Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Button PWR ECT Just discovered

Found this today in my Lexus is 250c 

i flicked it on put in sport  and used the paddle Shift and nearly gave myself a heart attack the extra power it gave and raw to the engine 

8F00DFAC-A7D2-441A-9C2D-107440C9EA6C.jpeg

even got this  PWR ECT  on my 1995 limo

Don't notice the oomph difference tho very much :wink3:  but strangely it does seem to improve mpg when on PWR

Malc

It adds no power, but makes accelerator more sensitive. Apart of that, not much change just that instead of needing to press accelerator all the way to the floor you could get same result by pressing it half way. Generally not a bad thing, but sadly it as well unnecessary keeps gear very low for long time... so for example if you overtook the car, the engine will stay in 3rd gear/5000RPM for excessive amount of time instead of shifting back to more reasonable 5/6th gear at 60MPH.

I personally left it on ETC (in some car called Normal) as I could achieve the same thing by simply pressing accelerator further, but without downside of gearbox getting stuck in too low gear for too long. On normal mode it shift-up as soon as you release the accelerator and I much prefer that.

Yes I did notice this as I could hear the engine racing in a lower gear and sounded very concerning . 
mid it bad for the car @Linas.P

it doesn’t sound like it’s doing the engine any good I just used it along the 30pmh roads not above 40mph where I was able to. 

It certainly doesn't hurt the engine as long as everything else is in good order i.e. oil level is correct and car is regularly services. 4GR-FSE likes to be revved and the higher it goes the better it sounds... so as far as hurting the car I would not be concerned. However, it just feels wrong when you cursing along after lifting the accelerator and car just revs itself for no reason... feel literally like gearbox fault/stuck in gear. Further it has effect of engine braking, meaning the car slows down much faster after letting off the accelerator - again not entirely desirable if one just wants to cruise along after overtaking.   

yeah it does seem concerning with the car still revving while cruising felt strange but I liked the extra acceleration power .. but I guess it’s there for a reason  so I will use it for fun...

Yeah the car is well maintained and looked after. It  had a leisurely life till I got my hands on it 😂 

11 hours ago, Linas.P said:

5/6th gear at 60MPH.

oh my, don't think my 4ltrs has that many gears :wink3:, nor do I worry about shifting up and down........... .  she seems to excel at giving all the power she and I need when in situations deserving of it .....  like beating the pants off boy racers in their go-faster tin cans, say at the traffic lights or tricky manoeuvres, overtaking etc

she just flies when needs arise :yes:

Malc

The situation at the traffic lights on a dual carriageway with a 60 limit when you have pole position in the left lane then the “victim” arrives alongside you in lane 2.

The statutory casual glance over to eyeball the now slightly unnerved driver looking back and the colour draining from their face after finally realising they don’t stand a chance of ending up in front.

The smug smile as the lights change with guaranteed knowledge they will appear in you rear view mirror in 3 seconds with a frustrated BMW rep mobile inches off his bumper.

• Like 1

I seem to remember a thread or three regarding this button. The gist was that when it was used for the very first time then switched off the car ran differently and not quite the same as before. I don't think there were any underlying issues. Personally I think it's just a placebo effect. Yes the button at PWR does improve throttle response and is great for quick acceleration as it'll keep the revs higher fir longer which the car actually likes.

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

it'll keep the revs higher fir longer which the car actually likes.

Same could be achieved by simply planting the foot all the way down straight away instead of progressively pressing the pedal. And you right - car doesn't mind high revs from time to time. 

Just for fellow owners interest. As it may or not be known I travel to Leeds from Rochdale to see the missus (long story). I'm in Leeds now and for the sake of interest I drove my car with the PWR button on and in 'manual ' mode where the gear was set to 4th. I kept the revs at 5 thousand and left it there whilst on the motorway. When I got off onto the M621 I floored it. Wow what a beautiful noise at a constant 7k revs. So sweet the car was loving it. Ooooops I looked at the speedo and thought I'd better throttle off.

My car loved that trip as when I got out to listen to the engine it was purring like a kitten. 

Oh yes our engines love to be revved.

Oh and as a side fuel economy didn't suffer.

Ok I'm back home now and have to correct myself. Errrrrrr fuel economy on my way their was really affected like av of 22.3mpg. Coming  back at legal speeds and a bit over at times 35.5mpg.

• Like 1

No. I drove in 4th gear all the way at 5k revs. Even floored it in 4th to 7k revs. That's why fuel economy was in the 20's. It was interesting and fun. Car runs better for it. I highly recommend it regularly. 

Mr Vlad ,most of us enjoy a bit of fun as you have described ,and for sure the engine benefits from it .In my youth! this was known as an Italian Tune Up  

Cheers Dave

More effective than the snow button. On a Corvette traction control is only connected to a bulb on the dash which reads “you have just spun”