Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

7-pin wiring kit, annoying beeping when indicating

Hello!

I have a rear-mounted bike carrier for my RX-300. In order to comply with the law I had a 7-pin wiring kit fitted in order to mount a light board over the bikes, ensuring my lights and number plate are visible. The unit that drives the lights is a Logicon ZR2500 (http://www.pfjonesebay.co.uk/instructions/ZR2500.pdf). It is apparently a legal requirement that such devices emit a beep when indicating, the idea being that the audible beep makes it clear to the driver that the unit is connected and functioning correctly. My issue is that the beep is unnecessarily loud, long and annoying. On a long journey the indication beep would likely become very tiresome. I reckon I could probably tamper with it and get rid of the buzzer but then it would be illegal and potentially dangerous, so my question is does anyone else have an alternative one of these that perhaps has a less irritating sound? As far as I can tell it only needs to be audible, there's no legal requirement for it to be "bloody annoying". A clicking sound would be a much better solution that this god-awful buzzing. I'm hoping I can just swap the unit out for one that's less annoying.

Thanks,
Mark

The bleeper is normally some type of piezo sounder, you could try sticking some tape over it to reduce the level, they do tend to be on the loud side given the installation location is normally in the rear of the vehicle far away from the driving position but still need to be heard over engine and traffic noise.

I notice from the link the manufacturer has contact details inviting questions about the product, perhaps they could offer an alternative solution?

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

Hello!

I have a rear-mounted bike carrier for my RX-300. In order to comply with the law I had a 7-pin wiring kit fitted in order to mount a light board over the bikes, ensuring my lights and number plate are visible. The unit that drives the lights is a Logicon ZR2500 (http://www.pfjonesebay.co.uk/instructions/ZR2500.pdf). It is apparently a legal requirement that such devices emit a beep when indicating, the idea being that the audible beep makes it clear to the driver that the unit is connected and functioning correctly. My issue is that the beep is unnecessarily loud, long and annoying. On a long journey the indication beep would likely become very tiresome. I reckon I could probably tamper with it and get rid of the buzzer but then it would be illegal and potentially dangerous, so my question is does anyone else have an alternative one of these that perhaps has a less irritating sound? As far as I can tell it only needs to be audible, there's no legal requirement for it to be "bloody annoying". A clicking sound would be a much better solution that this god-awful buzzing. I'm hoping I can just swap the unit out for one that's less annoying.

Thanks,
Mark

It is difficult to judge what you are experiencing Mark but you do not have an indicator on for extended periods? I can hardly hear my indicator on the LS and I would like something louder to prevent me leaving the indicators on when listening to the radio. I person ally would consider what you have as a bonus but as I have said, until I hear it I could not say even if I would put up with it. 

As you say the beep is a legal requirement, the beep tells you that the indicator light on the connected unit is working, it's part of the 7pin electrics kit. If the MOT tester is doing his job correctly he should test the towing electrics and if the unit doesn't beep it may be a fail, it was before they changed the categories.

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

It is difficult to judge what you are experiencing Mark but you do not have an indicator on for extended periods? I can hardly hear my indicator on the LS and I would like something louder to prevent me leaving the indicators on when listening to the radio. I person ally would consider what you have as a bonus but as I have said, until I hear it I could not say even if I would put up with it. 

It's too loud in my opinion. Probably enough to keep my 5yo awake if she wanted a nap in the car, for example.