Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disabling VSC

Hey guys,

I'm tired of VSC ruining my fun and I'd like to disable it.

So I've been trying to figure this out over the last few days after reading this: https://www.my.is/threads/how-to-disable-is300-vsc-trac.578673/

The problem is, wire gauges and ratings... I just don't get the American system (AWG), it makes NO sense to me. I went to my local parts store and bought some 5A (2.5mm diameter) cable, but then realised there's a 10A fuse in the ECU-IG circuit. But the guys in that thread I linked are using 16-22AWG at a certain length to control to Amps?

I'm totally lost since I don't know a whole lot about car electrics. Here in the UK we seem to go by cable rating without a care for length of the cable etc.?

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

Paul

2 minutes ago, PCM said:

My 2 cents - I wouldn't. Just wondering if it would 'count' as an Insurance Mod? 

I'll add another 2, I think trying to disable VSC could cause various issues, can't you just switch it off?

• Like 1

If you are driving in such a manner that the VSC is "ruining" your enjoyment I suggest you should be driving on track not the public highway. I'm pretty sure if you had an accident and your insurer discovered the disabled safety system you'd be in deep waters and no cover.

How about sourcing or building a track car and having your fun that way?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Shizukesa said:

Hey guys,

I'm tired of VSC ruining my fun and I'd like to disable it.

So I've been trying to figure this out over the last few days after reading this: https://www.my.is/threads/how-to-disable-is300-vsc-trac.578673/

The problem is, wire gauges and ratings... I just don't get the American system (AWG), it makes NO sense to me. I went to my local parts store and bought some 5A (2.5mm diameter) cable, but then realised there's a 10A fuse in the ECU-IG circuit. But the guys in that thread I linked are using 16-22AWG at a certain length to control to Amps?

I'm totally lost since I don't know a whole lot about car electrics. Here in the UK we seem to go by cable rating without a care for length of the cable etc.?

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

Paul

Do not understand why you want to disable the VSC unless for track use. No Lexus cars are made for track driving anyway.

With regard to resistance in cables: The longer the cable - the more resistance. Extremely simple.

• Like 1

I guess I should explain myself.

First of all, this isn't for street use. This is for track use.

Second of all, learning car control on the track isn't easy when you're being saved every time the back end slips.

2 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Do not understand why you want to disable the VSC unless for track use. No Lexus cars are made for track driving anyway.

With regard to resistance in cables: The longer the cable - the more resistance. Extremely simple.

So "5A Automotive cable" with a longer length will support more resistance than 5A? It doesn't seem very simple since the cable says 5A and doesn't mention length.

With a diameter of 2.5mm, and with AWG equivalent diameter being 10 AWG, it means the same diameter wire can hold 30A.

Am I missing something? 😄

• Like 1

The current rating of any conductor/cable depends on its cross sectional area , the material is made of, the ambient temperature of operation ( derating factors apply as the temperature increases ), how they are laid and the kind of circuit protection it has. (Close excess current protection allows 30% over rating. This refers to mcb circuit breakers and high rapturing fuses. )

Another limitation to comply with when designing circuits is the voltage drop per ampere per metre of the conductor/cable in question. The higher its cross sectional area the lower its voltage drop per ampere per metre. For power distribution electrical installations, this limit is set to 6% of the nominal supply voltage.

There are tables of the current capacities of cables, conductors according to their cross sectional area and in AWG, in Google.

Chris.

3 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

There is actually quite a few Lexus cars that are very capable on track, many models including the LFA, have a watch of the LFA how its made documentary.

2 hours ago, Shizukesa said:

I guess I should explain myself.

First of all, this isn't for street use. This is for track use.

Second of all, learning car control on the track isn't easy when you're being saved every time the back end slips.

So "5A Automotive cable" with a longer length will support more resistance than 5A? It doesn't seem very simple since the cable says 5A and doesn't mention length.

With a diameter of 2.5mm, and with AWG equivalent diameter being 10 AWG, it means the same diameter wire can hold 30A.

Am I missing something? 😄

The simple:

The longer the wire is, the more resistance it has. Giving larger loss of energy.

The thicker the wire is, the less resistance it has. Still loss of energy but far less.

The higher the temperature is the higher the resistance. Old lamps are hot because resistance in the wire heats the wire and some wires will then glow.

Various materials have different resistance. Gold contacts are used for low resistance.

A long thin wire has more resistance than a short thick wire.

The long:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistance_and_conductance

5 minutes ago, rob_clio172 said:

There is actually quite a few Lexus cars that are very capable on track, many models including the LFA, have a watch of the LFA how its made documentary.

If you mean that it is OK with me.

All cars can drive on track.

A Dyane 6 is very funny on a track. Do not get seasick.

Just now, Las Palmas said:

If you mean that it is OK with me.

All cars can drive on track.

"No Lexus cars are made for track driving anyway"

Screenshot_20210516-151232_Chrome.thumb.jpg.566470ec1940f2079fe959907ed99221.jpg

This 1 is designed for track use... this is 1 of many models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Old lamps are hot because resistance in the wire heats the wire and some wires will then glow

You've obviously been reading the wrong theory books:

BELL LAB PROVES EXISTENCE OF DARK SUCKERS!

For years it has been believed that electric bulbs emitted light. However, recent information from Bell Labs has proven otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light; they suck dark. Thus they now call these bulbs dark suckers. The dark sucker theory, according to a spokesman from the Labs, proves the existence of dark, that dark has mass heavier than that of light, and that dark is faster than light.

The basis of the dark sucker theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. Take for example the dark suckers in the room where you are. There is less dark right next to them than there is elsewhere. The larger the dark sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark suckers in a parking lot have a much greater capacity than the ones in this room. As with all things, dark suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck.

This is proven by the black spot on a full dark sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all the dark which has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the path of the dark flowing into the candle. Unfortunately, these primitive dark suckers have a very limited range. There are also portable dark suckers. The bulbs in these can't handle all of the dark by themselves, and must be aided by a dark storage unit. When the dark storage unit is full, it must be either emptied or replaced before the portable dark sucker can operate again.

Dark has mass. When dark goes into a dark sucker, friction from this mass generates heat. Thus it is not wise to touch an operating dark sucker. Candles present a special problem, as the dark must travel in the solid wick instead of through glass. This generates a great amount of heat. Thus it can be very dangerous to touch an operating candle. Dark is also heavier than light. If you swim deeper and deeper, you notice it gets darker and darker. When you reach a depth of approximately fifty feet, you are in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the ligher light floats to the top.

The immense power of dark can be utilized to a man's advantage. We can collect the dark that has settled to the bottom of lakes and push it through turbines, which generates electricity and helps push it to the ocean where it may be safely stored. Prior to turbines, it was much more difficult to get dark from rivers and lakes to the ocean. The Indians recognized this problem and tried to solve it. When on a river in a canoe traveling in the same direction as the flow of dark, they paddled slowly, so as not to stop the flow of dark, but when they traveled against the flow of dark, they paddled quickly so as to help push the dark along its way.

Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you stand in an illuminated room in front of a closed, dark closet, then slowly open the door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet, but since the dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the closet. In conclusion, Bell Labs stated that dark suckers make all our lives much easier. So the next time you look at an electric light bulb, remember that it is indeed a dark sucker.

Sorry, I couldn't resist 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here is a conversion chart from AWG to mm2.

https://www.multicable.com/resources/reference-data/cross-reference-awg-to-mm2/

The higher the AWG number the thinner the wire basically. 

So for your purpose anywhere between the quoted figures of 16-22 AWG is fine, it won’t be carrying a heavy current.

A 0.75- 1.00mm2 wire is fine for the job, this can be found for example in the cable for a table lamp either the blue or brown wire. Or just buy a length of 1.0mm2 solid copper wire from an auto parts store it will be fine for the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261181733837?hash=item3ccfa4fbcd:g:wyoAAOSwd4tT3zj4

Personally given your lack of electrical understanding I would get someone who does understand to do the job...you only need to cut the wrong wire or make a wrong connection and you could end up with multiple problems including an electrical fire!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

You've obviously been reading the wrong theory books:

BELL LAB PROVES EXISTENCE OF DARK SUCKERS!

For years it has been believed that electric bulbs emitted light. However, recent information from Bell Labs has proven otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light; they suck dark. Thus they now call these bulbs dark suckers. The dark sucker theory, according to a spokesman from the Labs, proves the existence of dark, that dark has mass heavier than that of light, and that dark is faster than light.

The basis of the dark sucker theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. Take for example the dark suckers in the room where you are. There is less dark right next to them than there is elsewhere. The larger the dark sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark suckers in a parking lot have a much greater capacity than the ones in this room. As with all things, dark suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck.

This is proven by the black spot on a full dark sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all the dark which has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the path of the dark flowing into the candle. Unfortunately, these primitive dark suckers have a very limited range. There are also portable dark suckers. The bulbs in these can't handle all of the dark by themselves, and must be aided by a dark storage unit. When the dark storage unit is full, it must be either emptied or replaced before the portable dark sucker can operate again.

Dark has mass. When dark goes into a dark sucker, friction from this mass generates heat. Thus it is not wise to touch an operating dark sucker. Candles present a special problem, as the dark must travel in the solid wick instead of through glass. This generates a great amount of heat. Thus it can be very dangerous to touch an operating candle. Dark is also heavier than light. If you swim deeper and deeper, you notice it gets darker and darker. When you reach a depth of approximately fifty feet, you are in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the ligher light floats to the top.

The immense power of dark can be utilized to a man's advantage. We can collect the dark that has settled to the bottom of lakes and push it through turbines, which generates electricity and helps push it to the ocean where it may be safely stored. Prior to turbines, it was much more difficult to get dark from rivers and lakes to the ocean. The Indians recognized this problem and tried to solve it. When on a river in a canoe traveling in the same direction as the flow of dark, they paddled slowly, so as not to stop the flow of dark, but when they traveled against the flow of dark, they paddled quickly so as to help push the dark along its way.

Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you stand in an illuminated room in front of a closed, dark closet, then slowly open the door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet, but since the dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the closet. In conclusion, Bell Labs stated that dark suckers make all our lives much easier. So the next time you look at an electric light bulb, remember that it is indeed a dark sucker.

Sorry, I couldn't resist 😄

You should have been my teacher very long ago. School would have been funnier. You do spread light.

• Haha 1

As I said in another topic somewhere on these forums - in my head I'm about 20, my body often feels about 80, but in reality I'm 63, so take your pick :laughing:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Herbie said:

As I said in another topic somewhere on these forums - in my head I'm about 20, my body often feels about 80, but in reality I'm 63, so take your pick :laughing:

So, that makes me Head Boy you impish mind or you`ll miss Science Class🤣🤣

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Herbie, you`ve been drinking again or did Stephen Hawkins visit you again in your sleep ?

Herbs is just changing this into something worth reading John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

I am answering, when asked about my age: 25 years.

For more than 50 years now.

I do not like people should believe I am not trustworthy, so stay truth to what I have said.

People that say different things constantly are not to be believed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

I am answering, when asked about my age: 25 years.

For more than 50 years now.

I do not like people should believe I am not trustworthy, so stay truth to what I have said.

People that say different things constantly are not to be believed.

John, Somebody one said to me "John, never ,ever tell a lie, then you will never, ever have to remember what you said "

And I find that the older I get, the more true it is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

John, Somebody one said to me "John, never ,ever tell a lie, then you will never, ever have to remember what you said "

And I find that the older I get, the more true it is.

Well Dean Martin said, if you can lie on the floor without holding on you can't be drunk 😅