Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi and Help 😀

On 5/15/2021 at 7:07 PM, B1RMA said:

To me as opposed to sheep munching the bark/roar of an RCF with either a Quicksilver or GT Haus exhaust is what I consider the sound of a V8, most AMG V8's seem to sound about right straight out of the factory, even with the addition of turbo's the V8 AMG engine sounds guttural which may not appeal to all I guess. The RCF just doesn't sound very good with it's standard exhaust in my opinion.

Ohhh 😮 no mention of the Armytrix system….. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, X100 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, David.

Unfortunately, my wife prefers to cruise down the motorway as if she was in a "normal" Lexus, so that we can enjoy the uprated sound system.  Being something of a hi-fi enthusiast myself, I am inclined to agree with her.

Of course, A and B road trips are another matter ... !

Fair enough, I'm a hifi fanatic too and have a nice system at home. You're right specifying the Mark Levinson as an extra, I'm currently using amazon HD music streaming and in the Lexus it really does sound good, in fact short of the Burmeister system in AMG's it's really up there with the best. I did look into upgrading but the guy I go to said short of a mega expensive Focal upgrade it wasn't worth it.

3 hours ago, mr2lad said:

Ohhh 😮 no mention of the Armytrix system….. 

I had forgotten about the Armytrix but did mention it later.

16 hours ago, X100 said:

I am a little confused about the RC F not being available to order.  Mine is very much "on order" and is on its way to the UK, as I "write".

I too am very keen on having a sun roof.  This was one of the factors that caused me to order a Porsche 911 last September (instead of a Cayman S).  I cancelled my order 3 months later, having got fed up/annoyed about the EU's treatment of the UK at that time.  Events that have occurred since then have further convinced me of the wisdom of doing this.

Instead, I ordered a Mazda MX-5 RF and a Lexus RC F.  Literally, two for the price of one!

As has already been indicated by other members, and commented upon by the OP, new naturally aspirated V8s are not long for this world.  In fact, Toyota has recently patented a 4 litre V8 (not sure if this is to be turbo-charged or super-charged but it will be one or the other), which seems destined to replace the 5 litre naturally aspirated power plant.

I had not really appreciated the rarity of the RC F until a little while after I had ordered it but I am sure that my neighbours will be making lots of positive comments, if their reaction to the MX-5 RF is anything to go by (still relatively uncommon).  There are lots of BMWs and Audis around but few Lexus cars and even fewer RC Fs.

The dealership seems particularly excited about this car; they tell me that whenever they get one in for servicing, they all gather round to admire it - and listen to the V8, of course!

Excellent news, that confirms what I thought to be the case

off to the Lexus dealer later, the spec I’ve got in mind is assuming I like the car is:

Standard model

Azure blue

Black and white accents

white carbon inlay

Mark levinson and card key (I’m assuming this means comfort access, bit worried about the security of this but want the better stereo)

blind spot monitor (not 100% on the usefulness of this)

sunroof

really want the BBS forged alloys that are on the track edition but I don’t think you can have them on the standard. I actually prefer the standard wheels to the polished ones if I can’t have the BBS

• Like 2

4 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Fair enough, I'm a hifi fanatic too and have a nice system at home. You're right specifying the Mark Levinson as an extra, I'm currently using Amazon HD music streaming and in the Lexus it really does sound good, in fact short of the Burmeister system in AMG's it's really up there with the best. I did look into upgrading but the guy I go to said short of a mega expensive Focal upgrade it wasn't worth it.

I subscribe to Qobuz, although I play offline material (that I have downloaded) from it, in the cars.  I am not sure if I can actually play broadcast music from Qobuz in the car, but not really a problem, with so much else available.  I can play Calm Radio though.

4 hours ago, Pebisit said:

Excellent news, that confirms what I thought to be the case

off to the Lexus dealer later, the spec I’ve got in mind is assuming I like the car is:

Standard model

Azure blue

Black and white accents

white carbon inlay

Mark levinson and card key (I’m assuming this means comfort access, bit worried about the security of this but want the better stereo)

blind spot monitor (not 100% on the usefulness of this)

sunroof

really want the BBS forged alloys that are on the track edition but I don’t think you can have them on the standard. I actually prefer the standard wheels to the polished ones if I can’t have the BBS

Congratulations Phil!

An excellent choice!

Sorry David,

I should have clarified that this is Qobuz's HD service.  Calm Radio is also a high quality service, but not the same level of Qobuz, I believe.

1 hour ago, X100 said:

Sorry David,

I should have clarified that this is Qobuz's HD service.  Calm Radio is also a high quality service, but not the same level of Qobuz, I believe.

I guessed it must have been the HD service

7 hours ago, Pebisit said:

Mark levinson

Superb audio quality

card key

Literally couldn't be without this, slips into card slot in my wallet which is always on me anyway, beats jamming a key in my pocket. Have forgot to have it on my person and tried to open the car behind the house 😛

blind spot monitor

also couldnt be without as journey to and from work involves dual carriageway with rush hour dopes, but sometimes feel it makes me lazy to not 'double check' before making a lane move at non peak times.

BBS forged alloys that are on the track edition

there is a 'track pack' which you can put on the standard car which would include these wheels and then their is the 'track edition' which is all the *coughs* 'weight saving' bits and unique paint options and the carbon fixed wing - probs some other differences but i cba to look it up 😛

6 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Superb audio quality

Literally couldn't be without this, slips into card slot in my wallet which is always on me anyway, beats jamming a key in my pocket. Have forgot to have it on my person and tried to open the car behind the house 😛

also couldnt be without as journey to and from work involves dual carriageway with rush hour dopes, but sometimes feel it makes me lazy to not 'double check' before making a lane move at non peak times.

Thank you,

went to M K Lexus today and have to say I was very impressed, I made it clear what I wanted and it was all straight forward with no silly sales techniques, even offered me what I wanted for the RS.

they had an LC 500 and an RC 300H out and ready for me to look at and drive (there’s next to no RC F’s around). Was impressed with both cars and have to say that the idea of an RC with the 5.0 NA lump seemed perfect. Liked the LC but it’s not the right car for me

I’ve got an eye op next week, immediately afterwards I’ll be putting my order in. Part of that order involves the dealership hiring me an RC F to try out as well just to make sure I’m happy.

can’t say enough good things about them, and I’ve got a feeling I’m going to very much enjoy my Lexus experience 

thanks for everyone’s help 👏👏👏

• Like 6

Must also add having read a lot of reviews online from so called experts, the 5.0 drivetrain is nothing like what I’ve read. Albeit, I’ve only used it in the LC, not the RC, but the only differentials to my knowledge are 10 speeds rather than 8.

people bemoan lack of torque, I experienced no issues in any setting, people bemoan change up and down speeds and I had no issues, one of my other cars is a PDK equipped Porsche which are generally held up as one of the best on the market, and I saw no perceptible differences in change speeds

maybe it’s me, but I do wonder sometimes whether car reviewers let their marque bias get in the way of their reviews. Have to add however, that Evo’s and Jalopnik’s reviews seem far more aligned with my experience. Again, I’ve only used the power train in the LC, but I can’t imagine too many differentials between the 2 fitments

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pebisit said:

Must also add having read a lot of reviews online from so called experts, the 5.0 drivetrain is nothing like what I’ve read. Albeit, I’ve only used it in the LC, not the RC, but the only differentials to my knowledge are 10 speeds rather than 8.

people bemoan lack of torque, I experienced no issues in any setting, people bemoan change up and down speeds and I had no issues, one of my other cars is a PDK equipped Porsche which are generally held up as one of the best on the market, and I saw no perceptible differences in change speeds

maybe it’s me, but I do wonder sometimes whether car reviewers let their marque bias get in the way of their reviews. Have to add however, that Evo’s and Jalopnik’s reviews seem far more aligned with my experience. Again, I’ve only used the power train in the LC, but I can’t imagine too many differentials between the 2 fitments

You are not alone Phil. 80% of car reviews give false impressions.

Listen only to experienced Lexus owners for the facts.

Although I am a Lexus enthusiast through and through, I would unfortunately disagree with one thing, the 8 or 10 speed boxes are fine for auto modes and general cruising, but when in manual mode and wanting to blip up or down through some gears, it can occasionally 'stutter' or 'lag' in changing, I would say I've learned how to effectively avoid this scenario, but I would personally say it is night and day between ours and DCT types... however, Toyota discussed why they decided on torque converter auto's over DCT's and it simply came down to reliability and knowing that problems are likely to be minimal, I'd have ours over a DCT.

Having friends in newer cars with less mileage, with DCT's - nothing but problems from our German counter parts, which I think is then further reflected that the newer cars being made by these manufacturers are now going to torque converter autos... almost as if Toyota were right 😛

Hope to hear of your successful purchase soon though and some pics to go with 😉

• Like 3

As an owner of an LC with the 10 speed box,I have to disagree.In manual mode it is a delight and I have not experienced any”lag” or “stutter”.Maybe the older RCF box is different,I cannot comment.

Added to which is the delightful exhaust note as you click down through the gears.

Having owned many new PDK and DCT cars,I reckon the LC box is up there.

A J.

48 minutes ago, Pebisit said:

There is one chap who I call Dug the Manure he's actual name is something slightly different, he gets a lot of views which I can never understand. Anyway he also reviewed a Mini Clubvan which as an owner I can say like his RCF review was miles out and rubbish.

Savagegeese do a Youtube review and I find their findings to be about in line with my thinking, they are also people who know what they are talking about.

I have spoken to a guy on Pistonheads who had an early RCF who to this day says he found the box sluggish and not very good. I have wondered if it may have been a software issue with his because my experience and many others is one of enjoyment. Part of the fun is keeping it the upper rev range (it's very easy to over-rev it by the way) and the changes are good, not quite as good as the McLaren 720s I tried a while back but good.

Many moons ago I test drove a beautiful Aston Martin Vantage S and the paddle shift in that was diabolical, so much so I finished the test drive early and in the end bought an SL63 as it's gearchange on the paddles was superb compared to it.

I absolutely agree with your statement re the Vantage S, almost pulled the trigger on one myself but wifey thought it was a bit OTT to have on the drive 😂😂 the best way to drive it was to lift off as you pulled the paddle and that made the transmission much smoother. Nothing like that on the LC yesterday, very smooth and fast changes 

18 minutes ago, Pebisit said:

I absolutely agree with your statement re the Vantage S, almost pulled the trigger on one myself but wifey thought it was a bit OTT to have on the drive 😂😂 the best way to drive it was to lift off as you pulled the paddle and that made the transmission much smoother. Nothing like that on the LC yesterday, very smooth and fast changes 

I said to the salesman with me 'the last time I drove a car with a paddle change this bad it was a Maserati 4200 Gambiocorsa' to which he said it was the same company that made the Maserati and the Aston Martin box.

As you say you had to learn how to use it but in auto in traffic it was a nightmare too. I just don't accept that argument either about having to learn something like that.

It was a beautiful looking car though light metallic green soft top.

8 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

I said to the salesman with me 'the last time I drove a car with a paddle change this bad it was a Maserati 4200 Gambiocorsa' to which he said it was the same company that made the Maserati and the Aston Martin box.

As you say you had to learn how to use it but in auto in traffic it was a nightmare too. I just don't accept that argument either about having to learn something like that.

It was a beautiful looking car though light metallic green soft top.

😂😂😂 

I do agree, you shouldn’t have to compromise on an Aston Martin, but what a stunning car, one of the most beautiful cars ever produced in my opinion, and you can forgive a lot for that

11 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Another plaudit for Lexus MK.

Yes, that’s two in a row, John!🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

Aston Martin Vantage S and the paddle shift in that was diabolical

Funny that, my dad has one - sportshift II, his description was you had to treat it like a motorbike gear change, back off throttle... change... reapply throttle. Having said that, he has some work done by Bamford Rose to 'moderately' improve performance and clutch operation and said the difference is magnificent!

41 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

Funny that, my dad has one - sportshift II, his description was you had to treat it like a motorbike gear change, back off throttle... change... reapply throttle. Having said that, he has some work done by Bamford Rose to 'moderately' improve performance and clutch operation and said the difference is magnificent!

Each to his own I guess, not sure about motorbike gear change though I've been riding motorbikes all my life and if I had a bike with a gear change like that I'd have fallen off countless times.

On my test day (all in one day) I drove an R8, Aston Martin and the AMG SL63 I concluded that if the Aston Martin had been fitted with an auto box like the AMG I'd have bought it on the spot. It really was that bad, although the people in Walton on Thames dealership were such nice folk.

Slightly off topic but here is a photo of one of my old Harley's (1947) it had a foot clutch and a tank mounted gear change even that was easier than the Aston Martin

IMG_0034.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

Each to his own I guess, not sure about motorbike gear change though I've been riding motorbikes all my life and if I had a bike with a gear change like that I'd have fallen off countless times.

On my test day (all in one day) I drove an R8, Aston Martin and the AMG SL63 I concluded that if the Aston Martin had been fitted with an auto box like the AMG I'd have bought it on the spot. It really was that bad, although the people in Walton on Thames dealership were such nice folk.

Slightly off topic but here is a photo of one of my old Harley's (1947) it had a foot clutch and a tank mounted gear change even that was easier than the Aston Martin

IMG_0034.jpeg

Not a Harley fan but that is stunning 👍👍 I have a couple of bikes myself but my oldest is a 1983 GPZ750 as I had in my youth. Don’t ride it much but it always brings back fun memories when I walk past it in the barn

The DB9 of the same era had a proper auto box, never understood why they didn’t offer it as an option on the Vantage 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

I don't ride myself so it doesn't make any sense to me but my dad has since he was in single digits so maybe I'm not explaining/ phrasing it correctly - unless he was very good at falling off! 😆

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links