Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Window Tinting

Has anyone had aftermarket window tints done?

I read that some of the tints were metalised and wonder if this could affect the DAB radio aerial in the rear screen.

My CT had factory tints which I liked, and my IS is black so I think would suit them.

• Like 1

I have transparent Llumar UV protection in front door windows and all other windows (except windshield) including sun roof a little darker tint.

Llumar has dark folie as well but here it is only permitted in rear windows.

• Like 2

when  you look at metalised tints when nyou move your head you'll see colours appearing

you can get just plain black tints they are measured in %

remember a 5% tint is darker than a 15% tint as the % refers to how much light can pass through

the tint film.

on a previous car i had a 5% tint and at night i found it difficult to see out so beware once its

fitted its not coming off so make sure you make the right choice when you buy.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 200h said:

when  you look at metalised tints when nyou move your head you'll see colours appearing

you can get just plain black tints they are measured in %

remember a 5% tint is darker than a 15% tint as the % refers to how much light can pass through

the tint film.

on a previous car i had a 5% tint and at night i found it difficult to see out so beware once its

fitted its not coming off so make sure you make the right choice when you buy.

I just saw the metallised quote on one of the places that does it. Definately just want black, nothing fancy.

Out of interest, what is the percentage on standard fit?

This is the front doors film:

https://www.llumar.com/automotive-film/types-of-automotive-film/clear-window-tint

Have UV Monitor and tell me that when UV outside is 12 behind the glass it is now 0; wihtout film only windshield has UV protection on almost all cars. Looking out the front door windows is same as the windshield without film.

Other doors and sun-roof have a darker film, but not more than it still is possible to look out even at night. Looking in through rear door windows it is not easy to see who is inside.

Llumar film is recommended by us.

They also have paint protection film, but I believe that is for more expensive cars than the one we have.

https://www.llumar.com/automotive-film/types-of-automotive-film/car-paint-protection-film

Paid 300 Euro for film installed in a workshop recommended by Llumar. Lexus here wanted 450 Euro for just the 2 front doors.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Arqum said:

What grade did you have put on the rear? 20%?

I honestly don't know. I just said factory look. He said it was medium tint whatever that means. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Interesting thread ...

I've been thinking about no-tint window tinting, more for UV protection etc.

Or the least tint.

Ceramic appeals...for the side windows.

1 hour ago, PCM said:

Interesting thread ...

I've been thinking about no-tint window tinting, more for UV protection etc.

Or the least tint.

Ceramic appeals...for the side windows.

LLumar has transparent tint. front doors in our CT are as clear as before I had the film on them. 99.95% UV protection. Have a UV detection device (skin cancer (have ugly pictures from before surgery)) and it tell me when UV outside is 12, inside there is 0. Rear doors and sunroof 40%, difficult to look into, but from inside no problems looking out.

image.thumb.png.495a54173daccab8ff5467d862632a3f.png

https://www.llumar.com/automotive-film/types-of-automotive-film/clear-window-tint

Like the look of your vehicle as-is but want to upgrade the performance of your factory auto glass? LLumar® AIR clear window film is the solution. It has the same, proven nano-ceramic construction used in premium auto tint, minus the window-darkening color.

Parking space in town are made for Fiat 500 (the old ones).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PCM said:

LLumar looks very good. Not heard of it before. Thank you.

Some say that 40% mean that 40% light get through the film and some say that 40% make the windows look 40% darker.

Very satisfied with the film. Supposed to be scratch proof but how would I know. Do not usually scratch windows. Heating/demist on the rear window seems not to damage the film.

• Like 1