Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car sluggish after Cambelt and water pump change (RX400h)

Hi everyone

I got my cambelt and water pump changed for RX400H at well known independent garage Japex in Hertfordshire.

After picking up my vehicle I've noticed straightaway my car feels sluggish and doesn't pull away as fast as it should do.

Also on motorways when i try to overtake, when i fully press down the gas pedal it takes like half second delay before it pulls aways.

Ive taken the car back to them and they checked and said everything is fine.

Has anybody experienced such issues after a cambelt change or any advice please,?

Also my steering feels a bit stiff since the cambelt change.

Thanks

When I had the cam belt changed on an RX300 (which has a very similar engine) it wasn't right and it also lit the check engine light with a VVT error - the belt was one tooth misaligned which the garage had to correct. Depending on which direction it is out I'm not sure you would always get a CEL.

If it isn't too bad then maybe the Battery was disconnected which resets the ECU - give it a few days to see if it returns to its normal self.

You say you took it back and they checked it - did they really check it; it isn't a 2 minute job to check the timing marks as the covers need to be removed.

• Like 3

Thanks, yeah i took it back and left the car with them for a day. Although i dont have any errors / messages on dashboard, i think they might have incorrectly installed the new belt.

Might have to take it back again and get them to redo the whole cambelt again.

They also worked on my brakes lubricating all moving parts, hope they have not messed up anything there, because brakes work fine but maybe something is sticking to brakes?

Edit:

Yes the 12v Battery was also disconnected. They have reset the whole system hoping it would fix the cause by self learning. Had the car back only for 3 days now, so lets see how it goes. Got my car booked with them again in a weeks time if nothing changes

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on this? 

I seem to have half a second delay once the pedal is floored before the acceleration kicks in - not sure if it is an issue on my car or is the car is like that?

2 hours ago, Mingj said:

half a second delay

that's very precise ....  could it be your personal reactivity timings rather than the car ?

going searching for a 50% of a 1 second delay seems challenging :unsure:

Malc

• Like 1

I suspect one tooth out upsetting valve timing if it is as noticeable as you say.  If it was so bad as to cause damage to valves/pistons you would be aware so could be a learning curve for it.  If not back to previous performance after another couple of days, I would take it back to whoever did the work and tell them if they can't sort it you will take it to Lexus and expect the non Lexus dealer to pay for rectification.

On 5/15/2021 at 1:05 PM, shahed26 said:

Edit:

Yes the 12v battery was also disconnected. They have reset the whole system hoping it would fix the cause by self learning. Had the car back only for 3 days now, so lets see how it goes. Got my car booked with them again in a weeks time if nothing changes

All OK now?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 5/15/2021 at 9:46 AM, shahed26 said:

Hi everyone

I got my cambelt and water pump changed for RX400H at well known independent garage Japex in Hertfordshire.

After picking up my vehicle I've noticed straightaway my car feels sluggish and doesn't pull away as fast as it should do.

Also on motorways when i try to overtake, when i fully press down the gas pedal it takes like half second delay before it pulls aways.

Ive taken the car back to them and they checked and said everything is fine.

Has anybody experienced such issues after a cambelt change or any advice please,?

Also my steering feels a bit stiff since the cambelt change.

Thanks

All fixed now I assume? Be great to get an update.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links