Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

DVLA clamping

Depends where you live , but this was the case for at least 2-3 years now. I even seen vans with portable notice board driving around saying something like "tax it or lose it". And by the way you don't even need to be driving it - as long as it is parked on public road (even if SORN) it should be taxes or it could be clamped. And then there are people who will say "there are no road tax in UK" 😄 

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/news/tax-it-or-lose-it-is-your-car-tax-up-to-date#:~:text=Tax it or lose it is the message from the,total enforcement actions taken)%3A

40 minutes ago, markeyszoo said:

Not seen this before. Is it a new thing?

4742B2EF-2052-4712-9593-918FA1E7719A.jpeg

What exactly have you not seen before Mike ... ?

A Transit parked on the pavement? A DVLA wheel clamp? Or a DVLA wheel clamp on a transit parked on the pavement?

Common as muck down South matey ...!  Transits, pavement parking, untaxed vehicles ... we've got the lot! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They actually said, they going to stop it during the covid, but maybe that was just first lock-down thing.

For the same reason they extended MOTs... perhaps they now thing it is over and they could go back into clamping cars.

30 minutes ago, Sundance said:

What exactly have you not seen before Mike ... ?

A Transit parked on the pavement? A DVLA wheel clamp? Or a DVLA wheel clamp on a transit parked on the pavement?

Common as muck down South matey ...!  Transits, pavement parking, untaxed vehicles ... we've got the lot! 😉

DVLA Clamp is a new one for me in this part of the country. We sometimes get roadside inspections, not often, but never seen a DVLA clamper about.

I love it!

Not sure that is good thing, especially considering circumstances i.e. person is out of work because he/she could not work due to covid, car sits untaxed, uninsured, without mot for over a year, because it is not driven... due to person being out of work and then ever so helpful goverment comes and clamps it! Thank you!

With roadside inspections I agree - untaxed car should not be driven on the road (I am not big fan of tax, but if everyone should pay it then they should as well), but clamping the car which is parked on the side of the road... seems like unnecessary and lazy approach to me.

• Like 1

Are we sure it is to do with tax? I ask because it could just as well be because it is parked with all four wheels on a pedestrian pathway, in itself illegal. I'd also say it is parked adjacent to zig zag lines normally before and after a pedestrian crossing therefore severely restricting an oncoming drivers view of the crossing and those about to access it.

Stealth approach mode given whoever fitted it didn’t want to be seen doing so. Obviously risk accessed that it would be safer crouching in a live traffic lane than rather than fitting it from the other side on the pavement!

Just wondering if there are any warning notices visible to the driver or if they didn’t notice the clamp before trying to drive off.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Stealth approach mode given whoever fitted it didn’t want to be seen doing so. Obviously risk accessed that it would be safer crouching in a live traffic lane than rather than fitting it from the other side on the pavement!

Just wondering if there are any warning notices visible to the driver or if they didn’t notice the clamp before trying to drive off.

It is possible to see in the picture, that there is notice on the windscreen.

3 hours ago, Brian R said:

Are we sure it is to do with tax? I ask because it could just as well be because it is parked with all four wheels on a pedestrian pathway, in itself illegal. I'd also say it is parked adjacent to zig zag lines normally before and after a pedestrian crossing therefore severely restricting an oncoming drivers view of the crossing and those about to access it.

It is. Look at the pavement it seems ones of those pavements made for parking, and if it would be zig-zag... then it should be towed, not clamped.

4 hours ago, Brian R said:

Are we sure it is to do with tax? I ask because it could just as well be because it is parked with all four wheels on a pedestrian pathway, in itself illegal.

DVLA wouldn't be involved in illegal parking.

• Like 1

It’s an untaxed vehicle on the public “highway” so it gets clamped, it’s not on a pavement designed for parking on as they do not provide that facility where there are zig-zag crossing markings, it may well be going to be towed away and the clamp is the first stage while the tow truck gets there, I don’t get the issue, is the driver cannot afford the tax or MoT it costs nothing to get it SORN’ed apart from find some private land, and if they can’t be bothered even to do that, then tow it, crush it.

• Like 2

Parking or even waiting on the zig zag lines at a crossing is 3 points and a fine not that I’ve ever heard of a conviction for doing so but see plenty doing it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

It’s an untaxed vehicle on the public “highway” so it gets clamped, it’s not on a pavement designed for parking on as they do not provide that facility where there are zig-zag crossing markings, it may well be going to be towed away and the clamp is the first stage while the tow truck gets there, I don’t get the issue, is the driver cannot afford the tax or MoT it costs nothing to get it SORN’ed apart from find some private land, and if they can’t be bothered even to do that, then tow it, crush it.

As you said SORN car still has to be on private land... and you saying it as if there is just private land everywhere to park on freely. I don't see issue either if the car is driving without the tax and get's stopped and driver finned, but I have an issue with parked car being fined.

Whenever that pavement is suitable for parking or not... we could only figure out if OP could provide the location. I do agree there shouldn't be parking where is zig-zag, but I have seen it being the case on smaller residential roads. 

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

but I have an issue with parked car being fined.

Why?

I don’t get that bit, if the law has been broken it really doesn’t matter if the car is moving or parked, it’s been caught breaking the law.

9 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Whenever that pavement is suitable for parking or not... we could only figure out if OP could provide the location. I do agree there shouldn't be parking where is zig-zag, but I have seen it being the case on smaller residential roads. 

@Boxbrownie no... sorry, you are actually correct - https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1621074938468!6m8!1m7!1s0s4yXyEE66ZImaaejBbk7Q!2m2!1d53.64434197889374!2d-2.636786849176834!3f307.91662572492623!4f-3.4911227053875677!5f0.7820865974627469

It is indeed next to the pedestrian crossing and parked illegally. Cannot find any excuse why the car could be parked there. Strange it has not been tower right away, because it could be argued it endangered public, by the way it was parked.

@markeyszoo - you should consider stripping meta-data from picture next time 😁

1 minute ago, Boxbrownie said:

Why?

I don’t get that bit, if the law has been broken it really doesn’t matter if the car is moving or parked, it’s been caught breaking the law.

In this case that is moot point, considering that we both agree now that car was parked dangerously anyway.

Why... because people simply don't have an option to park on the private land (you said it like it is "simple"). And assuming the circumstance are as I described previously, there is literally nothing they could do. Is it correct by the law - yes? Is it fair or good for the society - no!

Originally SORN had to be renewed yearly but now applies continuously unless you scrap or sell the vehicle.

I got caught out by the system when having received no reminder I got a fine of £80.00 for not renewing it.

The car was on private land and being broken for spares so no engine in it even.

I argued with the DVLA and even sent photographs showing the location of the car and the vacant engine bay to no avail, all I could do is pay the reduced rate of £40.00 in time.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, steve2006 said:

Originally SORN had to be renewed yearly but now applies continuously unless you scrap or sell the vehicle.

I got caught out by the system when having received no reminder I got a fine of £80.00 for not renewing it.

The car was on private land and being broken for spares so no engine in it even.

I argued with the DVLA and even sent photographs showing the location of the car and the vacant engine bay to no avail, all I could do is pay the reduced rate of £40.00 in time.

But if car is on private land... then how can they fine you? Clearly they have no jurisdiction on private land? I guess simple solution - remove the number plates from the parts car 😁

In that case maybe we should stop fining/arresting people for all sorts of illegal activities because they cannot afford it or just cannot be bothered to follow the law .

I would wager that the reason the van is parked there and has no tax is because the driver just couldn’t be arsed to park further away (too lazy) and thought he would get away without taxing (and probably insuring) the vehicle, like too many people do.

I am stopping there with this thread as obviously you have a completely different view on breaking the law as I have.

Have a great weekend and keep safe folks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I have an issue with parked car being fined.

I have to take issue with this Linas. If you are saying that all uninsured, untaxed cars should be allowed to be parked on the public highway for free, then what might follow would be parking chaos. You may be lucky to have your own drive but imagine having to street park where lots of spaces are permanently taken up with "abandoned" cars. I am just thinking it through to its logical conclusion.

10 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

But if car is on private land... then how can they fine you? Clearly they have no jurisdiction on private land? I guess simple solution - remove the number plates from the parts car 😁

Taking the number plate off the car would make no difference Linas. The car would be registered in Steve's name - if it was not on SORN then it is presumed it is being used on the road, so it should be taxed.

Whatever... I already said it is moot point, because it turned out that car was parked dangerously, not merely without tax.

3 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

"abandoned" cars.

There are separate definition of abandoned car, and they can be reported and towed. 

wonder how the SORN and road tax issues work with cars for sale on a garage forecourt these days :unsure:

I remember garage for sale cars being driven on Trade Plates were ok with no tax nor MOT in olden times

BUT that van parked on a public footway, inhibiting passage of wheelchairs too ........ is always going to be illegal even if in throes of unloading etc which it clearly isn't and I would think some sense and leeway for very short term parking thereupon would be reasonably allowed by the Clamper

However ......Possibly illegally parked, uninsured, untaxed and no MOT ..........  and there's a yellow Notice on the screen in front of the driver's area

Next step is carting away and then crushing 😵

Malc

1 minute ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Taking the number plate off the car would make no difference Linas. The car would be registered in Steve's name - if it was not on SORN then it is presumed it is being used on the road, so it should be taxed.

Here I am afraid you are wrong, Steve said it was on private land. Number plates, tax, insurance, roadworthiness etc. are concepts which only exists on the public road.