Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problem as startup

I have 2009 Rx450 but it has started an anoying problem.

Normally when I get in and buckle toe seat belt, the seat moves forward and the steering column lowers, but recently about 1 in 10 times I get in the car and on buckling the seat belt nothing happens. If I put my foot on the brake and press the start button the instruments light up but I dont get the 'Ready' light. The gearchange is released but if I put it in drive, I just get a message to 'Put it in Park to Start'. Of course putting it back in park has no effect.

All I can do is keep pressing the Start button until everything switches off, get out of the car and lock it, then I can unlock, get in and usually all is normal again although sometimes the steering column moves but not the seat, however I can move the seat by button and drive the car as normal.

Anyone ever had this or know what its a symptom of?

• Sad 1

If the seat and steering position is coded to the key - could i possibly be the keyfob Battery playing up?

OR

Could it be interference causing the key to malfunction - i.e its not communicating with the car fully hence the issue you say.

I have had keyless problems in our morrissons car park 2/3 times which is normally otherwise perfect

• Like 1

The more complicated the cars get: the more things can go wrong.

Interference is very possible. More and more signals are in the air every day and even in year 2000 several Cobra keyless entry systems (very simple and reliable normally) were affected if close to transformation stations, radio & TV masts and even the old phone masts. Do not expect these interferences to go away with more and faster everything from TV transmissions getting into higher frequencies.

First of all you need to see if any OBD codes have been flagged, preferably by using Techstream because that gives more info than a generic reader.

I'd hazard a guess at the 12V Battery beginning to fail maybe?

• Like 2

The repair manual suggests a problem with the Body ECU or driver seat switch assembly if the seat belt detection is working correctly.

The fact that the ignition isn't working correct at the same time suggests Body ECU to me (other than the brake pedal switch but you would have issues with brake lights too). Due to the very intermittent nature I would be worth reseating all the connector first.

However before you do anything make sure your 12v Battery has a good charge. All sorts of weird issues arise if the voltage is low when the vehicle tries to power up, and in these times of less vehicle usage it is a common issue.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DaveRx450 said:

Voltage looks ok, but admittedly I'm only doing short journeys at the moment. I suppose I could put it on charge and see if the situation improves.

or you could put it in READY mode as per your Handbook Dave ?

I thought I was doing it as per the handbook. Am I missing something?

My handbook just says if the Ready does not appear when you press the start button whilst brake pressed and gear in park, then contact dealer. Not awfully helpful

49 minutes ago, DaveRx450 said:

I thought I was doing it as per the handbook. Am I missing something?

My handbook just says if the Ready does not appear when you press the start button whilst brake pressed and gear in park, then contact dealer. Not awfully helpful

I think John just meant to put your vehicle in Ready mode for an hour to charge up the Battery. If you have a charger then using that is certainly preferable.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Herbie said:

First of all you need to see if any OBD codes have been flagged, preferably by using Techstream because that gives more info than a generic reader.

I'd hazard a guess at the 12V battery beginning to fail maybe?

+1

Had problems starting my wife's car... seat not moving etc.

Garage said the Battery was fine as did the AA.

I convinced her to splash out on a new Battery regardless - fine since then.

( About £280 at Lexus - money well spent. )

( The Battery was about 6 years old. )

1 hour ago, PCM said:

+1

Garage said the battery was fine as did the AA.

I convinced her to splash out on a new battery regardless - fine since then.

( The battery was about 6 years old. )

Piers, that must be a first ?

How did you get your wife to buy her own Battery ?

• Haha 1

Well... one day I won't be here, so I guess she would have no-one to start it for her.

( Or work the remote controls etc. )

• Like 1

But again - for peace of mind. Splash the cash. It was money well spent. Lexus Hatfield did it. Safe and quick.

2 hours ago, PCM said:

+1

Garage said the battery was fine as did the AA.

I convinced her to splash out on a new battery regardless - fine since then.

( The battery was about 6 years old. )

Obviously the days of 'male emancipation' are replacing the 'male emaciation' at last!  

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links