Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paddles - every day's a school day

I'm going to be put into detention again by @royoftherovers, as I should have read the manual, but I've just read this on the Lexus site:

"To enter manual mode when the transmission is in ‘D’ position, simply pull the ‘-’ paddle. The initial shift range (from D2 to D5) is displayed in the instrument cluster and is automatically set according to the vehicle speed.

After the manual mode is activated, all steps from D1 to D6 become available, and can be selected by pulling the relevant paddle shift switch. However, the programme is designed to protect the engine from straying beyond the rev limits of each shift range. In such circumstances, the system will automatically select a gear that is more appropriate to the vehicle speed.

To return the transmission to its automatic ‘D’ function, simply pull the ‘+’ paddle until the shift range number disappears from the instrument cluster."

No need to put it in S then!

26 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I'm going to be put into detention again by @royoftherovers, as I should have read the manual, but I've just read this on the Lexus site:

"To enter manual mode when the transmission is in ‘D’ position, simply pull the ‘-’ paddle. The initial shift range (from D2 to D5) is displayed in the instrument cluster and is automatically set according to the vehicle speed.

After the manual mode is activated, all steps from D1 to D6 become available, and can be selected by pulling the relevant paddle shift switch. However, the programme is designed to protect the engine from straying beyond the rev limits of each shift range. In such circumstances, the system will automatically select a gear that is more appropriate to the vehicle speed.

To return the transmission to its automatic ‘D’ function, simply pull the ‘+’ paddle until the shift range number disappears from the instrument cluster."

That is true but the manual says about using the +- paddles/gear lever in D "To drive using temporary shift range selection, operate the “-” paddle shift switch. Changing the shift range enables the level of engine braking force to be selected." - this implies that when in D the +- paddles (or gear lever) are to increase engine braking and so avoiding constant use of brakes on long declines for example as you would in a conventional manual or auto (rather than for use all the time as pseudo sequential gears). It then goes on to describe the behaviour when +- paddles/gear lever are used in the S position: "To enter S mode, shift the shift lever to S. Shift ranges can be selected by operating the shift lever or paddle shift switches, allowing you to drive in the shift range of your choice." and "You can choose from 6 levels of accelerating force and engine braking force." So - the million dollar question, is there a difference in how the pseudo gear ranges are applied between D and S - for which the manual does not have anything to say...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

So - the million dollar question, is there a difference in how the pseudo gear ranges are applied between D and S - for which the manual does not have anything to say...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

We all live and learn James.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

So - the million dollar question, is there a difference in how the pseudo gear ranges are applied between D and S - for which the manual does not have anything to say...

I understood it to mean when using the paddles in D mode one only reduced the available shift range the car could automatically change in. As one would use on hilly roads to stop the car constantly changing up then down again. If one selected 4 then the would automatically change gear only in the range 1-4.

When putting the transmission into S mode the car would not change gear automatically unless to protect the engine from labouring or over revving.  In fact I think it will hold the revs at the red line, one hits the rev limiter but the car won't change up. The car will change down if one slows enough to stop the engine stalling

That's how it seems to work in my RC anyway ..

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I understood it to mean when using the paddles in D mode one only reduced the available shift range the car could automatically change in. As one would use on hilly roads to stop the car constantly changing up then down again. If one selected 4 then the would automatically change gear only in the range 1-4.

When putting the transmission into S mode the car would not change gear automatically unless to protect the engine from labouring or over revving.  In fact I think it will hold the revs at the red line, one hits the rev limiter but the car won't change up. The car will change down if one slows enough to stop the engine stalling

That's how it seems to work in my RC anyway ..

Para 1 is how it works in the Merc with Tiptronic.

I think you'll find even in shift mode with sport mode selected, it will auto up shift before hitting redline in both the IS and RC. They are identical as far as I know, but I could be wrong and maybe this is something the RC has over the IS, but sadly I doubt it...

2 hours ago, LordByronUK said:

I think you'll find even in shift mode with sport mode selected, it will auto up shift before hitting redline in both the IS and RC. They are identical as far as I know, but I could be wrong and maybe this is something the RC has over the IS, but sadly I doubt it...

Yes, you are correct, I tried this on the way home but it's not consistent. It seems if one accelerates up to the red line it will stay there, for a short period before shifting up. If one accelerates hard, foot to the floor, it will shift immediately if not just before the red line. (It was actually quite painful to try this, it's not the car's natural driving 'style' if that makes sense!)

The handbook does state if one accelerates whilst in ranges 1-4 the range may automatically shift up, in accordance with the vehicle speed.