Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Incoming calls displaying as Unknown

Loislane61

All incoming calls displaying as Unknown numbers on 2016 ct200h. This has only recently happened. All was OK before. Names are saved in phone (Samsung s20) and all is paired via Bluetooth correctly. The phone book in the car is displaying the names but incoming calls is not. Any advice as to what the problem could be. 

If you get an answer, I have same question. Also, a 2016. Difference: it has been like that always so I thought it is normal. Phonebook with names and all are in and music is playing just fine both via Bluetooth and line in. Can search the phonebook on the screen in the CT and call from there but no matter if person calling is in phonebook or not display says: unknown. Also Samsung.

I had a similar issue with my previous 2016 NX, and also a Samsung phone (Note 10+).

I solved it by adding the country prefix to all phone numbers.

i.e. 07710 123456 became +44 7710 123456

or 01703 555444 became +44 1703 555444

• Like 2

On 5/19/2021 at 2:30 PM, DanD said:

I had a similar issue with my previous 2016 NX, and also a Samsung phone (Note 10+).

All contacts in phone list have country code in them and all show as unknown.

On 5/19/2021 at 2:30 PM, DanD said:

+1 to that, it sorted my issue with caller ID.

Sometimes it's best if you unpair your phone and factory reset the head unit. It forces it to re-download the phonebook. I have no issues in 2016 CT&GS now with my Note10+ & S20

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

This is a strange one: sometimes incoming calls from, let's say, "Person A" come up in the car properly with their caller ID "Person A".  However, sometimes calls from "Person A" simply show as their number, rather than as "Person A".

I have all my address book numbers stored in full international format (+44.... etc) and when the caller ID fails, their number shows on the vehicle screen without the +44.  I am assuming therefore that sometimes, the incoming number is being acquired as +4478xxxx  etc... and sometimes as 078xxxx etc.  Thus, if it comes in with international prefix, caller ID works.  If not, it doesn't.

My hunch is that calls have the international prefix for VOLTE (HD) calls but not for regular calls.

Has anyone else seen this intermittent behaviour, and/or figured out what is going on?

I have already suggested to customer relations that this could be solved by matching only that last 10 digits of the phone number with the stored address book.

Paul

22 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Calls come in with name of person calling.

John, can I ask if VOLTE (4G calling) is enabled on your phone/network?  I still think the VOLTE/non-VOLTE mix of incoming calls is what is making this intermittent for me.

Paul

20 minutes ago, PDM said:

John, can I ask if VOLTE (4G calling) is enabled on your phone/network?  I still think the VOLTE/non-VOLTE mix of incoming calls is what is making this intermittent for me.

Paul

Do not know what Volte is. Here most phones sold are 5G. Our phones are 4G (do not need new when the ones we have are still good, just like the car).

Could be after some kind of update a month ago (which I first did not think actually did succeed). Could also be coincidense as the infotainment in our car is completely not easy to understand. Only thing about infotainment that is perfect is the ML audio.

Hi John, VOLTE=Voice Over LTE (where LTE is 4G).  Not all 4G phones are capable of doing VOLTE... I just got a new phone which is (Pixel 5) and now I have the intermittent caller ID sometimes working sometimes not...

I'll do some more digging.

Cheers,

Paul