Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 'wind noise' issue....possibly solved the source of noise anyway!

Hi All

My ongoing issue with a bit of wind noise at speed was possibly solved today. Well....at least I found out what the culprit is. Running at a tad over 70 Northwards on the M1 I could hear the noise appearing again. Was a blustery day to say the least. Not sure why but I thought to fold in the electric wing mirrors to see if that made any difference to the air flow. Apparently wind noise isn't just caused by wind getting in. Its also to do with a difference in air pressure inside and outside of the vehicle. Lo and behold....the distinctive noise went away completely. Out come the mirrors.....and back it comes! Has anyone else noticed noise coming from their mirror assembly at speed? I guess its possible I still have a seal issue and that the wing mirror change of angle has done something to disrupt the air flow. However Lexus reckoned the seals are fine so maybe not. 

Cheers

Adam

5 minutes ago, superatticman said:

Hi All

My ongoing issue with a bit of wind noise at speed was possibly solved today. Well....at least I found out what the culprit is. Running at a tad over 70 Northwards on the M1 I could hear the noise appearing again. Was a blustery day to say the least. Not sure why but I thought to fold in the electric wing mirrors to see if that made any difference to the air flow. Apparently wind noise isn't just caused by wind getting in. Its also to do with a difference in air pressure inside and outside of the vehicle. Lo and behold....the distinctive noise went away completely. Out come the mirrors.....and back it comes! Has anyone else noticed noise coming from their mirror assembly at speed? I guess its possible I still have a seal issue and that the wing mirror change of angle has done something to disrupt the air flow. However Lexus reckoned the seals are fine so maybe not. 

Cheers

Adam

Adam, does driving at a tad under 70 make any difference ?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Adam, does driving at a tad under 70 make any difference ?

🙂

Is apparent from 60 up. Mind you if the speedo read 72.....that probably means 70 or even 69 in real life. 

Is more apparent when its blustery out. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, superatticman said:

🙂

Is apparent from 60 up. Mind you if the speedo read 72.....that probably means 70 or even 69 in real life. 

Is more apparent when its blustery out. 

Perhaps if you were to clean and polish each wing mirror exterior and turn up the volume slightly, it might solve the problem ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Perhaps if you were to clean and polish each wing mirror exterior and turn up the volume slightly, it might solve the problem ?

I guess I could just remove them............... 🤪

Strange as I've never noticed this on any of my other cars. And lets say when I was younger my right boot was a bit heavier. 

Granted I'm a fusspot with squeaks, rattles and anything slightly out of the ordinary, which is just one reason why I absolutely love the GS. 

My first RC had this, not bad but noticeable only because the cabin is otherwise so quiet. My second RC, facelift version has redesigned door mirrors, also has it but significantly less. As commented it seems worse when blustery, particularly crosswinds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

My first RC had this, not bad but noticeable only because the cabin is otherwise so quiet. My second RC, facelift version has redesigned door mirrors, also has it but significantly less. As commented it seems worse when blustery, particularly crosswinds.

So in essence....it's actually a vote of total confidence in the 'Lexus quiet' theory. Have to say the interior is absolutely silent in general. No rattles, squeaks or buzzes. Even my previous E60 which was a tad quieter road noise wise, had a few annoying interior rattles depending on road conditions etc.