Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi and Help 😀

56 minutes ago, BillNick said:

If you want the fun and excitement close to the German's and budget is no issue, I would go for the RC-F Track Edition. Check it out...

I love my RC-F, but I have been with Lexus for 14 years (3rd car) and I enjoy the mix of luxury with v8.

I am told by M4 and AMG owners that my RC-F feels and drives with much more luxury, but the Germans will always beat you on track.

The only problem I have found with the Track Edition (whoever came up with that name should be sacked) is that it looks like a 'Whoopie car" with that spoiler.

I've always thought that for the extra money it costs you could buy a decent late RCF and have enough money left to buy yourself a proper little track day car like I had with the VX220 Turbo or a Caterham. Plus you can get insurance for it to do a dozen or so track days,  and if you drive beyond your talent you're not binning an expensive car, just my take on things of course.

I have also found that it's more a case of pub bragging rights about what this and that car can do on track as I have rarely found any of them on a track day, again it could be just me not going to every track event.

One person who tested the RCF Chris Harris summed it up beautifully, the RCF is not a track day car it's too heavy, but when you take it out on the road it has an appeal that grows on you and I absolutely agree with that point.

I'm a serial car changer and have never kept a car more than a year, although my AMG was kept for 14 months but I've had my RCF for coming up for 2 and a half years now.

Pebisit I think you have hit the nail on the head there, although the demise of the V8 is inevitable the engine in the RCF is a peach. If it doesn't have enough power you can always do what the Americans have done with the RCF and that is Supercharge it and get about 650 BHP.

• Like 1

Yes you can gather basic features in normal RC, but don't forget that seats are quite significantly different in RC-F, as well normal RC have fake rather cheap looking and feeling details in interior, whereas on RC-F it is carbon fibre. So RC-F interior is actually better quality (but nowhere near LC). RC-F as well gets more standard equipment and some equipment unique to RC-F (like rear electric spoiler). 

I think getting NEW RC-F is already too late, they have been discontinued last year. And whatever "new" cars you can find will be "new old stock", so when it comes to particular specification - I think that is sad news, you won't be able to order to your taste.

LC on other hand is still made, but new ones would require little higher budget. 

Finally, regarding sunroof - same for me, it has always been hard requirement in any cars I had. My RC had sunroof and indeed it made cabin brighter and it felt roomier, but it robs quite a lot of head headroom, quite surprising actually, considering sunroof on RC open outwards. Not necessary a thing to worry about but certainly something to consider if you are taller. LC on other hand only has glass roof and only in non-Sport/Sport+ variant. Obviously that still fulfils the purpose of more light in the cabin and it does not rob headroom, but you can't open it and further there are certain things which I would like to have in LC which are only available in Sport/Sport+ (like LSD). Not sure why Lexus decided that users have to chose either car with LSD or sunroof and not both, but that is what it is.

As well I agree with David above, Carbon and especially Track Edition are too little to late... and both are little pointless to be fair. They not lighter than normal RC-F and they not faster, just lock you into having carbon parts and not as good equipment inside. Track Edition does have launch control, which makes it 3.94s car instead of 4.2s car, but that only matter on some sort of benchmark and in reality makes no difference. In the end both are just worse versions of normal RC-F in my opinion - they do improve RC-F where it does not matter ant is bad anyway and compromise it on what is stronger side i.e. being nice car on the road with capabilities of putting smile on your face. 

I really couldn’t put up with a Carlos fandango (remember that 😂😂😂) carbon bonnet or humongous spoiler, it’s my daily after all. I have a few other cars for weekends and that sort of spec would look a bit OTT to my customers, I think 😂😂😂 I also like the idea of an NA engine I can work with keeping it in the power band (sorry, old 2 stroke speak) the RS is unbelievably quick on a B road, I would argue quicker than pretty much anything but it’s the car doing the work, endless grip and endless torque, you just point it the right way, brutally effective but no input required. The modern cars with crazy torque figures just don’t need you to work with the car, they just pull you along. From what I’ve read, the RC F needs you to keep it in the right Rev range and work with the car, awesome 👏👏👏 
as far as I’m aware the RC F is still available to order, still appears on the Lexus site as an orderable car which you can configure, it’s the rest of the RC range that’s been discontinued. I also did a carwow enquiry and got back 5 different offers, no one said anything about not being available 

just hoping it’s as good as it looks, fingers crossed 

Different Lexus dealers tells different stories, some say it is possible to order, some that it isn't.

Perhaps if you really planning to pay every single £ for a new car and all the extras they will order one (although some refuse it outright), but I am sure first they going to try selling you something from existing stock in their group at considerable discount (that is likely what you get from Carwow). In either case RC-F is EOL model, so perhaps there is pressure from Lexus HQ not to put new custom orders and try to realise existing inventory first (but there is no huge inventory to be honest).

7 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Different Lexus dealers tells different stories, some say it is possible to order, some that it isn't.

Perhaps if you really planning to pay every single £ for a new car and all the extras they will order one (although some refuse it outright), but I am sure first they going to try selling you something from existing stock in their group at considerable discount (that is likely what you get from Carwow). In either case RC-F is EOL model, so perhaps there is pressure from Lexus HQ not to put new custom orders and try to realise existing inventory first (but there is no huge inventory to be honest).

thanks, I’ll see what they say Thursday, fingers crossed I can get the car I want 

19 minutes ago, Pebisit said:

I really couldn’t put up with a Carlos fandango (remember that 😂😂😂) carbon bonnet or humongous spoiler, it’s my daily after all. I have a few other cars for weekends and that sort of spec would look a bit OTT to my customers, I think 😂😂😂 I also like the idea of an NA engine I can work with keeping it in the power band (sorry, old 2 stroke speak) the RS is unbelievably quick on a B road, I would argue quicker than pretty much anything but it’s the car doing the work, endless grip and endless torque, you just point it the right way, brutally effective but no input required. The modern cars with crazy torque figures just don’t need you to work with the car, they just pull you along. From what I’ve read, the RC F needs you to keep it in the right Rev range and work with the car, awesome 👏👏👏 
as far as I’m aware the RC F is still available to order, still appears on the Lexus site as an orderable car which you can configure, it’s the rest of the RC range that’s been discontinued. I also did a carwow enquiry and got back 5 different offers, no one said anything about not being available 

just hoping it’s as good as it looks, fingers crossed 

I aspired to reach Carlos Fandango heights with my Ford Anglia which was my first hotted up car (I digress but it had 1650 engine and lightweight flywheel and Koni's) Looks like you have the right idea because dealing with Lexus dealers for me trying to get a discount was like getting blood out of a stone. Even paying cash all I got was a few hundred pounds off and a bloody Lexus insulated cup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, B1RMA said:

I aspired to reach Carlos Fandango heights with my Ford Anglia which was my first hotted up car (I digress but it had 1650 engine and lightweight flywheel and Koni's) Looks like you have the right idea because dealing with Lexus dealers for me trying to get a discount was like getting blood out of a stone. Even paying cash all I got was a few hundred pounds off and a bloody Lexus insulated cup.

😂😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Pebisit said:

😂😂😂😂😂

If any advice your taking id listen to @B1 RMA, Dave has a massive history of fast cars, personally I’d avoid the LC although a lovely car it’s warranty cost says it all, I’ve a Japanese friend who has a GSF and was extremely disappointed with the LC500 (loan car).....can’t speak from a personal level BUT both guys I’d take on board their views......RCF is a fantastic car, good luck with journey 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry and again sorry.

In my eyes Lexus make fantastic looking, comfortable and reliable luxury play toys.

But no track cars.

I am not you, but maybe you could be happy with one of the best from Lexus for luxury and comfort etc. and have a real track car for personal fun.

Below a few of what I would call track cars:

image.thumb.png.ac79ce61a167cec483b3cf1d82b5bb9d.png

image.thumb.png.18fe6003ab59d7bba1eea91fc6d71c49.png

image.thumb.png.f805816b18b7fd14548c47614cead1f4.png

It is possible to get a hybrid, but have never had such a one on track:

image.thumb.png.bfcf30f6bc6e52edb8e3cb5bd7e028e4.png

9 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Sorry and again sorry.

In my eyes Lexus make fantastic looking, comfortable and reliable luxury play toys.

But no track cars.

I am not you, but maybe you could be happy with one of the best from Lexus for luxury and comfort etc. and have a real track car for personal fun.

Below a few of what I would call track cars:

image.thumb.png.ac79ce61a167cec483b3cf1d82b5bb9d.png

image.thumb.png.18fe6003ab59d7bba1eea91fc6d71c49.png

image.thumb.png.f805816b18b7fd14548c47614cead1f4.png

It is possible to get a hybrid, but have never had such a one on track:

image.thumb.png.bfcf30f6bc6e52edb8e3cb5bd7e028e4.png

John, have you ever driven one of the new NSX's...?

1 hour ago, Kevin Williams said:

John, have you ever driven one of the new NSX's...?

No. An old one. Funny car. Not comfortable and not mine.

Luxury cars are too heavy to be fun on twisted roads. Elise and Sport Spyder + several other cars built like go-karts are for such fun. The old Lotus 7 is maybe possible still to get in UK. Even the Smart Roadster was made with a V6 once.

Mid-engine like Porsche 914. Engine in front does not make a car easy to handle no matter if rear wheel drive.

image.thumb.png.22cc1deb6a3ec45d7f11513a51b99063.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Womble72 said:

, personally I’d avoid the LC although a lovely car it’s warranty cost says it all,

LC warranties are scary....and have a read of the threads on the LC part of this forum. It seems they have a lot more quality and reliability issues than the F cars.

Or it could be most owners on there seem to have bought new, whilst most on here have bought slightly older cars with the teething troubles resolved?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

LC warranties are scary....and have a read of the threads on the LC part of this forum. It seems they have a lot more quality and reliability issues than the F cars.

Or it could be most owners on there seem to have bought new, whilst most on here have bought slightly older cars with the teething troubles resolved?

Can only go on my Japanese mates comments, he had ISF n has GSF, had an LC500 whilst his was in for a service, he didn’t rate it, said it was to soft n reckons the fuel was atrocious compared to his GSF......he said reliability was an issue as the F cars were a long time in the making/research compared to the LC 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think I need to clarify my comment about build quality... 

What I mean was, from the perspective of the driver when you get in LC the materials and "build" quality is outstanding, nothing creaks, there are no funny noises, everything feels as solid as the object not made from pure stone could feel. Things like doors are very solid, actually quite heavy, but they close so smooth... and they are not soft close, but it feels like you closing the doors of the vault. And every little detail feels pleasant to touch, even thing like buttons on dash, on the wheel and even indicator and wiper stalk are metal and you won't find them in another car (not sure maybe LS has the same, but certainly no other model). As I said - I can't quite think about another car which is sorted out to such a detail.

Compare that to say RC-F - it gets same basic stuff you get in RC or even IS... moulded plastic stalks (with stupid indicators stalk), buttons, switches... sure I am being pedantic and I can can say how you can feel seems on the indicator stalk when you press it... but the point is - RC-F is based on mass produced RC with great V8 engine and some adjustments which makes it better car, but it is still mass produced. Whereas LC feels like car which was hand built with amazing attention to the detail.

Now... what I can't say is that I know if they are long term reliable cars. I had one for weekend and done just under 1000 miles, so obviously I could not know that and they may be less reliable than RC-F or GS-F... Still they would be on another league from say BMW 8-Series.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I think I need to clarify my comment about build quality... 

What I mean was, from the perspective of the driver when you get in LC the materials and "build" quality is outstanding, nothing creaks, there are no funny noises, everything feels as solid as the object not made from pure stone could feel. Things like doors are very solid, actually quite heavy, but they close so smooth... and they are not soft close, but it feels like you closing the doors of the vault. And every little detail feels pleasant to touch, even thing like buttons on dash, on the wheel and even indicator and wiper stalk are metal and you won't find them in another car (not sure maybe LS has the same, but certainly no other model). As I said - I can't quite think about another car which is sorted out to such a detail.

Compare that to say RC-F - it gets same basic stuff you get in RC or even IS... moulded plastic stalks (with stupid indicators stalk), buttons, switches... sure I am being pedantic and I can can say how you can feel seems on the indicator stalk when you press it... but the point is - RC-F is based on mass produced RC with great V8 engine and some adjustments which makes it better car, but it is still mass produced. Whereas LC feels like car which was hand built with amazing attention to the detail.

Now... what I can't say is that I know if they are long term reliable cars. I had one for weekend and done just under 1000 miles, so obviously I could not know that and they may be less reliable than RC-F or GS-F... Still they would be on another league from say BMW 8-Series.  

I agree with your salient points Linas. I have also had a BMW 850i, and agree with your last sentence...

850i.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Williams said:

I agree with your salient points Linas. I have also had a BMW 850i, and agree with your last sentence...

850i.jpg

No, I haven't got 1KSW on two cars. The one in the garage is a BMW M2 Competition that I traded... 

I am a little confused about the RC F not being available to order.  Mine is very much "on order" and is on its way to the UK, as I "write".

I too am very keen on having a sun roof.  This was one of the factors that caused me to order a Porsche 911 last September (instead of a Cayman S).  I cancelled my order 3 months later, having got fed up/annoyed about the EU's treatment of the UK at that time.  Events that have occurred since then have further convinced me of the wisdom of doing this.

Instead, I ordered a Mazda MX-5 RF and a Lexus RC F.  Literally, two for the price of one!

As has already been indicated by other members, and commented upon by the OP, new naturally aspirated V8s are not long for this world.  In fact, Toyota has recently patented a 4 litre V8 (not sure if this is to be turbo-charged or super-charged but it will be one or the other), which seems destined to replace the 5 litre naturally aspirated power plant.

I had not really appreciated the rarity of the RC F until a little while after I had ordered it but I am sure that my neighbours will be making lots of positive comments, if their reaction to the MX-5 RF is anything to go by (still relatively uncommon).  There are lots of BMWs and Audis around but few Lexus cars and even fewer RC Fs.

The dealership seems particularly excited about this car; they tell me that whenever they get one in for servicing, they all gather round to admire it - and listen to the V8, of course!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, X100 said:

and listen to the V8, of course!

if it was a Ls400 V8 they wouldn't know it was even running :wink3:

you can certainly creep  up on pedestrians and give them a shock when they turn around and see a car munching at their heels

Malc

38 minutes ago, X100 said:

I am a little confused about the RC F not being available to order.  Mine is very much "on order" and is on its way to the UK, as I "write".

I too am very keen on having a sun roof.  This was one of the factors that caused me to order a Porsche 911 last September (instead of a Cayman S).  I cancelled my order 3 months later, having got fed up/annoyed about the EU's treatment of the UK at that time.  Events that have occurred since then have further convinced me of the wisdom of doing this.

Instead, I ordered a Mazda MX-5 RF and a Lexus RC F.  Literally, two for the price of one!

As has already been indicated by other members, and commented upon by the OP, new naturally aspirated V8s are not long for this world.  In fact, Toyota has recently patented a 4 litre V8 (not sure if this is to be turbo-charged or super-charged but it will be one or the other), which seems destined to replace the 5 litre naturally aspirated power plant.

I had not really appreciated the rarity of the RC F until a little while after I had ordered it but I am sure that my neighbours will be making lots of positive comments, if their reaction to the MX-5 RF is anything to go by (still relatively uncommon).  There are lots of BMWs and Audis around but few Lexus cars and even fewer RC Fs.

The dealership seems particularly excited about this car; they tell me that whenever they get one in for servicing, they all gather round to admire it - and listen to the V8, of course!

Excellent, do you have any plans for an aftermarket exhaust?

2 hours ago, X100 said:

Yes, it appears you can still configure a new RCF on the Lexus website, well I guess that's what you did !   

2 hours ago, X100 said:

I cancelled my order 3 months later, having got fed up/annoyed about the EU's treatment of the UK at that time.  Events that have occurred since then have further convinced me of the wisdom of doing this.

Good move, don't blame you. 

Hi David,

I did go for a stainless sports exhaust on the MX-5 but I quite like the idea of the RC F being something of a "wolf in sheep's clothing" ... or is that a "wolf in wolf's clothing"???  I think my neighbours might prefer the stock exhaust too!

All the You Tube videos suggest that it sounds great inside, which is good enough for me.

35 minutes ago, X100 said:

Hi David,

I did go for a stainless sports exhaust on the MX-5 but I quite like the idea of the RC F being something of a "wolf in sheep's clothing" ... or is that a "wolf in wolf's clothing"???  I think my neighbours might prefer the stock exhaust too!

All the You Tube videos suggest that it sounds great inside, which is good enough for me.

If I could suggest a GT Haus or Armytrix exhaust for the RCf with the switchable facility a few owners on here have them and I should have really bought one. But at the time I was offered a Quicksilver at a really, really low price and I just couldn't turn it down. 

If I were to do it again I'd buy a switchable exhaust, don't get me wrong the Quicksilver does bark on start-up and I don't have any really close neighbours and by the time I get up most are at work anyway.

But the switchable has another advantage, when you are cruising along the motorway at the legal limit with the Quicksilver you can adjust your foot on the throttle to make it a quiet bubble which still sounds nice, with the switchable you can just carry on without the faff of throttle positioning.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion, David.

Unfortunately, my wife prefers to cruise down the motorway as if she was in a "normal" Lexus, so that we can enjoy the uprated sound system.  Being something of a hi-fi enthusiast myself, I am inclined to agree with her.

Of course, A and B road trips are another matter ... !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links