Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Really surprised yesterday to notice one of the plastic 'wheel spoke inserts' is missing from one of the wheels on my 2017 Premier.

I assume they must be a push fit and that it ha sprung out when hitting a pothole.

More than a little disappointed as no doubt it will be expensive to replace.  

Edited by olliesgrandad
spelling

That's bad luck.  Another possibility is that somebody stole it to replace a lost/damaged one or for a collection.  My father had the bonnet badge prised out of his BMW.  It needs some effort to do this as I replaced mine due to wear.  I also replaced the wheel centers for the same reason.  I bought all these replacements that were easily available on ebay.  The quality was very good and they are still in place years later. I doubt these are so readily available for Lexus though so probably means a replacement from Lexus. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info folks. I've ordered a replacement from Lexus Parts Direct and even with a healthy 16% discount with shipping it comes to £24.01.

So if they got lost from all 4 wheels it would be a staggering £380.

More worrying is the fact that they just clip in.

I believe it probaly flew off while driving.

Could seriously injure  a pedestrian or someone following

3 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Thanks for the info folks. I've ordered a replacement from Lexus Parts Direct and even with a healthy 16% discount with shipping it comes to £24.01.

So if they got lost from all 4 wheels it would be a staggering £380.

More worrying is the fact that they just clip in.

I believe it probaly flew off while driving.

Could seriously injure  a pedestrian or someone following

My maths may not be the sharpest around here - - - - but how many wheels does your RX have?   😬

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Illogan said:

My maths may not be the sharpest around here - - - - but how many wheels does your RX have?   😬

There are 5 inserts on one wheel

Just now, Barry14UK

I also assumed it was the central Insignia logo insert but should it not be 4 for each wheel if you have locking wheel nuts?

No there are 5 per wheel. They are large plastic inserts which clip into the alloy wheels.
I checked the wheel concerned and think it might be one Lexus replaced under warranty. If so it might be an issue with Lexus using the old inserts.
I have made Lexus Customer Services aware as this is a safety related issue.

6 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I also assumed it was the central Insignia logo insert but should it not be 4 for each wheel if you have locking wheel nuts?

They are fitted within the spokes, not the wheel nuts:

206024688_Screenshot2021-05-25at17_11_57.thumb.png.28f3883f9d2421034d48c04d0fe322ea.png

• Like 1

Another day - and another new box ticked in my history of education.

Every day is a leaning* day

(or a learning day - depending whether one is a tutor or person from Pisa)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Illogan said:

Another day - and another new box ticked in my history of education.

Every day is a leaning* day

(or a learning day - depending whether one is a tutor or person from Pisa)

+1

Are these for asthetic reasons or to asist brake cooling?  Just glad mine is a 3 series!

7 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Are these for asthetic reasons or to asist brake cooling?  Just glad mine is a 3 series!

Aesthetics only. Weight saving compared to having those areas filled in with aluminium. Unfortunately due to the design/mounting holes you need them - doesn't look good if they are removed.

1364476997_Screenshot2021-05-26at08_46_53.thumb.png.17c4da732962e3f3c0514e4d2bf0f861.png

On 5/25/2021 at 10:37 AM, Barry14UK said:

I did as well Les. You had your tyres changes a while back. Could it have come loose then ? or been disturbed ?  I've always found the wheels on the premier and now the Takumi don't look as good as the next level down whatever that's called.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:12 PM, ColinBarber said:

They are fitted within the spokes, not the wheel nuts:

206024688_Screenshot2021-05-25at17_11_57.thumb.png.28f3883f9d2421034d48c04d0fe322ea.png

Just had a look at mine, seems like mine won't have that problem.

20210528_081905.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, stringbender
On 5/25/2021 at 10:37 AM, Barry14UK said:

I did as well Les. You had your tyres changes a while back. Could it have come loose then ? or been disturbed ?  I've always found the wheels on the premier and now the Takumi don't look as good as the next level down whatever that's called.

I had one wheel replaced last year under new car warranty. Having looked at the car I think that it is a component refitted to the new wheel. I have received the new insert and will fit it tomorrow.