Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Distance buying from franchise..

6 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Also it’s worrying that you have had to replace all four tyres so soon after purchase, was this for legal (low tread) or other reasons (mixed makes) ?

They were legal but needed replacing soon, my son in law got a good price through work.. too good an offer to refuse... Got money knocked off price  of the car at purchase to reflect that..

4 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

How did you pay for the car? Why did you change the tyres? How long is the Mot? 

My son in law paid via bank transfer, not is 9-10 months .. got a deal on tyres and knocked them down on purchase price...due to being near limit.

Well I've had a video from the dealership, and besides being grainy, these videos don't tell you much at all.

It would help if the cars were prepped before being offered for sale!

The car was started up.. and I didn't hear the usual 5 or so chimes, I'm searching through the manual to find out what that means!

Anyone in the Kent area fancy checking a car out for a few beers? 🍺

1 hour ago, PJD69 said:

Well I've had a video from the dealership, and besides being grainy, these videos don't tell you much at all.

It would help if the cars were prepped before being offered for sale!

The car was started up.. and I didn't hear the usual 5 or so chimes, I'm searching through the manual to find out what that means!

Anyone in the Kent area fancy checking a car out for a few beers? 🍺

Yes for some reason many Lexus dealers don't prep cars before sticking them on the forecourt whereas BMW and Mercedes usually will in my experience.

I looked at an IS at Jemca in Reading. The front discs were badly lipped and clearly needed changing. As a matter of fact its a little tester I do on most forecourts, run your finger over the edge of the brake discs . When I pointed this out the salesman simply said it had been through their 100 point check or whatever it is- not good enough on a £20k car. When I pointed out the general condition of the bodywork he said 'that will be sorted', I wasn't convinced.  

The same with Lexus, Bristol. I actually purchased an ex demo from there but same again, small marks on the bodywork (not prepped) but I went around the car with the salesman and pointed out every blemish, he noted them down. On collection and before paying the balance I closely examined the car and all was good.

There are a couple of threads recently, a new LC500 delivered with damage, an RCF on sale at a Lexus dealer that needs clearly a respray. 

As you say a video won't tell you much, a pair of cynical eyes on a dry day will tell you everything.   

Also ask to see the history. A Lexus approved history doesn't mean it has a FULL history.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 4:38 PM, PJD69 said:

Due to health problems the 3+ hours drive is beyond me.

I understand and appreciate that as I have health issues that affect my day-to-day life too, but it seems to me that you're just not going to be happy without seeing it in the flesh, so to speak.

Could you not make a short break of the trip and stay overnight somewhere to break up the journey - treat it as a couple of days holiday?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malc said:

biggish County ,,,  can you be more location specific ?

Malc

Hi Malc. It's Lexus Sidcup.

56 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I understand and appreciate that as I have health issues that affect my day-to-day life too, but it seems to me that you're just not going to be happy without seeing it in the flesh, so to speak.

Could you not make a short break of the trip and stay overnight somewhere to break up the journey - treat it as a couple of days holiday?

Have considered this, but nope.. can't even. Indeed poor health is one of the reasons I've been pursuing a car with a reputation for reliability (initially I was looking at BMW Z4.. which is the other extreme) alongside pleasure - one never knows what the future holds.

I'm closing in on this car now so I hope to report my happiness on its arrival. If Lexus live up to their brand  reputation I'll be delighted. I've done some digging on the history and it's the usual, wear items on services and MOTs tyres and brakes etc, nothing alarming. Short of an RAC inspection or similar I don''t know what other safeguards I can put in place. Lexus have made a number of commitments for the car to be in sound order which I shall be getting in writing before payment is transferred.

I have seen cases @doog442 of customers being delighted and disappointed on the forum here, but there is quite an onus on Lexus to deliver the goods - ultimately distance selling regulations are there and it would serve neither party if the car had to go back.

• Like 3

Is it a recent car (4-5 years old) or older (10-13 years old)? Just curiosity. I am looking for a 2008/11 GS450H in Ireland and my wife still thinks it would be too old, so I wonder if here members are still buying 13 year old cars. 

14 minutes ago, serbarry said:

Is it a recent car (4-5 years old) or older (10-13 years old)? Just curiosity. I am looking for a 2008/11 GS450H in Ireland and my wife still thinks it would be too old, so I wonder if here members are still buying 13 year old cars. 

Yes, but with care and my heart in my mouth! Provided it has a good service history and the MOT history does not show major issues. Yes you take a chance, I have been extremely pleased with my RX 300 and RX 400h purchased as older cars. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PJD69 said:

Hi Malc. It's Lexus Sidcup.

Not to put a downer on anything, but I would check the car very carefully if buying from Sidcup.

When I bought my car from there, it was by no means prepared to an acceptable standard and some of the faults were very obvious!  It was my fault that I didn't check it properly before taking it away.

However, to the dealer's credit, they did fix everything properly when I took it back, albeit I had to return to Sidcup to get the work done. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Steve67 said:

My son in law paid via bank transfer, not is 9-10 months .. got a deal on tyres and knocked them down on purchase price...due to being near limit.

Don't get fixated on the tyres Steve, plenty of places will sell you used tyres to change back to for little cost should you decide to send the car back. But I think you need to be clear in your own mind as to "what would make you happy"? Then put your case to the dealer in writing as to the current situation, how you wish it resolved and the consequences financial and otherwise if you are unable to agree a suitable conclusion. The "in writing" is vital and send multiple copies to key managers if it's a large dealership 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Don't get fixated on the tyres Steve, plenty of places will sell you used tyres to change back to for little cost should you decide to send the car back. But I think you need to be clear in your own mind as to "what would make you happy"? Then put your case to the dealer in writing as to the current situation, how you wish it resolved and the consequences financial and otherwise if you are unable to agree a suitable conclusion. The "in writing" is vital and send multiple copies to key managers if it's a large dealership 

email is a valid alternative to "in writing" and does not require evidence of receipt.

11 hours ago, serbarry said:

My son in law has just got a 11 yrs old IS250 the . 1 owner with 16k warranted miles . Apart from needing new tyres and a wheel bearing that is humming it's like a new car..it just finding good cars these days, but they are out there..

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

email is a valid alternative to "in writing" and does not require evidence of receipt.

Thank you John, yes, I believe these days using the term "in writing" is applicable to most modern forms of communication in addition to the traditional method. However I would venture to say an "old fashioned" letter tends to carry more weight than being one of a hundred emails received a day? 

1 hour ago, Steve67 said:

My son in law has just got a 11 yrs old IS250 the . 1 owner with 16k warranted miles . Apart from needing new tyres and a wheel bearing that is humming it's like a new car..it just finding good cars these days, but they are out there..

I must admit I see the price of some decade older IS250's and they look excellent value. In relation to the humming, before getting the bearing replaced it might be worth double checking there's no build up of rust on the outer disc contacting the back plate, or the plate itself could be distorted contacting the disc. Similar to this video. Apologies if you've jacked it up and already covered this, however it can sound like a bearing on its way out.  

14 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Thank you John, yes, I believe these days using the term "in writing" is applicable to most modern forms of communication in addition to the traditional method. However I would venture to say an "old fashioned" letter tends to carry more weight than being one of a hundred emails received a day? 

Depends who is Judging Phil. Now, if it were Lord Denning, then I would agree.

What is just as important as the letter and its contents, is evidence of it having been received by the person to whom it was sent.

signed........Phil&Roy inc🤣

8 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Depends who is Judging Phil. Now, if it were Lord Denning, then I would agree.

What is just as important as the letter and its contents, is evidence of it having been received by the person to whom it was sent.

signed........Phil&Roy inc🤣

Lord Denning Master of the Rolls as I recall yet I cannot recall a picture of any sausage roll or Swiss roll he ever judged? 🤔

11 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Lord Denning Master of the Rolls as I recall yet I cannot recall a picture of any sausage roll or Swiss roll he ever judged? 🤔

Then, you are looking on the wrong Clapham Omnibus !

58 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Then, you are looking on the wrong Clapham Omnibus !

Crikey John if that were the case and as an ordinary bloke not sure if I could afford a Swiss roll let alone a ticket for a big six wheeler, scarlet painted 97 hp omnibus 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Not to put a downer on anything, but I would check the car very carefully if buying from Sidcup.

When I bought my car from there, it was by no means prepared to an acceptable standard and some of the faults were very obvious!  It was my fault that I didn't check it properly before taking it away.

However, to the dealer's credit, they did fix everything properly when I took it back, albeit I had to return to Sidcup to get the work done. 

Seems a bit hit and miss regarding prep, and I've read the thread where I think it was @Linas.P was supplied with absolutely unacceptable tyres, and another where a car was supplied with worn out brake pads which resulted in the metal on metal situation.. but most of the anecdotes I'm reading are of cars that are mechanically sound, with more of the issues being around presentation and valeting? Although there seems to be some question marks about what the 150 point check involves, and whether it's actually performed in all cases. Don't they not provide the report to customers?

I do feel that Lexus would be as gutted as myself to see the car being returned on a transporter! Trust me that is exactly what would happen if it failed to live up to expectations. If it was local I could of course get my trusted mechanic to verify the car, whom I have 100% confidence in. Naturally, every car I have found that fits my criteria is hours away, with the F-Sports typically being on the south coast. 

Well there is this shiny example which is absolutely stunning in ultrasonic blue! IS250 F-Sport. A nice looking car for those keen on a dramatic colour, but that is, of course... even further away!

spacer.png

To further add to the complications I'm now reading that the Essential Care program is ending? This was an incentive to buy Lexus. The car I'm looking at is just a snip over 10 years old, otherwise I'd consider the cost of the extended warranty, but if I'm not mistaken, that's only for cars under 10 years.

18 minutes ago, PJD69 said:

To further add to the complications I'm now reading that the Essential Care program is ending?

It has ended as far as I can tell; no option to select it/buy it anymore.

So have you now committed to buy the car or not, because this is torture. I'm losing what little hair I have left in wondering how this is all going to end  :laughing:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, PJD69 said:

@Linas.P -  where a car was supplied with worn out brake pads which resulted in the metal on metal situation...

Although there seems to be some question marks about what the 150 point check involves, and whether it's actually performed in all cases. Don't they not provide the report to customers?

Mine one was with non-existent brakes where after less than 3000 miles rear pads were already metal on metal and front ones were ~1mm left. As well discs themselves were worn past minimum recommended thickness.

I must say that after little bit of arguing Lexus gave in and replaced all brakes and pad for free + did free MOT. However the key part in the story was that I had all discussion in e-mail so they could not argue much. 

In my opinion 150 points check is little bit of a joke, because it is Lexus scoring themselves, so it is not independent and clearly has some conflict in interests. I would assume margin on used cars sale is low, especially on ex-lease cars, so fixing every detail would make dealers unprofitable.

All in all, I would not be afraid buying car distantly, but I would keep all discussion in writing and would inspect car very carefully after deliver, even better during delivery. If anything a miss I would reject the car on the sport or would ask dealership to commit to fixing all the issues free of charge. 

Actually, distant buying is even better when it comes to statutory rights - because if you missed something during the test drive when you are under pressure and excited it could be argued it wasn't broken as you would have seen it. Whereas when you buying distantly, that is further reason for your to say - "it was there, I just could not notice, because I bought the car distantly". This leaves you more time to carefully inspect the car without any pressure from sales person and at the time and place convenient for you.

Statutory rights still applies even if you test drove the car as all fault are considered to be pre-existent up to 6 month after purchase, but it may be harder to argue some wear and tear items. Whereas on distant sale you could reject the car and don't even feel bad about it.  As simple as - if it wasn't in the description, then you could not know about it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Herbie said:

It has ended as far as I can tell; no option to select it/buy it anymore.

So have you now committed to buy the car or not, because this is torture. I'm losing what little hair I have left in wondering how this is all going to end  :laughing:

I'm finding this process very exciting.

I have no hair left to speak of. 😄

Lottery tonight mind you, and tbh I think my numbers 'look right'. 

12 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Mine one was with non-existent brakes where after less than 3000 miles rear pads were already metal on metal and front ones were ~1mm left. As well discs themselves were worn past minimum recommended thickness.

I must say that after little bit of arguing Lexus gave in and replaces all brakes and pad for 3 + did free MOT. However the key part in the story was that I had all discussion in e-mail so they could not argue much.

If it doesn't mean a return to Sidcup - that works for me.

I can at least see from the history that the discs and breaks have been done relatively recently! Been in that 'no pads left' situation before.. it's somewhat disconcerting.

19 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

All in all, I would not be afraid buying car distantly, but I would keep all discussion in writing and would inspect car very carefully after deliver, even better during delivery. If anything a miss I would reject the car on the sport or would ask dealership to commit to fixing all the issues free of charge. 

Tough call with an exhausted delivery driver on your doorstep waiting for a lift to the train station!

It sounds like 'alls well that ends well' in your case, so that's pleasing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links