Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D Sport Gearbox Issue - Gear 6 jumps out into neutral

Jaro

Hello Fellow Lexus Owners,

I am a newbie to the forum!

I have just turned 22, and after saving long enough I have decided to upgrade from my 07 Clio to a 06 IS220D Sport.

I have bought it last week, and so far it has been driving amazing ( can't say the same for MPG or tax bracket lol).

I took it on motorway today to see, how it drives in high speed. It drives lovely, but I nearly crapped my pants, when I was in 6th gear, and the engine revved up to max all of as sudden, I thought the accelerator was stuck :D

As it turns out, the car jumps out back to neutral by itself, this only happens in 6th gear. It doesn't happen in any other gears, and there isn't much noise coming from gearbox itself, only a crunch like noise when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd.

Is this a common problem on these, and what is it actually caused by?

Hi Jaro

Not a common problem. I assume it goes into gear fine, and it feels like it is fully engaged on the gear stick?

There are a few causes of this, but all internal to the gearbox so isn't an easy or quick fix. Does it pop out of gear when you accelerate, come off the throttle or just at a random time?

Did you purchase from a dealer? If so you should take it back and request that the issue is resolved. 

28 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Hi Jaro

Not a common problem. I assume it goes into gear fine, and it feels like it is fully engaged on the gear stick?

There are a few causes of this, but all internal to the gearbox so isn't an easy or quick fix. Does it pop out of gear when you accelerate, come off the throttle or just at a random time?

Did you purchase from a dealer? If so you should take it back and request that the issue is resolved. 

Hey Colin,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it was bought from a private trader, and he won’t take it back.

It goes in gear fine, and feels good, but it pops out when accelerating. 

To be honest, If it’s only 6th gear that’s gone in it, and it doesn’t do further damage to the gearbox I am more than happy just to leave it, as gearbox problems seem always expensive to fix.

From what I read on here, 6th gear is unusable if you drive it in uk anyways

Private trader or private seller? If a trader (be that a single person or a huge multi-dealership organisation) then by law they have to conform to the consumer rights act 2015, assuming the fault wasn't disclosed and you agreed to purchase with the fault.

I’ve owned the car for less than 30 days  The Consumer Rights Act gives you an initial 30 days to reject it, if it is faulty, and claim a full refund from the dealer that sold it to you. You can also ask for it to be repaired or replaced

After those first 30 days you have to give the dealer a chance to repair or replace the car.

I’ve owned the car for more than 30 days  You're entitled to ask for a repair or replacement free of charge.

If the repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you're entitled to a refund. The car dealer can deduct ‘fair use’ from the refund after the first 30 days.

First six months If you take the vehicle back within six months of purchase, the dealer should accept there was a problem when the vehicle was sold and offer a partial refund or to repair or replace it. 

If the dealer doesn't accept there was a problem when the vehicle was sold, they'll have to prove this.

After six months It will be up to you to prove there was a problem with the vehicle when sold to you, after you've owned it for longer than six months. 

You'll have to provide evidence of this so it may help to get an independent report which could establish the condition of the vehicle when sold. 

But yes 6th gear isn't that useful on the IS220d.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links