it to dealer he said no mention of it. I found it easy enough on gov.com.

Also said full Lexus history but last two not done by Lexus. Something he did tell me to be fair, after going through paper work. Car is on autotrader

if any one wants to see. £8,500 silver.

2 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

The same leak came up on last mot as well. When i mentioned it to dealer he said no mention of it. I found it easy enough on gov.com.

Also said full Lexus history but last two not done by Lexus. Something he did tell me to be fair, after going through paper work. Car is on autotrader

Any link Keith ?

Very tricky decision to pay top dollar for a low miler.

Mine is exactly the same age and spec, but black, with 60k more miles.

Would I want to pay more than £3k to halve the miles? If yes then I would not expect engine to be leaking oil.

Suspect there is a deal to be done after some serious haggling.

Apologies if it is OT, but can somebody tell me if the GS450H MY2006-11 has a EV mode switch to drive only in electric mode for short distances? If yes where is the switch for the EV mode? I have read the manual but I could not find it.

Thank you

15 minutes ago, serbarry said:

Apologies if it is OT, but can somebody tell me if the GS450H MY2006-11 has a EV mode switch to drive only in electric mode for short distances? If yes where is the switch for the EV mode? I have read the manual but I could not find it.

Thank you

No Sergio, it does not have one, Switching is automatic via the Hybrid System.

It will generally cover less than 2 miles on Electric/Battery Power only.

Thank you John. Having that switch on my Prius (and I think it also exists in the CT200H) I thought there might be one also in the GS to be used inside garages to prevent ICE from kicking in.  

44 minutes ago, serbarry said:

Thank you John. Having that switch on my Prius (and I think it also exists in the CT200H) I thought there might be one also in the GS to be used inside garages to prevent ICE from kicking in.  

No, but there is a test mode to stop the engine turning off, can't remember it off hand but involved pressing the break and power button multiple times.
Its advised not to drive the car in that mode however.

• Like 1

And could you please tell me what is the button as shown in picture 9 of the below advert link, at the very top left corner of the control panel (next to AFS Off button)? It says "off" on it. Again it is not shown on page 15 of the manual. Thank you

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104281910001?postcode=rg248jt&sort=relevance&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&year-to=2011&advertising-location=at_cars&model=GS 450H&include-delivery-option=on&make=LEXUS&radius=1500&year-from=2008&page=3

On 5/16/2021 at 6:16 PM, madasahatter said:

It looks like prices are on the rise - its now £8995

Shocks do leak, but they're consumables anyway - might want to replace all four regardless.

Oil leaks - mine had apparently started fuming around the lower external banjo bolt for the VVT-I oil line (for bank 1 - i.e. right side)... that's my anecdotal evidence. Replaced crush washers and VVT-I filters while it was in for an oil change. Nothing in particular that is a mass defect on these comes to mind. No measurable oil consumption whatsoever, 330000km on the clock.

• Like 1