Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Honda CR-V owners out there?

Sadly the Lexus RX isn't suitable as a car for me now that we have a very tall dog, the floor is too high and the rear window slopes too steeply.  I'm considering a 2014-ish Honda CR-V, I just wondered if anyone out there has had experience of them. Ta.

I bought one new in 2009. Got an absolutely cracking deal as well. Probably the worst car I've owned from new. It had a manual gearbox and unfortunately for me it was faulty. Apparently it was documented on the HJ site at the time. it was really notchy especially in the lower gears. Liked the car apart from the gearbox the wife relentlessly used to say this gearbox is notchy every time we got in the car and she was driving. Took it to a dealer nothing wrong they said. Took it to another and went out with a master technician he said nothing wrong. I told him it was a well documented fault he rung Honda head office up they said yes and they are working on a fix but couldn't say how long. I then showed him a fault with the fuel filler something he couldn't say ok because it was clearly evident. We liked the car but later got shut because of the gearbox. I have to say i wasn't impressed with any of the Honda dealers i dealt with. This was 2009 things may have changed it was a lovely roomy vehicle.

18 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Sadly the Lexus RX isn't suitable as a car for me now that we have a very tall dog, the floor is too high and the rear window slopes too steeply.  I'm considering a 2014-ish Honda CR-V, I just wondered if anyone out there has had experience of them. Ta.

I understand what you mean by the sloping back. My Labrador is never keen on going in a car anyway. What breed of dog do you have Phil?

A friend of mine had TWO Great Danes - he ended up buying a VW Transporter - for the dogs!

12 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I understand what you mean by the sloping back. My Labrador is never keen on going in a car anyway. What breed of dog do you have Phil?

A friend of mine had TWO Great Danes - he ended up buying a VW Transporter - for the dogs!

We've got a Greyhound, only had him for nine weeks. I realise dogs mostly lie down in a car, maybe I'm using it as an excuse just for something different!  I'm going up the Staffordshire on Thursday to see a 2015 Honda, looks nice and top of the range.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

We've got a Greyhound, only had him for nine weeks. I realise dogs mostly lie down in a car, maybe I'm using it as an excuse just for something different!  I'm going up the Staffordshire on Thursday to see a 2015 Honda, looks nice and top of the range.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2021 at 1:16 PM, The-Acre said:

I had two, the last a 2015 2.0 petrol automatic. My Sister is on her second, currently a 2016 I-DTEC 1.6 diesel automatic. Personally I’d say the petrol is the one to go for - it’s not quick but it is super smooth, quiet and reliable. 

They’re great cars, well made and practical. No issues with mine, and Sister has loved both of the ones she’s owned. Very good dealers in my experience, but as you see from this forum they can be variable across all marques.

Leaving Honda for Lexus was a really hard decision. I used to be a moderator on HondaKarma, and from memory there are very few issues with the petrols. The diesels as you might expect have the usual DPF and EGR issues. Alloy wheels tend to look a bit shabby if not properly looked after, as the lacquer lifts. There was also a batch made in late 2014 where the glue on the protective sheets put on when they left the factory caused paintwork bleaching, but those will all have been sorted by now. Worth knowing in case you see a car where the roof or bonnet has been repainted under warranty.

Trim can get scratched with careless use, especially on the 2007-2011 generation but that’s about all I can think of in terms of recurring problems - they just don’t really go wrong.

This review sums them up perfectly…

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

I had two, the last a 2015 2.0 petrol automatic. My Sister is on her second, currently a 2016 I-DTEC 1.6 diesel automatic. Personally I’d say the petrol is the one to go for - it’s not quick but it is super smooth, quiet and reliable. 

They’re great cars, well made and practical. No issues with mine, and Sister has loved both of the ones she’s owned. Very good dealers in my experience, but as you see from this forum they can be variable across all marques.

Leaving Honda for Lexus was a really hard decision. I used to be a moderator on HondaKarma, and from memory there are very few issues with the petrols. The diesels as you might expect have the usual DPF and EGR issues. Alloy wheels tend to look a bit shabby if not properly looked after, as the lacquer lifts. There was also a batch made in late 2014 where the glue on the protective sheets put on when they left the factory caused paintwork bleaching, but those will all have been sorted by now. Worth knowing in case you see a car where the roof or bonnet has been repainted under warranty.

Trim can get scratched with careless use, especially on the 2007-2011 generation but that’s about all I can think of in terms of recurring problems - they just don’t really go wrong.

This review sums them up perfectly…

Thanks for that, much appreciated!  I did try a petrol one yesterday but it was so gutless.  I've decided on a 2015 2.2 diesel after reading lots of reviews, it's top of the range with all the gizmos and full Honda history.  I've paid a deposit so hopefully tomorrow I'll be driving it home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Thanks for that, much appreciated!  I did try a petrol one yesterday but it was so gutless.  I've decided on a 2015 2.2 diesel after reading lots of reviews, it's top of the range with all the gizmos and full Honda history.  I've paid a deposit so hopefully tomorrow I'll be driving it home.

The CRV should serve you well. The 2.2 I-DTEC is the same unit I had in my previous Accord. It’s reliable and punchy as long as properly maintained - oil changes especially important as is using the exact correct grade. With a FHSH you’ll hopefully be fine.

The petrol isn’t quick but shouldn’t be gutless as it’s an I-VTEC unit. Probably the one you drove had been lightly used and pottered about in and needed it’s neck wrung so to speak! They very much appreciate an ‘Italian tuning’ approach especially when new.

Hope it all turns out well for you. 

• Like 1