Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Japanese BMW (IS300 Indicators not working)

Firstly, Hi to everyone who is still here who remembers me, I haven't been here since Oct 2018, currently in the process of running my IS300 into the ground, I went from 49k to 100k in 11 years so I reckon another 20 years and i'll be at 200k maybe, anyway...

i'm a little confused with a minor issue, I got in the car today to find the indicators/hazards not working, all I get is a fast clicking from the footwell, and my knowledge is only a little above 0, I checked the fuse box under the bonnet and the signal fuse looks fine, swapped it anyway and it made no difference, the one in the drivers side footwell I can't comfortably access without hanging half out of the car, but today i'm hampered by terrible weather so i'll have a look at it tomorrow as its apparently less moist tomorrow, however the one in the footwell appears to cover several items not just the signals, but the other stuff works, and that doesn't fit my logic...?

what am I missing please?

I appreciate until I can have a proper look any advice is purely speculative, but if I can have a few ideas I can check everything all in one go tomorrow, thanks in advance

7 minutes ago, lexus22 said:

Sounds more likes relay problem rather than a fuse.

Would it have the rapid clicking if the relay was broken?

On 5/21/2021 at 11:09 PM, lexus22 said:

Yes

Ok tried another relay but the problem persists, it was a used relay so could also be faulty, but assuming it isn't the relay, could anyone suggest anything else, surely a blown bulb wouldn't cause this would it? I've ordered a full set of bulbs but I don't want to head towards a 3 figure bill for something stupid

31 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Diagram shown below, main fuse is the 10A gauge fuse.

I take it you are still using bulbs and not swopped out for LEDs ?

B8C6CEE2-A2CE-498F-A5BC-610952A223B3.png

I have no idea how to read a wiring diagram

By guage fuse do you mean the instrument cluster? As the speedo does have leds in and the one at the rev counter has failed already, so if I change those back to normal bulbs and check that fuse that could be a fix?

That could be the problem, fuses generally supply multiple systems and cheap LEDs are known to go faulty. I would check the fuse first to see if it has blown, it should be inside the footwell fuse box and the lid is usually marked with each fuse position.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this as I still haven't fixed it...

I think it might be down to a bad earth, everything else has made no difference, 

Can anyone tell me how to find a bad earth without showing me a diagram that I can't understand, but instead showing me photos of their is300, where I can see exactly what to look for and where exactly?

Thanks in advance

Each indicator bulb has its own earth so 6 earths altogether and the chances of all of them failing at the same time all over the car is very slim.

The problem is to access the earths to photograph each one would probably mean removing the front bumper, wings and boot interior trim.

If you have checked the fuse I suggested and it is good the fault would point to the flasher relay unit.

Perhaps a visit to an independent auto electrician would be the best solution.

6 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Each indicator bulb has its own earth so 6 earths altogether and the chances of all of them failing at the same time all over the car is very slim.

The problem is to access the earths to photograph each one would probably mean removing the front bumper, wings and boot interior trim.

If you have checked the fuse I suggested and it is good the fault would point to the flasher relay unit.

Perhaps a visit to an independent auto electrician would be the best solution.

That's my next option, I've had 3 relays in it as all the fuses are fine, 3 faulty relays would be just as slim a chance I'm guessing?

I tried looking up how to test relays but all the info I can find is on 3 pin relays not 8, and I can't figure out which pin is which on these 8 pin ones

The old fashion relay or “Flasher unit” was a 3 pin bi-metallic device but like most things have now gone electronic and generally involve ECUs so unless you are competent in electronics there is no way to test but having fitted 3 I think you have eliminated that part.

If you were local I would have taken a look for you but the auto electrician is now the route to take I feel.