Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Distance buying from franchise..

I have seen the car of my dreams..

Due to health problems the 3+ hours drive is beyond me.

It is from an approved Lexus franchise not a main dealer. I'm assured a Lexus (not 3rd party) 12 month warranty will be applied (so I can take it to a nearer dealership for any warranty issues) and it would have a new MOT done, a full service (major), and the 150 point checks etc. It would be driven to my home. Under distance selling rules, I could return the car if there was a problem with it. I'm guessing I'd need to involve a third party should that happen, but the option is there.

I'll be asking for certain details that were agreed over the phone to be confirmed in writing (email).

Has anybody got experience doing this?

How risky is it?

PS I have searched for months for such an example within a fair radius locally without success, hence ....

15 minutes ago, PJD69 said:

It is from an approved Lexus franchise not a main dealer. I'm assured a Lexus (not 3rd party) 12 month warranty will be applied (so I can take it to a nearer dealership for any warranty issues) and it would have a new MOT done, a full service (major), and the 150 point checks etc. It would be driven to my home. Under distance selling rules, I could return the car if there was a problem with it. I'm guessing I'd need to involve a third party should that happen, but the option is there.

I'll be asking for certain details that were agreed over the phone to be confirmed in writing (email).

How risky is it?

PS I have searched for months for such an example within a fair radius locally without success, hence ....

Hi Paul, I am new to Lexus but my previous posts will give you a flavour. My confusion is what exactly is an approved franchise? I bought my RX450H sight unseen from Lexus Newcastle and the processes in place are totally fine should it not work out. I have been very impressed. My one tip is to buy it via your credit card since this has consumer rights bulit in. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PJD69 said:

How risky is it?

Give us a link Paul and we`ll try to help you.

• Like 2

That's encouraging Phil. I will check your previous posts.

Guys, I may be using the terminology incorrectly? I have never bought a car via a dealer. 

It's one of the Jemca group.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Give us a link Paul and we`ll try to help you.

Thanks John, it might be best if I put a deposit down (which I'm on the brink of doing) before disclosing the link..

I've missed two opportunities doing this before!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PJD69 said:

Thanks John, it might be best if I put a deposit down (which I'm on the brink of doing) before disclosing the link..

I've missed two opportunities doing this before!

Paul, look at Kevin Hunter on YouTube, the one on leverage, before you do anything else 👍

• Like 2

Hi Paul, welcome to the LOC. Jemca are a Lexus main Dealer. I would have no worries about buying sight unseen as they are ultimately answerable to Lexus UK if any problems arise. I bought a LS 460 from Lexus NI after just seeing 5 photos on Autotrader (no problems).  My previous LS600 was purchased from Lexus Edgware Rd, (one of 3 sites that Lexus Jemca operate). Nice people to deal with.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, graham8370 said:

Hi Paul, welcome to the LOC. Jemca are a Lexus main Dealer. I would have no worries about buying sight unseen as they are ultimately answerable to Lexus UK if any problems arise. I bought a LS 460 from Lexus NI after just seeing 5 photos on Autotrader (no problems).  My previous LS600 was purchased from Lexus Edgware Rd, (one of 3 sites that Lexus Jemca operate). Nice people to deal with.

Agree with Graham totally, are you buying from jemca Toyota or Jemca  lexus? 

• Like 1

I bought my wifes IS300h unseen. No issues. Examine the photos well - main things to look for are kerbed wheels, seat wear and interior scratches. Gives you a reasonable idea of how the car has been looked after. 

Take a very good look around the car on delivery and any issues tell them straight away. It should be fine. Most used car buying nowadays is done online without seeing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rayaans said:

I bought my wifes IS300h unseen. No issues. Examine the photos well - main things to look for are kerbed wheels, seat wear and interior scratches. Gives you a reasonable idea of how the car has been looked after. 

Take a very good look around the car on delivery and any issues tell them straight away. It should be fine. Most used car buying nowadays is done online without seeing.

I agree this seems to be a trend but I would rather travel and reject a car than get one and have a load of hustle trying to sort out issues - especially at a distance. Buying from a Lexus franchise (blind) is about as good as you get or possibly Cazoo? 

1 minute ago, graham8370 said:

Paul, have just re-read the opening line of your post. Go for it, you'll be regretting it for quite a few years if you let it go.

Very interested to know which model!

Just now, Spacewagon52 said:

I agree this seems to be a trend but I would rather travel and reject a car than get one and have a load of hustle trying to sort out issues - especially at a distance. Buying from a Lexus franchise (blind) is about as good as you get or possibly Cazoo? 

Cazoo list the obvious faults by the looks of it. Things like scratches and stone chips. 

Ive had not issues buying from Lexus Franchise blind. Make sure there is a trail of emails, not a telephone conversation but mostly Lexus dealers are very good at describing the car providing you ask the right questions

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I would just be gutted for you if your dream car turned out to be a small nightmare.

Chaps, it's just a car! It's not a kidney dialysis machine that you need every hour 🤕, Distance selling regs plus a credit card gives you all the cover you need. Should it be the case that it doesn't meet your expectations then back it goes. Worst case is you have learned more than you knew before but critically tested those expectations against what is realistic for the price point you have in mind 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Chaps, it's just a car! It's not a kidney dialysis machine that you need every hour 🤕, Distance selling regs plus a credit card gives you all the cover you need. Should it be the case that it doesn't meet your expectations then back it goes. Worst case is you have learned more than you knew before but critically tested those expectations against what is realistic for the price point you have in mind 

It's always difficult when a particular model/colour you're after comes up for sale and it's nowhere near home, which always seems to happen.  On Tuesday I paid a deposit on a car in Staffordshire and I live in Sussex, I went to see it today and drove it home.  The thing is I very nearly bought it on the strength of the dealers video and had it delivered which would have meant paying in full before hand, not a comfortable feeling parting with 12k before you see the goods in the flesh!  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

The thing is I very nearly bought it on the strength of the dealers video and had it delivered which would have meant paying in full before hand, not a comfortable feeling parting with 12k before you see the goods in the flesh!  

I appreciate that not all dealers operate the same but this is not my experience. I bought my current car this way. Put a refundable £500.00 deposit down and the dealer brought the car to my house. It was only after a check over and test drive to confirm I was happy with the purchase that I then paid for it. If I found it was not for me they would have taken the car away and refunded my deposit. The only thing I would have been out of pocket from if the delivery charge but the way I see it if you have to travel a distance to see a car you will incur costs yourself.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

It's always difficult when a particular model/colour you're after comes up for sale and it's nowhere near home, which always seems to happen.  On Tuesday I paid a deposit on a car in Staffordshire and I live in Sussex, I went to see it today and drove it home.  The thing is I very nearly bought it on the strength of the dealers video and had it delivered which would have meant paying in full before hand, not a comfortable feeling parting with 12k before you see the goods in the flesh!  

Honda Phil?

6 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Honda Phil?

Yes, a 2015 CR-V.  I tried the 2 litre petrol one locally and it was absolutely gutless, so a friend drove me up to Burton on Trent this morning and I bought the 2.2 diesel, so much more power.  I really enjoyed the drive home, it's top spec with leather and all the toys.  Just as importantly, plenty of headroom for a tall Greyhound!

11 minutes ago, Chris111 said:

I appreciate that not all dealers operate the same but this is not my experience. I bought my current car this way. Put a refundable £500.00 deposit down and the dealer brought the car to my house. It was only after a check over and test drive to confirm I was happy with the purchase that I then paid for it. If I found it was not for me they would have taken the car away and refunded my deposit. The only thing I would have been out of pocket from if the delivery charge but the way I see it if you have to travel a distance to see a car you will incur costs yourself.

My delivery would have been £180, a fair amount to loose if I wasn't happy!

Just now, The-Acre said:

Yes, a 2015 CR-V.  I tried the 2 litre petrol one locally and it was absolutely gutless, so a friend drove me up to Burton on Trent this morning and I bought the 2.2 diesel, so much more power.  I really enjoyed the drive home, it's top spec with leather and all the toys.  Just as importantly, plenty of headroom for a tall Greyhound!

Excellent! We want to see a photo of a smiling greyhound in the back!

2 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Excellent! We want to see a photo of a smiling greyhound in the back!

Ok, I'll post some picks in the next couple of days, I'd better not hijack this post though!