Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anti theft number plates

Sled Driver

Hi folks!

Besides having the Catloc and DNA marking kit via SelectaDNA on my CT200h. I'm also thinking about having more piece of mind via securing my number plates. 

So far I've seen either anti theft number plate screws or anti theft number plates that brake apart once tampered with. The main manufacturer of these I can find is Staymark Autoplates at https://staymarkautoplates.co.uk

Have any fellow Lexus owners had any experience of either of the above two options? 

Cheers LOC! :thumbs_up:

Should somebody criminal with tools actually want to take a particular plate they just cut around and take the metal/lastic it is glued on with them.. With a cutter it would take no more time than screwing a standard plate off.

if the security screws are like these then i wouldn't say they are that secure

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-security/richbrook-anti-theft-number-plate-bolts-794669.html

using a set of circlip pliers you could possibly loosen and remove the screws

or

using 2 small diameter drill bits 1 in each hole then a bar in between them to loosen the screws

On 5/18/2021 at 6:43 PM, 200h said:

if the security screws are like these then i wouldn't say they are that secure

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-security/richbrook-anti-theft-number-plate-bolts-794669.html

using a set of circlip pliers you could possibly loosen and remove the screws

or

using 2 small diameter drill bits 1 in each hole then a bar in between them to loosen the screws

I saw these Richbrook screws on amazon and Halfords and thought exactly the same Mark! 

Be interesting if anybody has had experience of the Staymark anti theft number plates or any other devices to prevent theft. 

• Like 1

Not really worth it. It's much cheaper and easier to just get the number plate made online.

Many sellers don't require any ID as they claim to sell only "show plates" which are not technically road legal

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, rayaans said:

Not really worth it. It's much cheaper and easier to just get the number plate made online.

Many sellers don't require any ID as they claim to sell only "show plates" which are not technically road legal

So it's not worth securing one's number plate then at all??? 

• 7 months later...

saw a post on the Facebook site of plates stolen from a LS600h where the thieves had been unsuccessful on a car nearby so had slashed their tyres. Rather have my plates stolen.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Why would they bother stealing plates when they can get any plate they want printed online for next to nothing?

I would have thought so too.  Why risk getting caught stealing plates - or even possessing them - when they’re only a small part of a more serious planned bit of illegality?

However, I have come across an AA article, dated 2017, which claimed that number plate thefts had more than doubled over the previous five years - from what to what it failed to mention.  And whether that growth continued, I don’t know.

Apart from the risk of theft, however small, one argument for the plates previously identified is that they are simply better than the standard, screwed plates.  They look better and have the clear layer in front that keeps the plate cleaner.

So I might have been tempted.  For me, however, the crucial disadvantage is that the manufacturer demands sight of original documents to prove identity and ownership.  Personally, I am not prepared to entrust such documents to the vagaries of the postal system or the internal security of some unknown company.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LenT said:

I would have thought so too.  Why risk getting caught stealing plates - or even possessing them - when they’re only a small part of a more serious planned bit of illegality?

However, I have come across an AA article, dated 2017, which claimed that number plate thefts had more than doubled over the previous five years - from what to what it failed to mention.  And whether that growth continued, I don’t know.

Apart from the risk of theft, however small, one argument for the plates previously identified is that they are simply better than the standard, screwed plates.  They look better and have the clear layer in front that keeps the plate cleaner.

So I might have been tempted.  For me, however, the crucial disadvantage is that the manufacturer demands sight of original documents to prove identity and ownership.  Personally, I am not prepared to entrust such documents to the vagaries of the postal system or the internal security of some unknown company.

Hi LenT

I had a similar concern and especially resonate with your final paragraph. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, rayaans said:

But they do actually pass the MOT ok ..  I've got them on the front of mine and been thru' 2 MOTs ok

Malc

20 hours ago, Malc said:

But they do actually pass the MOT ok ..  I've got them on the front of mine and been thru' 2 MOTs ok

Malc

Yep they do as long as they're spaced correctly

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pastore said:

excuse my ignorance but who would actually steal someone number plate? never heard of that before. What would they do with it, its useless

You'd think so wouldn't you, but no, they're not.

They put the plates on an identical car and can then raz around committing crimes, or speeding, or not paying for petrol etc., etc., and it's you the police will come to because to all intents and purposes, that car is registered to you.

I fitted a small and inexpensive GPS tracker to my car like this one an unexpected benefit of which is that if someone nicks my plates, I can prove that my car was nowhere near the scene of the crime.

27 minutes ago, Herbie said:

You'd think so wouldn't you, but no, they're not.

They put the plates on an identical car and can then raz around committing crimes, or speeding, or not paying for petrol etc., etc., and it's you the police will come to because to all intents and purposes, that car is registered to you.

I fitted a small and inexpensive GPS tracker to my car like this one an unexpected benefit of which is that if someone nicks my plates, I can prove that my car was nowhere near the scene of the crime.

I didn't knw people would go to those lengths, what a sad life these people have stealing and getting innocent people in trouble, you make a good point. Fair play on getting that GPS tracker - i'm actually looking for one for my car too which i was going to start a thread about to see what other people have. Just looked ta the one got, its cheap and seems easy to install but dont you think its worth getting one where you could hide somewhere incase god forbid your car gets stolen because they seems to look for trackers when they steal because some people dont hide them, just saying

1 hour ago, Pastore said:

Just looked ta the one got, its cheap and seems easy to install but dont you think its worth getting one where you could hide somewhere incase god forbid your car gets stolen because they seems to look for trackers when they steal because some people dont hide them, just saying

You can hide this one almost anywhere you like, just as long as you have a 12V supply, although it has to be in an area that isn't covered by too much metal so that it gets a good GPS signal.

There are obviously better ones with constant 24/7 monitoring in a security centre and so on but they cost a lot more and you have to pay for the monitoring as well. I think this one is a good compromise; it alerts you to movement and ignition switch on (as well as other parameters), then you can ring the police and give them a running commentary of where it is.

I'm still of the opinion that prevention is better than cure so I also use the tried and tested method of a mechanical steering lock as well, so that hopefully they'll take one look and decide to move on to an easier target.

IMG_20190120_193536.thumb.jpg.a5e1c644fa5288edfd4aad939bf3fcc3.jpg

4 hours ago, Pastore said:

excuse my ignorance but who would actually steal someone number plate? never heard of that before. What would they do with it, its useless

As Herbie has said.

It is rife in the bigger city’s as the roads are now only patrolled (for the most part) by cameras for this & that, so if the scroats can use your legit plates it is likely that Mr ANPR will leave them alone and indeed does.

BTW most phones can now tell where you have been & when inc your dash cam (if fitted)

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

You can hide this one almost anywhere you like, just as long as you have a 12V supply, although it has to be in an area that isn't covered by too much metal so that it gets a good GPS signal.

There are obviously better ones with constant 24/7 monitoring in a security centre and so on but they cost a lot more and you have to pay for the monitoring as well. I think this one is a good compromise; it alerts you to movement and ignition switch on (as well as other parameters), then you can ring the police and give them a running commentary of where it is.

I'm still of the opinion that prevention is better than cure so I also use the tried and tested method of a mechanical steering lock as well, so that hopefully they'll take one look and decide to move on to an easier target.

IMG_20190120_193536.thumb.jpg.a5e1c644fa5288edfd4aad939bf3fcc3.jpg

you cant put it anywhere really as you have physically connected it to your fuse box. The ones im thinking of where you literally put anywhere are Battery operated.

i hear what your saying about the wheel lock, although it can be cut and also have clone keys - they can act a a deterrent and can hopefully put the thief's off and make them think twice, might have to get one myself.

41 minutes ago, VFR said:

As Herbie has said.

It is rife in the bigger city’s as the roads are now only patrolled (for the most part) by cameras for this & that, so if the scroats can use your legit plates it is likely that Mr ANPR will leave them alone and indeed does.

BTW most phones can now tell where you have been & when inc your dash cam (if fitted)

I agree with what your saying although when it comes to the police knocking on your door - they would check the car and see the plate doesnt match the car they have put the plate on first. They are clone plates without them even stealing them in the first place so if the police even do come round after doing their checks if so happens they have the exact same make, model and colour as your car then I have a dash cam which records 24/7 - so you are right about the dash cam.

2 minutes ago, Pastore said:

you cant put it anywhere really as you have physically connected it to your fuse box. The ones im thinking of where you literally put anywhere are battery operated.

The tracker I've got (the Rewire Security DB2) can be placed anywhere in the car as long as there is a 12V supply to wire it to; could be in the roof lining, could be in the boot, could be in the spare wheel well and so on.

It has an internal fuse for safety but, perhaps more importantly, it has an internal rechargeable Battery that will keep the unit up and running if the car Battery is disconnected or goes flat - you'll see the state of both car Battery and tracker Battery below.

I've never seen a tracker that works on Battery alone and I can't imagine it being much use really.

985986459_2022-01-23(1).thumb.png.df1512310c7e1b28eadd449a7a0bc68a.png

17 minutes ago, Herbie said:

The tracker I've got (the Rewire Security DB2) can be placed anywhere in the car as long as there is a 12V supply to wire it to; could be in the roof lining, could be in the boot, could be in the spare wheel well and so on.

It has an internal fuse for safety but, perhaps more importantly, it has an internal rechargeable battery that will keep the unit up and running if the car battery is disconnected or goes flat - you'll see the state of both car battery and tracker battery below.

I've never seen a tracker that works on battery alone and I can't imagine it being much use really.

985986459_2022-01-23(1).thumb.png.df1512310c7e1b28eadd449a7a0bc68a.png

all they have to do is look at the cable and cut it, the cable will be more likely to be found, they will look at the fuse box to disconnect the dash cam and this gps tracker, they also check the OBD port as some gps trackers use that port also. 

The Battery powered ones does the same thing, monitor in real time on an app you can have on your phone.

Just a quick search online showed this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winnes-Location-Tracking-Portable-Real-time/dp/B09BZKL3XF/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=gps%2Btracker%2Bbattery%2Bpowered&qid=1642955506&s=electronics&sr=1-4&th=1

you can shuve it anywhere and dont have to worry about the install and cables being shown, their gonna check your fuse box anyway. Just charge the thing once a week or 2 weeks whatver it is - 10,000 mah Battery

7 minutes ago, Pastore said:

Right, I see what you mean now, fair enough, I didn't know such things existed.

It's all a compromise though. People still break into banks and so on, and if they want it they'll take it - all we can do is try to deter them.

13 minutes ago, Pastore said:

all they have to do is look at the cable and cut it, the cable will be more likely to be found, they will look at the fuse box to disconnect the dash cam and this gps tracker, they also check the ODB port as some gps trackers use that port also. 

The point is, if you can see the installation cables and/or the thing itself, then it's a very poor installation. My tracker is wired into the car supply but neither the tracker itself or its wiring are 'on show'. It's all hidden away and unless you had an electronic tracker finder (bug finder) then you could rip half the car apart and still not find it.

5 hours ago, Pastore said:

but who would actually steal someone number plate? never heard of that before. What would they do with it, its useless

criminal minds at play

Many many years ago when I owned a car sales business I was standing outside my mum's bungalow in Herne Bay when I saw one of our stock cars, an Audi driving down the road when it shouldn't have been :unsure:

Called my business partner to ask what the hell .....  why was this car some 60 miles away on a Sunday afternoon ? .....  he peeked out of the showroom office and hey, OUR stock car was still there in all it's bright shining polished glory 

Been CLONED

Malc

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Malc said:

criminal minds at play

Many many years ago when I owned a car sales business I was standing outside my mum's bungalow in Herne Bay when I saw one of our stock cars, an Audi driving down the road when it shouldn't have been :unsure:

Called my business partner to ask what the hell .....  why was this car some 60 miles away on a Sunday afternoon ? .....  he peeked out of the showroom office and hey, OUR stock car was still there in all it's bright shining polished glory 

Been CLONED

Malc

Just goes to show you that you can never tell when they will try and strike. I am now convinced that they attempt to steal plates. I'm now going to search which secure plates to get. This comes at a good time and Im getting a private reg anyway and will new to get them printed and put on anyway.

• Like 1