Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

[IS250] Rear Brake caliper from IS250C?

Orku5

A quick question:

Are the rear brake callipers from a 2010 IS250 and a 2011 IS250C (Coupe/Cabrio) identical?

Need to replace one of my rear brake callipers and would have access to a cabrio to take the part off.

Thanks for answer or pointing me into the right direction.

21 hours ago, Orku5 said:

A quick question:

Are the rear brake callipers from a 2010 IS250 and a 2011 IS250C (Coupe/Cabrio) identical?

Need to replace one of my rear brake callipers and would have access to a cabrio to take the part off.

Thanks for answer or pointing me into the right direction.

They are the same calipers, both using same 310mm brake discs. If you don't mind me asking. Why do you need to replace the caliper?

I went to my local dealership for my airbag recall last year and they did a safety check of the car. I've been told to replace all 4 calipers as they were defective. Turned out they weren't defective as such when I had a look myself. Brake caliper slider pins were seized because they need greasing up every 6-12 months. And because they were seized, the caliper wasn't moving like it's supposed to. (Dealerships don't fix things, they just replace things)

Maybe it's worth checking the pins and either re-greasing them or getting new ones from eBay for less than £20. I had to get new ones because they looked like the previous owner never greased them and they were past the point of just re-greasing.

Callipers may require refurbishment as well, because if they not frequently greased they may be rusted stuck to the level where they are past the point of greasing as Lucas said.

But indeed callipers never need to be replaced, only refurbished from time to time. Even most "new" callipers sold are actually "remanufactured". So my recommendation would be just refurbish the existing callipers and if needed replace pins, then make sure to grease them at least once a year. 

So perhaps better way of dealing with it - just send all callipers for refurbishment which costs £250-400 rather than just replacing rear ones with used callipers which may as well be stuck for what presumably will be £150-250 just for the parts. Added benefit of refurbishing is that they most likely going to paint them, so they won't rust as quickly and look nicer.

I got my Lexus begin December and did full service including replaced brake disks and pads.

Last Friday while I was away the back passenger side started making noises and when I checked it was literally down to bare metal - after around 4000mls driving...

Ended up in the garage and paid £85 to get on one side the brake pads replaced - usually I do stuff like that myself but I needed the car end of the day/after work so did bite the bullet.

In case someone thinks it was cheap brake pads - I am using Mintex since 8 years and never had problems.

Started using them with my MX-5, then the BMWs and now the Lexus - I doubt it was this one single brake pad.

Might try the servicing kit or just get the 'new' caliper... 

Thanks for the answers 

If the callipers were not cleaned and greased during the service then they could get stuck, normal Lexus service does not grease the callipers. Yes - stuck calliper can cause excessive brake pad wear as you experienced. IS250 callipers are not the best design and are prone to getting stuck, the only long term solution is looking after those callipers. 

10 hours ago, Orku5 said:

I got my Lexus begin December and did full service including replaced brake disks and pads.

Last Friday while I was away the back passenger side started making noises and when I checked it was literally down to bare metal - after around 4000mls driving...

Ended up in the garage and paid £85 to get on one side the brake pads replaced - usually I do stuff like that myself but I needed the car end of the day/after work so did bite the bullet.

In case someone thinks it was cheap brake pads - I am using Mintex since 8 years and never had problems.

Started using them with my MX-5, then the BMWs and now the Lexus - I doubt it was this one single brake pad.

Might try the servicing kit or just get the 'new' caliper... 

Thanks for the answers 

Sounds like you have a problem with sticky calipers. Rear ones are especially prone to it. They need to be greased up. I recommend doing it asap. If they were able to remove the calipers they're not too bad. My rear one was so bad I had to spend almost an hour hitting it with a rubber mallet. I don't think anyone ever greased it until me.

6 hours ago, H3XME said:

Sounds like you have a problem with sticky calipers. Rear ones are especially prone to it. They need to be greased up. I recommend doing it asap. If they were able to remove the calipers they're not too bad. My rear one was so bad I had to spend almost an hour hitting it with a rubber mallet. I don't think anyone ever greased it until me.

I had to spend an hour on each side with the rear end of an axe to twist them of my discs last summer. Rubber mallet did nothing. Some previous owner had used copper paste to "lubricate" the sliders. The most frustrating thing i have done on a car ever.

So what you did address the condition of callipers? 

But indeed - copper grease is terrible idea as "lubricant" for slider pins, almost guaranteed way to get the stuck.

12 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

So what you did address the condition of callipers? 

But indeed - copper grease is terrible idea as "lubricant" for slider pins, almost guaranteed way to get the stuck.

Calipers themselves were ok, did a proper clean of the pins and everything i could reach with equivalent to WD-40 (can't remember the brand) + wirebrush + steelwool. Then gave them copious amounts of oil, then remove the spillovers. Haven't had an issue with them after that. Also greased the pins with caliper grease, so should be easier this summer when i need to change handbrake.

My impression is that it is the pins that can become jammed, they were though to get out, but with cleaning they were ok it seemed

• Like 1