Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In HJ today.

I read about Trevor Jackson’s brilliant invention of an aluminium-based Battery that will on one charge enable a car to travel 1,500 miles. But he is deliberately being sidelined by major manufacturers as they would lose out. It seems bloody-minded that they would do this as it will be a world beater and give the UK a world lead in this field. Have you heard about this and what if anything can be done to get him recognised and promoted by our government? PH

Readers can find out more about Trevor Jackson’s Al-air EV Battery by reading this article. As the author says, “A long-range, lightweight, cost-efficient, recyclable and ethically sourced Battery is, arguably, the Holy Grail of the EV market.”

15 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I read about Trevor Jackson’s brilliant invention of an aluminium-based battery that will on one charge enable a car to travel 1,500 miles. But he is deliberately being sidelined by major manufacturers as they would lose out. It seems bloody-minded that they would do this as it will be a world beater and give the UK a world lead in this field. Have you heard about this and what if anything can be done to get him recognised and promoted by our government? PH

Readers can find out more about Trevor Jackson’s Al-air EV battery by reading this article. As the author says, “A long-range, lightweight, cost-efficient, recyclable and ethically sourced battery is, arguably, the Holy Grail of the EV market.”

Fascinating article John, I note that one significant drawback is a redesign of the entire manufacturing process and that sounds like a biggy to me 

Interesting article. I do not have the knowledge to judge this so maybe someone can help out . Google and Wiki tell me the technique has been in development in various countries for at least 2 decades. If the automotive world has not taken it on board there will be a reason for it i guess. Sounds too good to be true?

1 minute ago, Phil xxkr said:

Fascinating article John, I note that one significant drawback is a redesign of the entire manufacturing process and that sounds like a biggy to me 

Not sure about that. If it would be realistic for a manufacturer to launch a vehicle with a 1500 mile range and half the weight it would be, as the article says, the holy grail. Pooring some billions into this will be a no brainer. The fact that has not happened yet tells me there are some big drawbacks somewhere.

When I read the article I was reminded how in its early years oil producers sat on patents and so prevented investment in Solar and Battery power leading to the rise of the internal combustion engine.

Mr Musk would not approve of the development of the Al-air EV Battery would he ?

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

When I read the article I was reminded how in its early years oil producers sat on patents and so prevented investment in Solar and Battery power leading to the rise of the internal combustion engine.

Mr Musk would not approve of the development of the Al-air EV Battery would he ?

Ho probably would not. But remember: If something sounds too good to be true. It just might be that.

• Like 1

Having read the article, I find a few things speaking in favour of fuel cells. As long as oil companies are such a dominating power research in fuel cells are limited, and it is really a shame that lobbyists are able to bribe politicians to let oil money rule.

Lithium is definitely a limited resource and not a solution for storing energy in large quantities. OK for life raft communication and phones and other little consuming items, but not for cars. Simply not lithium enough and sooner or later it will be too expensive to produce.

23 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Having read the article, I find a few things speaking in favour of fuel cells. As long as oil companies are such a dominating power research in fuel cells are limited, and it is really a shame that lobbyists are able to bribe politicians to let oil money rule.

Lithium is definitely a limited resource and not a solution for storing energy in large quantities. OK for life raft communication and phones and other little consuming items, but not for cars. Simply not lithium enough and sooner or later it will be too expensive to produce.

So, the Al-air could be a useful option John unless powerful forces prevent it ?

So, the Al-air could be a useful option John unless powerful forces prevent it ?

I heard about this a while ago from a friend who keeps up with the latest technologies.

The main point then was that the batteries would be so much cheaper to produce.

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Powerful forces / easily bribed or stupidly mislead politicians can hinder many things. Still it seems that the Al-air is not a finished product yet.

1 minute ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I heard about this a while ago from a friend who keeps up with the latest technologies.

The main point then was that the batteries would be so much cheaper to produce.

I would say the main point is that if actually getting finished and functioning would be possible to produce as lithium is not something that can be made in large enough quantity.

Just now, Las Palmas said:

Powerful forces / easily bribed or stupidly mislead politicians can hinder many things. Still it seems that the Al-air is not a finished product yet.

So true John.

Nuclear fusion is not yet a finished product either, but investment is taking place on a Grand scale.

It would be interesting to find out what is holding this particular development beck.

So true John.

Nuclear fusion is not yet a finished product either, but investment is taking place on a Grand scale.

It would be interesting to find out what is holding this particular development beck.

Those who know will not tell you or me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

The technology is proven. The difficulty with Al - air batteries, they are like ordinary batteries you put in a torch. Once they are depleted they need to be changed. You can't charge them up. You need the infrastructure (through investment) to be able to swap these batteries. They are re-cyclable but not rechargeable! 

Car makers would have to fully come on board to make them a viable alternative to Lithium based batteries. Betamax / VHS situation!