Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Decided to trade in my 14 450h  Premier for a 18 Gs450 Premier running very well but tyres are a bit noisy they are Bridestone Potenza the car had been stood awhile at Lexus Tonbridge wells so i took it to my local Tyre depot .

They said the tyres are showing signs of perishing(maybe with it being stood) but the lad said when he rubbed hand over tyre the back tyres were concaved said at some time they have been over inflated and only running on the out sides of the  tyre said i exoect that s why they noisy.

As any one experienced this before because they are noisy.

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

• Like 5

Great vehicle choice there! 

My F Sport runs the same Potenza's although the rears are slightly wider in my model at 265mm. Can confirm they are definitely on the louder side however I believe that's more to do with the size of the contact patch. I had the rears replaced last year and have not noticed a change in sound level so they don't seem to get louder with wear. Cardiff Lexus have managed to downgrade me to a lower Bridgestone Potenza model during my last tyre change on the fronts however - from RE050A to S001's - I have noticed a slight overall grip level change however they are quieter. What tyre size and model do you currently have? 

Overall, an overinflated tyre is thought to be the quieter one as opposed to an under inflated rubber. If it has been neglected and over inflated for a while it may have caused the rubber to experience plastic deformation - which although I am yet to experience myself, could have an effect on the tyre performance.

It may be worth searching through online results to find a better/quieter alternative as long as that is a cost effective option for yourself. Personally, I'd wait until it was time to change the tyres and see if the new ones improve your ride quality. 

That looks a fantastic car Robert. Facelift S4 GS450h are a rare car.

With regard to the tyres are you saying the tyre fitter said that the rears have been run over inflated in the past? And that now they are run at the correct pressure, because the central tread has worn faster due to the over inflation, the tyres are now just running with the inner and outer edges in contact with the road? I have no experience of this but on my previous S3 450h the Dunlop sportmaxx 2 tyres on the rear were 'stepping' (also termed 'sawtooth') and were as a result vey noisy. I replaced them with Michelin CC's and it was much quieter. I would guess that any tyre that hasn't worn evenly across the tread width will be subject to louder running noises. In your case it may be the exaggerated sound of the air running through the centre part of the tyre because the tread is lower. It's similar, I think, to the way that you hear the tyre roar generated by big 4x4's fitted with huge off road tyres when they travel on tarmacked roads because of the air rushing through the large gaps in the tread pattern. It is also worth noting that Bridgestone tyres are in general not noted for being a quiet tyre. Also you say yourself that the car was standing for a long time so this might have an effect on the tyres condition.

Yes Chris as an afterthought i did conclude that that may be the cause as it gets a bit faster 70 ish it like an Helicopter rotor and like a slapping noise

I suppose there will be a void in the tyre where the air gets through I did ask the lad at the Tyre depot if i Should reinflate them higher but he said Catagorically No

The Tyres are Bridgestone Potensa EA33

2 hours ago, KayCee said:

Yes Chris as an afterthought i did conclude that that may be the cause as it gets a bit faster 70 ish it like an Helicopter rotor and like a slapping noise

I suppose there will be a void in the tyre where the air gets through I did ask the lad at the Tyre depot if i Should reinflate them higher but he said Catagorically No

The Tyres are Bridgestone Potensa EA33

Just to say that's a lovely car you have there. Given that I'm determined to stay with the Lexus brand a later GS450h is very much a contender when its 'time'.

Hope you get your tyre issues sorted. A relatively inexpensive piece of rubber can cause all kinds of issue to a car's overall feel and drive! 

I ended up having to get two 'cheapo' tyres at the back as on two separate occasions was caught far from home with a puncture. Think I could do better road noise wise. Always tried to get decent rubber on without spending silly money. Not an easy combination!

• Like 1

Wow, great looking car Robert, I am jealous!

As mentioned, it is indeed a very rare car.  Did you buy it from a dealer?

I am tempted to do the same once my time with my current GS is up.

Yes Shahpor i went down to TonBridge wells Lexus dealer from Yorkshire 210ml  was 14 k and my car runs well apart from the noisy tyres

also something else i have noticed ( I have got the Lexus Warranty) the rear speakers sound a bit muffled when you move fadar to back speakers I have to turn volume up i cant say i noticed that on my 14 reg

On 5/24/2021 at 4:14 PM, KayCee said:

Decided to trade in my 14 450h  Premier for a 18 Gs450 Premier running very well but tyres are a bit noisy they are Bridestone Potenza the car had been stood awhile at Lexus Tonbridge wells so i took it to my local Tyre depot .

They said the tyres are showing signs of perishing(maybe with it being stood) but the lad said when he rubbed hand over tyre the back tyres were concaved said at some time they have been over inflated and only running on the out sides of the  tyre said i exoect that s why they noisy.

As any one experienced this before because they are noisy.

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

Lovely car! good choice.

If the tyres are allowing an air gap in the centre allowing air to flow through the cetre part, I would be more concerned when it rained. Water build up would lead to aquaplaning which is something to be avoided. I would change them on the grounds of safety.

Apologies for jumping on this thread but if I we’re to start a new one it would have the same heading! Similar car, but not the quick one like yours. It comes with the optional big wheels to make it look like it goes fast though. Been swatting up on how to keep cream leather clean. So if anyone has any hints I’d be grateful. So far all I know is to ban anyone from entering wearing blue jeans. I asked the salesman at Cheltenham Lexus if he had any leftover sales brochures and he gave me one for the pre facelift GS. Thanks to the people on eBay I now have the correct brochure so if anyone is interested in the original just send me a PM.

Traded in my RCF so it will be a very different drive, but previously I drove one of the last Honda Legends for 150000 miles and as moving about is legal again I plan to enjoy more Motorway wafting. 

6E12B77A-75A1-4A00-9795-A68EE1BBD5F7.jpeg

6 hours ago, Legendliving said:

Apologies for jumping on this thread but if I we’re to start a new one it would have the same heading! Similar car, but not the quick one like yours. It comes with the optional big wheels to make it look like it goes fast though. Been swatting up on how to keep cream leather clean. So if anyone has any hints I’d be grateful. So far all I know is to ban anyone from entering wearing blue jeans. I asked the salesman at Cheltenham Lexus if he had any leftover sales brochures and he gave me one for the pre facelift GS. Thanks to the people on EBay I now have the correct brochure so if anyone is interested in the original just send me a PM.

Traded in my RCF so it will be a very different drive, but previously I drove one of the last Honda Legends for 150000 miles and as moving about is legal again I plan to enjoy more Motorway wafting. 

How did you find your Legend?? I seriously considered one of these about 6 years ago. Test drove a couple but ended up with an E60 523i instead. I could have got a similar year Legend for about 2 grand cheaper (and paid the extra fuel) but I really liked the immaculate tan interior of the E60. Was just extremely glad I had a year's warranty with the E60 though!!!!!

The Legend was a dream to own and drive. That 3.5 litre vtec engine rumbled along effortlessly around town but came to life over 4000 revs with a fantastic growl. The torque vectoring four wheel drive made for totally assured fast driving through the twisties, surprising for such a big heavy car. Mine had the adaptive cruise/ LKAS which unlike most people apparently, I loved, as it made for completely effortless Motorway driving. And an unusual feature back then. Very luxurious hard wearing interior. And people shouldn’t be put off by all that tech, as mine was completely reliable until I sold it with 180000 on the clock.

4ACD7C03-5BE5-4C66-B491-573E304F68C4.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Legendliving said:

The Legend was a dream to own and drive. That 3.5 litre vtec engine rumbled along effortlessly around town but came to life over 4000 revs with a fantastic growl. The torque vectoring four wheel drive made for totally assured fast driving through the twisties, surprising for such a big heavy car. Mine had the adaptive cruise/ LKAS which unlike most people apparently, I loved, as it made for completely effortless Motorway driving. And an unusual feature back then. Very luxurious hard wearing interior. And people shouldn’t be put off by all that tech, as mine was completely reliable until I sold it with 180000 on the clock.

4ACD7C03-5BE5-4C66-B491-573E304F68C4.jpeg

I'd happily trust Honda 'tech' as I would Lexus 'tech. Built to a spec as opposed to a cost. The two Accord V6 Coupes I had over a period of 7 years were both absolutely faultless. Not a single repair required bar service items.  Both had the relatively low tech 3.0 SOHC V6 but not a single issue. 

That generation of Legend sold very well in the USA although I believe it was badged as an Accura. 

On 5/26/2021 at 8:41 AM, Grumps said:

If the tyres are allowing an air gap in the centre allowing air to flow through the cetre part, I would be more concerned when it rained. Water build up would lead to aquaplaning which is something to be avoided. I would change them on the grounds of safety.

Thanks for advice Never thought there could be a bit of danger with the concave rear wheels  but i have ordered Some Goodyear Eagles 5s just waiting for the Tyre place to get them in.

I had eagle 3s on the 2010 450 and they were superb very quiet so am hoping the are just as good on the mk4

• Like 1

Congratulations for your new car.

Sorry for jumping on the thread, but a few weeks ago I've picked up my 2017 GS300h F Sport in White F Sport with the Dark Rose interior.

I've taken it to a mechanic just to give it a once over and he noticed that the tyre walls are cracked on all four tyres. I'm surprised that the Lexus dealership has sold me the car with tyres in such poor condition, so now I need to replace all four tyres.

Nevertheless. please see a few pics on the day I bought it:

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 23.31.27 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 23.31.27 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 23.31.27 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 23.31.27.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow Smart  Looking Car Shame about Your Tyres

Same boat as me

You cant believe something as critical as tyres and they dont show care. I asked if warranty would cover it but they said no

7 hours ago, lexusisfan said:

I've taken it to a mechanic just to give it a once over and he noticed that the tyre walls are cracked on all four tyres. I'm surprised that the Lexus dealership has sold me the car with tyres in such poor condition, so now I need to replace all four tyres.

1 hour ago, KayCee said:

Wow Smart  Looking Car Shame about Your Tyres

Same boat as me

You cant believe something as critical as tyres and they dont show care. I asked if warranty would cover it but they said no

It is not a warranty matter. If the tyres are not of legal quality for any reason, then if the car has been bought from  the Dealer within the last 6 months, the Dealer is obliged to replace at his cost.

• Like 1

I agree with John.

If you have only had the cars a few weeks and you bought them from a dealer, I would be straight on the phone to them about it.

After all, cracks and perished tyres don't happen overnight, so there should be no doubt that they were there when the car was sold.

If the dealer refuses, then I would escalate to Lexus UK as the car wasn't prepared to the correct standard when sold.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I don't think you'll get anywhere. When I got my car (Lexus used approved) from Lexus Stoke they did an MoT that day (they'd forgotten to do it during pre-sale prep! - it had an MoT certificate but they advertise at least 9 months and it only had 2 to go) and it had two tyre advisories - nearside rear worn close to legal limit and nearside front tread breaking up. I complained to them and to Lexus UK - they both said they only replace tyres if they are down to 1.6mm tread.

I was not a happy bunny.

Tyre wall cracks are a bit subjective - if they are not deep the tyres are probably legal. Whether you want to drive on them is another matter.

2 hours ago, johnatg said:

I complained to them and to Lexus UK - they both said they only replace tyres if they are down to 1.6mm tread.

I remember when I purchased my first used Lexus, which was back in 2001/2002. Back then all their cars went through a very detailed independent inspection (I think the AA), which would mean every stone chip or issue had to be resolved, all tyres needed at least 4mm of thread and it would always be serviced so you didn't have to worry about it for the next 9k miles/1 year.

Sadly those standards are long gone, now approved used Lexus doesn't really mean anything other than it has service history and comes with the, admittedly great, Lexus extended warranty. Body work marks won't be resolved unless negotiated at time of sale, provided the tyres are legal they won't be changed, a service will only be done if it is less than 3 months before the next one is due.

indeed it is

Just as a rider when i bought the car I had my trusty tyre gauge with me and it showed 4mm rears and 5 fronts i did ask at the time it wont be long till it needs new tyres can you change them as goodwill i got a firm no as the tyres are legal I didnt know at the time about the Concave tread till i took it to the Tyre Depot at home

As i said i thought the tyres were just a noisy brand and i would replace them before winter set in.

but i have now ordered the rears

18 hours ago, KayCee said:

Thanks for advice Never thought there could be a bit of danger with the concave rear wheels  but i have ordered Some Goodyear Eagles 5s just waiting for the Tyre place to get them in.

I had eagle 3s on the 2010 450 and they were superb very quiet so am hoping the are just as good on the mk4

Just a heads up on the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 - I bought two a couple of weeks ago from Black Circles. Whilst searching I noticed on the Goodyear web site https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tires/eagle_f1_asymmetric5.EAGF1AS5.html that they are now Run Flat. Don't know if all F1 A5s are or if that is an option. Anyway there was a few days delay in them arriving and when I had them fitted I noticed that they were quite old - made week 27 2020 and this was in May 21. They are not run flat. Also they are no longer listed on the web site as being available in my size 235/45 R 18 - the only people who had them in stock was Black Circles.

Run Flats have advantages and disadvantages - be aware of what you are getting.

I had them fitted at Black Circles Pit Stop (Tesco service station Handforth) - brilliant! Very small place - two bays, two fully equipped tiny workshops, appointed time, no waiting - took 20 minutes. No hanging around with a queue discussing prices, MoTs, tyre problems etc. All they do is fit tyres you've ordered from Black Circles at the appointed time. They have a rack to hold a few tyres but no stock.

21 minutes ago, johnatg said:

Just a heads up on the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 - I bought two a couple of weeks ago from Black Circles. Whilst searching I noticed on the Goodyear web site https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tires/eagle_f1_asymmetric5.EAGF1AS5.html that they are now Run Flat. Don't know if all F1 A5s are or if that is an option. Anyway there was a few days delay in them arriving and when I had them fitted I noticed that they were quite old - made week 27 2020 and this was in May 21. They are not run flat. Also they are no longer listed on the web site as being available in my size 235/45 R 18 - the only people who had them in stock was Black Circles.

Run Flats have advantages and disadvantages - be aware of what you are getting.

I had them fitted at Black Circles Pit Stop (Tesco service station Handforth) - brilliant! Very small place - two bays, two fully equipped tiny workshops, appointed time, no waiting - took 20 minutes. No hanging around with a queue discussing prices, MoTs, tyre problems etc. All they do is fit tyres you've ordered from Black Circles at the appointed time. They have a rack to hold a few tyres but no stock.

Very odd, Asymmetric 5 replaces 3's yet my Germany date code is May 21? And they are a month old from Halfords.. At the time 5 was not an option for 235/55/19. I see Halfords are doing yours for 143 - 15%

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links