Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wiper Blade Rubber Refills

BoutTime

Hi All. Has anyone gone down the route of replacing just the rubbers on their wipers? If so can you advise on where you bought them from?

LexusPartsDirect sell a kit but it's for the complete wipers which appear to be different to what's already fitted.

The Rubber inserts just slide in and out.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

Hi All. Has anyone gone down the route of replacing just the rubbers on their wipers? If so can you advise on where you bought them from?

LexusPartsDirect sell a kit but it's for the complete wipers which appear to be different to what's already fitted.

The Rubber inserts just slide in and out.

Thanks in advance.

That is a very interesting question. Why should we change the metal if possible, to buy only the rubber part of windshield wipers?

As with many other things when asking to get new rubber to my windshield wipers here when car was being serviced did not get new rubber.

Is it possible to buy just the rubber? Somebody here must know.

If Lexusparts only sell wipers complete and the rubber is available then it is wrong. Enough landfil exist without adding more.

6 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I have the wiper blades replaced at each service and Lexus have always fitted just the rubbers. In fact last year they gave me 50% off the parts price and fitted them FOC!

Do you have the spare-part number or details?

It looks like I have Hybrid Wipers produced by ‘Blades’. From what I can see you can cut the rubber to suit and they can be bought for around £4 a pop online. But it’s not easy to know for sure you are getting the right part. My service isn’t due until September and my drivers and rear blades need replacing now. I think I’ll just get the full set from Lexus Parts Direct.

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Do you have the spare-part number or details?

85214-30380 right

85214-33180 left

This is for the RC300h. I think the first number is generic for the insert and the second is model specific?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

85214-30380 right

85214-33180 left

This is for the RC300h. I think the first number is generic for the insert and the second in model specific?

£19.51 for just the driver's side rubber. I bought the full wiper set (front and rear) for £31 including delivery.

11 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

At that price it's a no brainer.

You can get the OEM blades which are denso from the likes of eurocarparts for quite cheap 

1 hour ago, BoutTime said:

It looks like I have Hybrid Wipers produced by ‘Blades’. From what I can see you can cut the rubber to suit and they can be bought for around £4 a pop online. But it’s not easy to know for sure you are getting the right part. My service isn’t due until September and my drivers and rear blades need replacing now. I think I’ll just get the full set from Lexus Parts Direct.

Why not ask Lexus parts for just the rubber? I did that and expect to get an answer Monday.

I ALWAYS used to buy just the wiper RUBBERS from the Lexus / Toyota parts dept and they were brilliant, lasted maybe 3 yrs / 40k miles UNTIL the last time ( 3/4 years ago )  when I realised the stock being sold probably matched the age of my car and the premature deterioration in use was marked !.... and at £20+ a set for two rubbers seemed a silly extravagance

My indy mechanic then, at the annual MOT and service, supplied just the rubbers at a fraction of the price and they seem to last a good 18 months / 18k miles or so and I'm happy at that

Takes him just moments to change .....  on the original arms I think...  probably :unsure:

Malc

to remove the refills grab the rubber and give it a good pull

the 2 metal arms will then need putting in the new refills

the refill will then slide in

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

Thanks. I bought the full set of three from LexusPartsDirect for £31.50 delivered.

Well. These are with metal and I just want the rubber. Do not want to add more landfill than absolutely needed.

On 5/22/2021 at 5:11 PM, Las Palmas said:

Why not ask Lexus parts for just the rubber? I did that and expect to get an answer Monday.

Got the answer.

The rubber is as expensive as complete with metal. Lexus is stupid to make people buy more than needed.

Lexus/Toyota seem to have gone over to a what they call Optifit Uniblades covering all of their cars. On my IS300h at the last service they found a wiper rubber had split (it was some 4 years since they were replaced) - I thought they would change just the rubbers but they fitted whole new blades. When I looked up the part number on the invoice they were actually listed for the ES - but a bit more digging and I found that the Optifit Uniblades are factory fit on the ES and UX (maybe others) and so I am assuming that any stock of the old rubber only replacement parts are being phased out and Optifit Uniblades fitted instead when replacements are due. There are a range of sizes under the following part numbers: 85222-YZZT* where the * is a size (length) letter from A to Z - in my case the two blades were 85222-YZZTD and 85222-YZZTH. To be fair, the price I believe was no more expensive than just replacing the rubbers - they look very similar to the originals on the car and performance of the wipers is excellent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If any of you guys want to spend a lot of time reading about windshield wipers:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-windshield-wipers-for-your-car/

https://www.autoguide.com/best-windshield-wipers

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/28214/best-silicone-wiper-blades

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/best-windshield-wipers/

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/27417/best-windshield-wipers

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/accessories/best-windshield-wipers/

Seems that rubber alone is not in and also that the best to get is from Bosch the model called Icon. They have them in 26 and 18 as needed for the CT, so if Lexus here is impossible to get just the rubber from I think I will buy the Icon wipers.

Long live the landfill of just like new metal parts for windshield wipers.